1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

is this a good deal

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by vegas crazy, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegas crazy

vegas crazy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got a hire car for 317 dollars for 1 week.I requested ford mustang with full liability and CDW plus mechanical breakdown cover which they have agreed to supply.ive heard so much abt scams that I'm worried I'm overpaying .

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have the actual quote showing all the insurance charges? Those will easily be the bulk of your rate. Mustang is often in a speciality or higher priced group as well.

As to being a good rate - I would always price things out at 3-4 agencies. They all are online and will quote prices online. Keep in mind a few agencies are off site and not with the airport.

By the way, Americans call this a rental car, vs a hire car. Same thing.

3. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you paid too much. Of course, I have no idea what the rates of competing companies are, the dates on which you are traveling, or the reason for wanting a Mustang.

I have never heard of an extra charge for liability insurance or mechanical breakdown coverage. These items are usually provided simply for renting the car. As for the CDW, this is generally covered by your credit card company, but you will have to be the ultimate judge of whether you feel there is value in that product. Plan to add about $20 per day for the privilege of purchasing that product

Generally speaking, a car that seats four adults comfortably can usually be had for $200 for a week or less, including all taxes. As an example, I used Budget to for my last Las Vegas rental. I rented a Mustang Convertible for $194 for 1 week, including all taxes. (I opted out of CDW as my own auto insurance and credit card already cover me.) Obviously rates will vary with supply and demand.

As an aside, I was not overly impressed with the Mustang I rented and would simply choose a standard car next time.

4. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too think your price might be a bit high. First check with your insurance company to see if you are covered here in the states with a rental car. Those insurance add ons from the rental companies can be extremely expensive, so if you are already covered you can save some money there.

You also didn't mention which rental company you were pricing, or when you will be renting. Rental car prices can vary widely in Las Vegas. It can pay to check with several companies to get quotes for your dates. Once you find an acceptable rate go ahead and book it, but don't do the "pay now" booking. Frequently the price will drop as your travel date gets closer, you can then book the lower rate and cancel to higher rate with no charge or penalties.

5. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's examine this, comparing to estimated taxi expense for a 1-week trip.
    Arrive, take cab from airport to hotel..assuming a strip property, let's call this $30.
    Let's assume three $15 cab rides per day for the next 6 days, for a total of $270.
    Now, one last cab ride back to the airport for $25.

Add it all up, and it's $325... and you can drink as much as you wish...you will be in and out of the airport MUCH faster than either picking up a rent car or dropping one off.
    You do not have to worry about parking, or the tips that you would spend using Valet parking.

I never rent a car in Vegas anymore...I always take cabs... and I never spend more than $40/day for cabs on my trips... that would be $280 for 7 days.
    Of course, I like to drink, and I hate driving in traffic even when I'm not drinking!
    So, for me it's a no-brainer...I take cabs.
    (Although, I've become a fan of the WAX bus for the trip between the airport & downtown! That saves me $70 in cab expense per trip.)

Annual Spring Trip!
  6. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really, its not that bad. Premium car , with premium insurance. I would never get all that coverage .

7. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you take just one trip to Hoover Dam, Ring of Fire, Laughlin, etc . Makes it well worth the MONEY.

8. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, but then why not rent the car for that one trip? Or for those trips? Why rent it for a week if you're only going to use it once-to-three times during that week?
    Point of it is to look at the daily cost of cabs versus the cost of the weekly car rental for use in Vegas. $317/7 = $45.29. That's more than most of us who use cabs spend on cabs!
    Obviously, if you're not renting it for "Vegas", then all of that changes.

Annual Spring Trip!
  9. vegas crazy

vegas crazy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sry guys didn't supply much info there I'm from Ireland so I would require the insurance as I'm not fully comp.I will be going outside of Vegas also the insurance does make up a third of the bill ,the mustang would be a rare find in Ireland and maybe my fav ford tbh.it was more the actual rental of $211.insurance totals $106.Alamo is the company I went with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.