1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Things to do if you never had to work again or won the lottery.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by PaulBowdry, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulBowdry

PaulBowdry Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am curious what everybody on here would like to do if they won the lottery or never had to work again. Me personally I was thinking I would love to travel around the country trying all the places they show on the Food Network. Like just go state to state trying the best places in there. Or I would like to go to every baseball park and watch a game. I think I have been watching too much of the food network.

2. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well when (clearing throat) I do win the lottery, after paying off my home I would definitely put more time into travel. I would do the majority of it by way of road trips. There's still plenty to see in the good ole USA as far as I'm concerned. Would definitely love to dive into an old goal of mine which is to become fluent in Spanish. It's a part of me and I would just like to be able to say more than hi or bye as well as count to ten. That's the thing, money gives you options so I would love to be able to exercise a few some day...

3. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to a car dealership, buying a nice new car and then piling the family inside for a six-hour drive up to Pebble Beach. We'll check into the Lodge with an unspecified check-out date and start deciding what to do with our newfound riches while on vacation.

4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well there's no chance of me winning the lottery. I don't play any more, gave up on that voluntary tax for the mathematically inept mostly for the tax part as I do realize people win and I did hit a $50K scratch ticket here in Mass in 2008. I just see my taxes being constantly wasted by government and don't want to contribute more.

So let's presume I find a huge sum of money by some other means, free and clear of IRS suspicion (yeah, like that's gonna happen!). I would pay off the house and car, go on a gambling bender of epic proportions in Vegas and then go back to work.

My mind is sharp, I love to share my knowledge and I'm not ready to hang around the the house while I slowly die. My new boss is a young lady who can barely spell two words in a sentence correctly. I make more than twice what she does. Interesting dynamic to enjoy for a few more years.

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quit my job and hit the road!

6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do pretty much the same things as I do now, but better, and would give much more to certain charities and nonprofits.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends on the amount. Last Christmas someone bought a scratch off for the $5000 a week Set for Life. I'd immediately pay off my little debt and then pay off my mortgage while continuing to work. Then I'd save a little for a year and then quit. I'd go study music full time. I actually thought about it.

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd move to Summerlin and join some country club full of nouveau riche dbags.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. :nworthy:

10. SteveO

SteveO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Believe it or not, my wife and I have actually talked about this.

Pay off mortgage.
    Establish trust funds for grandsons (2) for college and maybe even afterwards. If we won enough there could even be money for their first homes.
    Establish college scholarships at the high schools our mothers attended for outstanding but needy students who want to major in nursing, teaching or engineering.
    Pay off daughter and son in laws mortgage (only one daughter, no sons).
    Give money to brothers and sisters (amount dependent on how much we won).
    Pay off college loans for my niece.
    Wife - Do an extensive landscaping project with water features in back yard (and we have a huge back yard).
    Add some square footage to house (we have 2000 SF now but wife complains of size of bathroom).
    Buy vacation condo on the ocean north of Miami or north of Tampa (have family north of Tampa).
    Travel more (probably eat more too)
    Invest the rest in relatively safe investments. Happy with 3% - 5% return.
    Travel to Las Vegas much more.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, we would buy a place in Bend. Oh, and an Audi S6. And the new-gen Ridgeline when it comes out next year.

12. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd sleep in all the time.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly don't know what we would do. It wouldn't be buy a bigger house, we are looking to downsize.

Maybe buy a condo somewhere and be snowbirds? But, we can afford to do that now, we just don't know where to move to for the winter. We tried Vegas year round and weren't happy with that decision.

It'll be my wife's money if she wins. I stopped playing the lottery when we moved back to WI in 2010. Before we moved to Vegas we both invested our $2 per week for around 30 years, now just my wife does it, it has lost it's thrill for me. I'll but a ten spot when it goes over 200 mil, but that's about it.

She has played the same numbers for over 30 years. Now she can't quit. What if they finally came in, she be devastated. I always did quick pick.

14. PaulBowdry

PaulBowdry Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like sleeping in I think I would do that one too.

15. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

My day would go something like this if I were to win a certain amount playing the lottery:

morning cardio, breakfast, nap, personal training session, late lunch, nap, dinner, Netflix/TV, sleep

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Set up trusts for my kids,Get my ducks lined up then hit the road for a while till everybody looking for a piece of the pie gets tired of phoning.and writing .
    Limo all my good friends to AC for a hell of a good party right before we take off.

17. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy a beachfront condo in Virginia Beach and watch the jets zoom by!
    20120913-IMG_0895.jpg

18. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might think I'm crazy, but I would pay off my parents house, buy them a couple nice cars and move back in with them. They honestly live in one of the best neighborhoods I've ever experienced. All the neighbors are like family.

I think I'd get a place near a beach somewhere too. Especially so I could escape the Ohio cold. Maybe a nice house in Manhattan Beach, CA.

Travel!

Open a pizza shop.

19. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I would love to move to the desert.. We loved visiting Arizona before we discovered Vegas. Have a glorious house, probably overlooking a golf course, with an awesome infinity pool and cool outdoor kitchen. Get in really good shape, play some golf with the hubby, and, of course, visit Vegas MUCH more often.

And I would have a killer wardrobe with amazing southwestern jewelry and art.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwestern art rocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.