1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flying to and from Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Mgilmore, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mgilmore

Mgilmore Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll start out by saying that we don't fly very often, so I don't know all the rules when it comes to plane tickets. We bought a flight to and from Vegas a few months ago, both of the flights are NONstop. We were just informed that our flight back now has a stop in LA (we are going to Columbus, OH), where we will have an hr layover and change planes. Is this normal? I thought when you paid for a nonstop flight that it meant something. Like I said I haven't flown a lot, so I thought I would get on here and ask. Thanks

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's BS, non stops usually cost the most
    which airline is this?

3. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    frank67 is right generally they are more expensive except when I've flown Southwest they were cheaper.

Also, I've not once seen a layover added to a flight once purchased. Are you certain from your confirmation that it was non-stop?

4. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very odd, indeed! To go from non stop to plane change is pretty dramatic. I, too, would be interested in the airline, and I would double check your original reservations. IF what you say has actually happened I would raise holy hell and demand a non stop return flight!

5. Bac4life

Bac4life Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree, I have been flying Southwest for years and almost monthly. From my experience, I have never had a layover on a scheduled nonstop flight. Also depending on time of day, nonstop flights on Southwest can be alot cheaper when booked in advance.

6. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The same thing happened to my brother and sister-in-law with their flight to Vegas. If I remember correctly, they booked a flight at an airport little bit further away because it was non-stop.

7. hattrick225

hattrick225 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was wondering the same thing. If you're originating and returning to Columbus, the only non-stop service CMH -> LAS is with Southwest. That said, I've never had a layover added to a non-stop once purchased. If that's what happened, I'd contact the airline if I were you and demand they make it right (ie put you on another non-stop flight, make up the $$ difference etc)

Vegas Vacation 2024
  8. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It doesn't matter if the confirmation was non-stop. They can change flight times, they can cancel flights and they can add a layover. The only problem is if the airline has limited flights a day and even more limited or no other non-stop flights a day, then there isn't much that can be done.

9. Mgilmore

Mgilmore Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to take so long to reply, I was out buying some clothes for Vegas!! It is through United, we are from Columbus, actually flying out of Cleveland. Again sorry to take so long. My wife thinks this is business as usual, but I plan on raising hell!!!!:wink2:

10. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually your mileage may vary when it comes to whether non-stops are more expensive than connecting flights.

For example if I want to fly from IAH to LAS direct I just paid $800 this morning for my ticket. This is a direct non-stop in first on United.

If I wanted to connect via LAX it would have cost me at least $972 or more.

So connecting flights aren't always cheaper.

Additionally it is rare that airlines will change a schedule like that but not unheard of. I am glad that they at least notified you with an ample amount of warning. Sometimes they have been known to change it a day or two before.

United is no longer hubbed in Cleveland so this could have something to do with it. Here's what you can do - I have seen folks have success calling in and letting the airline know that they'd booked a non-stop and since that flight has been changed they will look to see if they can re-book you on a non-stop OR they could offer you an more palatable connection.

Good luck!

11. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to thread jack totally but my first Vegas trip was out of Dayton, Ohio via United through Chicago. About a week before the trip I got an email saying the Chicago-Vegas portion of the trip had been discontinued(?!) Instead, I would be flying from Dayton to NEWARK, NJ to Vegas. The plane to Newark was so small I couldn't even stand up in it.(6'3") It had two and two seats and was mighty uncomfortable! Craziest thing of all was seeing a United flight to Chicago a few gates away from us, leaving at almost the same time we were originally scheduled to fly. When I called United upon getting the email I was told if I didn't like it I could simply cancel. A week out this was not an option, but the operator sure wasn't very friendly.

12. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the standard is that if you will arrive more than 4 hours later than your original schedule, have an excessively tight connection (1 hr sounds tight to me at LAX, but I'm usually changing terminals) or you have to leave early and can make the case that you will miss something because of this, they will re-book you on some different route, or even day, and waive the fee difference. If the non-stop service has been cancelled, you may not come out ahead anyways, but non-stop vs. one stop isn't a reason for United to change things just on its face.

13. Mgilmore

Mgilmore Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're going to call them in the morning to at least let them know that we are not happy about the change. Instead of getting on the plane and not worrying about anything, now we have 50 minutes to catch a flight when we get to LAX.

14. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree!

15. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah that is a tight connection...it leaves you no room for error on the flight out of LAS.

What dates are you flying? Do you have a connection from Columbus on the way out to Vegas?

I was just looking on United.com and everything from CMH is showing a connection in LAX, DEN or ORD

16. Mgilmore

Mgilmore Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are actually flying to and from Cleveland (we are driving up there). Nonstop there

17. Mgilmore

Mgilmore Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leaving May 25th-June 2nd

18. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok thanks...I just looked at those dates and it looks like on 02 June there is a non-stop leaving Vegas at 947am.

I see the LAS-LAX-CLE flight you're talking about and it, and all other connecting flights, are indeed cheaper.

If you're uncomfortable with the 50min connection and do not want to take the early morning direct flight back to CLE then you can have them change you to a connecting flight through Houston, Denver or Chicago that will give you more of a connecting cushion.

19. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would demand a refund of the fare difference between the original non-stop flight, and the flight they put you on.
    Look at the day of travel...then go to their website and look up your flight on that day a few months later.
    Look at that airfare & compare it to what you paid.
    Demand the fare difference back... or better still, an upgrade to First...both ways!

Annual Spring Trip!
  20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, take a minute and get the FACTS. What was the ORIGINAL departure time and arrival time? Get that email and see how close the new plan is. You may have purchased a "direct" flight that usually (not always) means you stay on the plane when it has an intermediate stop. If you had that, but now change planes, no big deal at all.

On the other hand, if they changed your total flight time, then they usually will let you take an alternate flight.

Again, before calling, get the facts. This time it means you should go online and see what the options are. Keep in mind, they can only switch you to flights that exist. If they dropped the non stop, they can not book you on it since it does not exist.

In summary:
    1 - Review your original booking. They sent you an email with the details.
    2 - Review the current flights at United.com
    3 - Decide what you would like BEFORE you call (no change, change flight, cancel/refund)
    4 - Flight changes happen often

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.