1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Care to rank spa facilities?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by MisplacedTexan, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm generally not a spa kind of guy, but on our last trip a buddy talked me into spending some time at the Encore spa -- soaking in the jacuzzi, letting the waterfall shower pound my shoulders, lounging in the sauna and steam rooms, napping in those fancy heated stone lounge chairs, trying to get out of that really cold plunge pool as fast as possible... Call me metro if you want, but I think I could make this sort of thing a regular deal when we visit.

My problem is, I think I may have started with the cream of the crop and anything else out there might pale in comparison. Anybody have any opinions as to who has the best, or nicest spa amenities?

2. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Encore (saw it for the first time this past April -- absolutely beautiful)
    Qua (bigger than Encore and a couple of extra common rooms -- has been my favorite day spa in the country for years but the opulence and beauty of Encore blew me away)
    Venetian/Canyon Ranch (nice but not a close third to Qua and felt kind of cold to me)
    Mandarin Oriental (Lovely spa but small and having to climb stairs for a treatment made it less relaxing initially. If it were bigger and were on one level I would rank it above the Venetian)
    Bellagio (Haven't been there in years but much less nice than the first four from what I recall. Unless they've updated it recently, I think it's time for an update.)
    Wynn (ditto what I said about Bellagio -- IMO the difference between the Encore and Wynn Spa is pretty significant)
    Flamingo (not fancy by any stretch but I've had the best massage in my life there with Erlinda and have booked two with her for my trip in late June/early July. The steam room there has been updated and is huge.)
    Red Rock (a nicer spa than Flamingo but I love the old school vibe of the Flamingo spa and Erlinda's massages)
    Bally's (not fancy but small and quiet/not crowded)
    Rio (same, seemed to be bigger than Bally's)

Haven't been to the Aria spa before but folks seem to like it. I can't imagine it being better than the Encore or Qua spa though.

3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This question seems to come up once a month at least. To me, Aria is the best. Excellent selection of treatments, relaxing large space, and great amenities (stone room, salt room, infinity pool on the balcony, hot and cold tubs, steam room, and sauna)

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  4. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah i think you pretty much nailed it on the first try, Encore is the nicest spa i been to in Vegas. Aria is very nice as well and its advantage is the co-ed area and the outdoor pool but falls a little short of Encore´s luxury and comfort. Also don't make the mistake of going to Wynn´s spa after being at Encore, although its nice its smaller and not over the top like Encore.

5. LetsDoThis

LetsDoThis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best
    1. encore
    2. Manderin - get the day pass!
    3. Aria

Worst
    Canyon ranch

Going to try Qua day pass on my upcoming trip.

6. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of those that I have been to, in order of my personal preference, and the approximate date I was last there.

Best:
    Luxor (2005)
    Spa Costa del Sur @ South Point (2010)
    Drift @ Palms Place (2014)
    Mandalay Bay (2004)
    Bellagio (2012)
    Golden Nugget (2013)
    Ballys (2015)
    LVH/westgate (2009)
    Orleans (2014)
    Monte Carlo (2010)
    Flamingo (2011)

Disclaimers. I haven't been to some of these in quite a while. All of my ratings are based on facility environment, as I seldom get treatments. The standard is high; even the Flamingo, my lowest rated, isn't bad at all.

The Luxor got extra credit for having a TV in the wet room, so one could sit naked in the jacuzzi while watching a football game that had been wagered upon, while being served pineapple juice by a spa attendant. That was the holy grail of decadence. I don't know if it still has a TV. Probably doesn't, and I haven't seen one anywhere since. If anyone has seen such a thing recently, please let me know because I have been pining for it. It is small for a strip spa. I haven't been there since it was rebranded.

The South Point has a really nice spa, much nicer than I would have expected for an off-strip property. But then again, most things there seem to exceed expectations, from the rooms to the matzo ball soup at the deli. The Drift Spa @ Palms is also very nice but more contemporary and is all slate surfaces. It's a place that still will sell a day pass to a non-guest ($25 I think); most other places didn't last time I checked. Both of these places are much smaller than some of the spas on the strip, which is fine with me.

I agree with other commenters that the Bellagio looks a little dated and is not in the top tier. It and the Mandalay are huge, which you may think is good or bad.

The others are all perfectly nice and recommended if you are in the area. Ballys let me into the spa facility at no extra charge; it was included in the resort fee, including locker, robe, and sandals. Does anyone else do this?
    Flamingo is dated but the showers each have 4 shower heads spraying at you from all directions, so you don't have to make any difficult choices.

When I have gotten treatments at hotel spas, they have disappointed every time. That's what happens when therapists are hired based on their appearance rather than their therapy skills. If you want an actual massage, I had a very good and very reasonably priced one from Tony out in Henderson, whose website is maxrelax.org.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  7. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the responses, everybody! This a good start to making a game plan for future visits. We're making an unexpected trip next month and we're staying at the South Point for the first time. My wife is going to take advantage of a TravelZoo massage and pedicure deal at Spa Costa del Sur and I figure I'll chill in the wet spa while she's doing her thing.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though many of the above spas have their good and bad, I have something else that matters even more.

The spa that is located in the same hotel where I am staying usually wins out. Getting on the car, or walking a mile to get to a spa defeats the entire relaxation thing.

9. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends on the situation. Its always nice when going to a spa hotel when you can just put on some slippers and a nice robe and just head up to the room after your treatment. In Vegas its different however since you will shower and change back into clothes. Having done all that then i don't see a drive or walk to another hotel as a problem. Heck i drive back from the spa in my home town every time and still enjoy it. Having said all that i do what you do when in Vegas but mostly because I'm lazy when I'm on vacation.

