1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bar Rescue: Sand Dollar Lounge Blooper

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by TIMSPEED2, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, I just saw this episode...
    I can't believe it, they HAD to of mixed up the clips...because the "Big Player", said "Man, these pay tables are lousy" and I paused it on the paytable he was sitting at...LOL! 10/7 DB (100.07%, basically THE highest returning video poker)
    Then a later clip showed Anthony Curtis saying how they IMPROVED the pay tables, and I paused it again to look closer... 8/5 JoB! HAHAHA
    Also, at the end they said "Sand Dollar has THE highest paying video poker in Vegas." There's NO WAY they left it at 10/7 DB...the 8/5 JoB I can believe...
    Just funny, I thought.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're joking.

3. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "There's NO WAY they left it at 10/7 DB"

Actually they DID leave it at 10/7 for at least some months after the show, on two of the fourteen machines after the reopening, and had gambling promotions in addition.

What I find MORE interesting about this type of show is how they report on the reopening, and how business improved in the weeks following. But, as I suspect happens in many cases,, this bar undid just about EVERY SINGLE change that was made on the show. The good VP, the band/music types (went back to blues), and to ice the cake, even changed the name back to the old name! I read that later, and still today, the VP machines were all removed from the bar. Obviously, these things wouldn't be done unless the changes shown on TV were not improving business in the months after the show.

Oh, and in true "reality TV" fashion, the "big player" was a plant. He is Blair Rodman, a friend/contributor of Anthony Curtis' business. And so, his comments were planned/scripted for the show.

4. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    of course its scripted, 99% of "reality tv" is

now they rescued one on bourbon street in new orleans and changed it to "spirits on bourban" its always packed now b/c of the tv fame, they play the episode on tvs on a loop and the only thing that they changed after the show id the made a special drink for them. the owner said the cups they used just wasnt cost effective to keep selling as it was a molded skull that lit up...he may still do them in that cup but small quantities

from what i heard, any place jon t rescues, he gets a part of the buissness if its successful

5. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of these "Rescue"-type shows seem to have a high failure rate. It isn't hard to understand--the food/beverage service business is treacherous to start with and their are many decent management teams with good concepts that fail. The shows don't focus on that type of business because they would not make good TV. They are not likely to be filthy or have a lot of unemployable employees. They need to go to the bottom of the barrel and attempt rescues with people who really should find another line of work. They have horrible management, often no experience, and hire people others would not employ.

Jon T, if he gets a piece of success, has an extra sweet deal. The money for the renovations likely comes from the advertisers for the infomercial feel of parts of the show; he has no real investment, only a chance for upside.

The rescue folks leave and management reverts to their failing ways...then the business fails. Read through the "updates" and see how many "rescues" actually work...

6. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of the failures are from debt. They are often in severe debt, and even a 20% increase in sales is not enough to pay off their debt that they owe.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the places in Bar Rescue is down the block from me. I've never been in there before or after the rescue. Before the rescue the place looked a little sleazy. After the rescue it looks fake. This is on a Queens, NY, side street, not a strip mall or major road. So it looks really out of place.

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh ha! I KNEW I recognized him from somewhere!

9. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oo

Say it Ain't So!

Enjoy that silly show, but alas, "Clean this mess up!" doing the Bar Rescue game, every time Taffer yells at someone /take a drink!
    /Ringer:poke:Ringer, your shows a Dinger!

Reminds me of the House Hunters show in Austin,
    where one of the 3 choices was already owned by the pickers, and guess what?
    They picked their own house, lol!!!! :thumbsdown:

10. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know they did a bar here in Austin a while back. From what I saw, they did what all the other ones did. Went back to a hard/death metal place. And, I think they're closed now.

He makes a lot of changes, and I think a lot of the owners just go back to the "my way's best" mentality.

11. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think a lot of times the changes are too extreme for the owners and the clientele. Makes for good TV though, I guess.

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe the owners don't like the new theme and renovations but what they had before wasn't working, they were losing thousands and had no idea how to run a bar. And that is the real problem. You can put lipstick on a pig and you still have a pig. You can fix up a bar all you want but if the owners are still idiots the bar will fail. SOME seem to "get it" but many do not. I've been to several Bar Rescue bars, in Vegas and elsewhere. Some of them have kept the theme and seem to be doing well. Others are..... well,... idiots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.