1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TPC Sawgrass, #17

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trick or treat? Flop or fabulous?

2. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have not had the opportunity to play TPC Sawgrass, but I would answer treat and fabulous. It is a fairly easy hole for the Pros if the winds are calm, but if the wind is up, which it usually is during the tournament, I think it makes for an exciting make or break type of hole.

My Longest Trip Ever
  3. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

I've always found it fun to watch and enjoyed playing it myself. Of course, it is a bit gimmicky. I honestly don't know if The Players would be as popular without that hole.

4. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really wonder sometimes.
    I've played PGA West Stadium 17 many times, almost the same shot, and since the ball is on a tee I just don't get the way it causes such consternation.
    Maybe if they had the same shot from a downhill lie with the ball below their feet or something that would make more sense.
    Sure makes for good t.v. as so many of those watching go "welcome to my world."

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alcatraz is an easier target than TPC's 17, I think. Longer shot, but the green lacks the immense tiers of Sawgrass -- they'd don't remotely show on TV -- and the island is larger. I've never played Augusta, but as they say about 12, it is the wind that really makes it interesting.

I love the hole. I'm glad they got rid of the do/die of any potential playoff starting there, but I am a big fan of the hole. Even with the swirling and on/off wind, if you don't go flag-hunting it can be hit every time (by these guys). And if you do go flag-hunting, it should be tough; it's a flippin' wedge. But if you don't go flag hunting and you're putting back to front or front to back, make sure you've tithed heavily in recent months.

The naysayers say tricked-up or target-whatever. Like the entire course, it's actually very strategic.

6. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played it once. If it wasn't for the water and the thoughts that it puts in your head, it is a pretty easy hole for an amateur. When I played it, it was 126 from the whites to the middle. I hit a smooth PW and hit the green but 3 putted. :thumbsdown:

7. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's a great hole. Any hole that can add drama and excitement like this one does is a plus in my book. It must be on the players' minds all the way round knowing that no.17 is still to come!

8. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any tips for the tournament? I'm backing Zach Johnson to finish in the top 7. Difficult to see past Rory and Spieth for an outright winner though.

9. Amn1410

Amn1410 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played it a few times. It really is an easy shot for a little more experienced player, but it makes you hold on to the club a little tighter that's for sure. Even at a +.8 handicap, I was a little nervous over the 132 yard wedge.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, if you are on the big island go play at Big Island Country Club. They have a hole that is modeled after the 17th at Sawgrass. I think the greens are slower and more receptive because the 2 times I played there I had no problem keeping it on the dance floor. Most of the greens in Hawaii aren't very fast, I think Pearl CC probably has the fastest greens on the island of Oahu.

Other than that hole and the turkeys roaming around the rest of the course was okay but nothing special. Last time I visited they didn't have a clubhouse and the pro shop seemed like 2 containers put together (not much to it).

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been there a couple times. You hearing any word on Makalei closing?

And since this is a Vegas board ... #15 at Paiute Wolf.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not hear about Makalei closing. They seemed busy the times I played there and seemed to be the local "muni" course on the Kona side so play was excruciatingly slow (I played as a solo and nobody in front would let me pass, I think it took over 5:15 to play there).

Wow, seems like you played at most of the courses in Hawaii. I still have to play Hualalai, not sure but before they only allowed guests who stayed at the resort to play there. Strange that the golf magazines say that it is a "public" course. I still have to play at volcano and sea mountain and I heard that they closed Waimea cc.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played a lot, maybe most? Not sure. I did once hit 17 courses in 19 days on three islands! lol Oahu has the greatest number of misses simply because I spend far less time there than the other islands. Wailea closed several years back now. As for Makalei, that's just something I heard from some locals last fall. I checked the website a few months back and it still was rocking, it seemed. I drove down to Sea Mountain in October. It was being maintained to some level but it wasn't open. And when at Volcano don't forget to visit America's southernmost winery, even if the wine sucks; it makes for a fun photo op. Hualalai: it's public in that the public does have a means to get on there, no matter how convoluted. It's like Pebble ... though Pebble does allow non-stay play with day-before bookings.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I figured as much for Hualalai. And like Pebble I probably wouldn't pay the high amount to play there anyway. It is such a scam to say that it is a public course because it really isn't.

I drove to sea Mountain, I should have brought my clubs as I probably could have played since nobody was around. Not sure about the greens though.

I think Wailea is still open, I think they still have 3 courses open (emerald, gold and blue). My classmate is one of the GM's on the course and Margo Stubblefield (or some former local pro golfer) runs the emerald course. I think Makena closed down one of their courses though.

I still have a number of courses I haven't played in Hawaii but many of them are private courses so I can only play them if I play in a tourney (I have no handicap and not a good golfer) or some charity event. I want to play at Waialae and one day after I retire I will volunteer for the Sony open so I can get to play there.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Typo. Waimea. Sorry. Yes, Wailea's three are still going. Makena is gone. For the last six or eight years only the North course was open and now Discovery Land has bought the place so there will be a thorough re-do and then some very private gates are going up.

High-end or limited-access "public" golf is not a scam. You might not like the freight, a certain price might not represent value, but it is no more of a scam than Bellagio charging more for a room than MSS or a Mercedes costing more than a Corolla.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.