10. btaller

btaller Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

The Mirage has a nice flat screen so you can watch the games while soaking in the hot tub. While it's not as fancy as the higher end spas on the strip, the spa attendant was on the ball and the facilities had everything necessary for a great relaxing afternoon.

11. btaller

btaller Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy the spas and usually just get the day pass. I find it's a great way to relax after long stretches at poker.

My order of preference (with day pass pricing that I can recall):

Aria (love the shared areas including the infinity pool overlooking the pool) 35
    Encore (relaxing and usually pretty quiet) 40
    Mirage (a perfect balance between size and crowd plus they have nice facilities) 28
    Bellagio (great outdoor area overlooking the pool) 35
    Vdara (small but comfortable and rarely busy) 30
    Canyon Ranch (large, well maintained but noisy - especially the staff) 45
    Qua Spa (large, great facility, but too crowded) 45
    Wynn (not as nice as Encore but the same price) 40
    Mandalay Bay (Large Wet Area, but not very good service) 25
    MGM Grand (Too small for such a large resort, but they did have the hottest sauna) 25
    Excalibur (Had the place to myself - OK but nothing special) 20

Never Tried due to cost
    Mandarin - just couldn't justify the $80 cost.

I've been to most of them more than once but I keep coming back to Aria and Mirage. For the most part you get what you pay for. Also some spas are only available to guests of that hotel on certain days (for example Mandalay Bay only allows their hotel guests access on Friday and Saturday). Most charge a slight up fee if you are not staying with them specifically. Some offer discounts if you buy a 3 or 5 day pass.

12. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm also a big fan of Vegas spas and only hit them up on a day pass. I've only been to Aria, Mandalay, and Luxor. Aria is by far the nicest, but Mandalay has the most space to just relax and take a nap. The hot tubs have waterfalls and its pretty peaceful.

Aria's day pass cost is $30 for Aria/Vdara guests. $40 for nonguests.

You're correct about Mandalay Bay being strictly for it's hotel guests, but guests can get a day pass any day of the week.

:beer:

13. Jinx

Jinx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once you've visited and enjoyed a spa trip it's hard not to try and fit it in on future trips, I'm still a big fan of Qua at Caesars

14. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks btaller for this important information. I will check it out next visit.

15. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I am a bit worried about the spa at Palazzo...it doesn't seem to get much, if any, love.

I was hoping to have a massage and some relaxation time. Still worth it to go?

16. inceptiongeek

inceptiongeek Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of the ones that I have been to:

1-Bellagio --- beautiful, excellent staff, services were terrific
    2- MGM Grand --- great staff, very nice decor, services were good
    3- Cosmo --- very pretty, staff and services were average

17. inceptiongeek

inceptiongeek Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They completely re-did the Bellagio spa. It is awesome.

18. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it's worthwhile to go. I enjoyed the spa area after my workouts.

I can't speak to massage there.

19. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up...I am a sucker for massages and IMO they're like pizza...hard to screw up. I am looking forward to lounging there a couple days in July before I hit the pool

20. daniela

daniela Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spas are one of the main reasons I go to Vegas. I'm a spa addict and travel everywhere I find a great spa!!!

I tried most of the spas in Vegas:

1) Qua at Caesars: I do believe this is the number one spa in Vegas. It's hard to beat with so many different hot tubs (my favorite spa amenity), the roman baths are just paradise with three different tubs with different temperatures, dim light great for napping, and the shower from the ceiling making a really nice rain shower and rain noise to sleep to :) I also tried different massages and treatments there and they are all top notch!

2) Canyon Ranch at Venetian/Palazzo: the biggest spa on the strip and probably in the country. Very nice with different rooms and experiences. Large co-ed area, I know for some people this is important although I think a day at the spa is better spent alone :) My only pet peeve about this spa is that they only have one small hot tub :( They have a huge facility and they only put a tiny hot tub in it???!!!! I just don't get it :)

3) Mandarin Oriental: I know it's super expensive but the level of service here is something out of this world! It's a very bright spa with big windows overlooking the strip, so might not be good for people who prefer darker spa. Their hot tub it's one of a kind with lounges in it where you can lay down totally submerged in water and admiring the strip from the window in front of you.

4) Aria. It's a very nice facility but I don't know why I don't really like it or feel comfortable or relaxed there. Not enough lounge chairs around the hot tubs and not a lot of places to just lounge and relax unless you go to the co-ed area. I like to go to spas alone and I like to relax in a female only environment so maybe this is just why I don't really enjoy this spa. The infinity pool outside (although co-ed) it's amazing during the winter when it's cold outside.

5) Encore: very nice and classy but very basic. The hot tubs area is nice with 2 huge hot tubs and heated stone lounges. Other than that there's only a steam sauna and a dry sauna. Again very nice but I was expecting more from Encore.

6) Cosmo: smaller spa compered to the others but quite nice. The hot tub is great and has a waterfall you can sit under. Not a lot of lounges around the hot tubs though. They have a great service menu though with some interesting and one of a kind treatments.

Special mention to an off-strip spa:

Red Rock my go to off strip hotel :) The spa is included in the resort fees so you don't have to pay for a day pass if you're staying there. Spa is not too big and very basic but has a private outside pool area with cabanas and very comfortable couches that you can just relax on. So you can have a cabana for yourself for free if it's not too crowded :) It rarely is crowded but they only have three cabanas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.