1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MyVegas Canceling and changing booking

Discussion in 'MyVegas' started by Dewey090, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Suppose I decide after redeeming a reward for Exalibur and booking a night in November that I want instead to book a night somewhere else. Can I cancel the first booking and book the second? I understand that I'd lose the LP's used for the reward, but if I'm willing to do that, can I double redeem and just use the one I want to use, canceling the other closer to the time of my trip.

2. Imperial

Imperial Tourist

I'm sure you can cancel the first booking. Did you call the hotel and book the room already ? If you did I think you'll need to call and cancel the booking. If not you should able to refund your loyalty coin when you log on MyVegas. Correct me if I'm wrong members.

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you cancel the room after booking, you lose the LPs and owe nothing to the hotel, but it also would be considered 1 of your redemption for the month and probably would fall under the 1 hotel stay reward per trip.

4. Imperial

Imperial Tourist

Yeah, I just found out if you call the hotel to book then your will lose LPs if you cancel. If you have't call to book the room, you'll able to refund your LPs

5. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not the least bit concerned with the LP loss. I have more LP's then I will use now with my once or twice a year trips. Just signing in I caught 7,000 today on the spin. That is half what I lose by canceling this planned Excalibur bonus day booking and they were earned in less than a minute.
    I am concerned with the flexibility of booking. Everything is so dry that I'm thinking it pays to book well ahead. So In November I'm looking at booking Excalibur during a cheap week (15-18) I can book the first night for 15,000 LP's and get on the calendar for a weekday. However, at a later time I might be able to get the weekend instead and book the 14th on MyVegas and pay for the 15th. Or perhaps pick up the Saturday in some other way in that neighborhood.
    However, if canceling the first booking means I can't book some other MyVegas deal should it show up, then I might like to put off locking it up a bit and gamble that the calendar won't go all blank as most seem to be.
    Thanks for thinking through this with me. If anyone has a number to call where I might get this question answered, I'd be happy to talk with someone. However, when I booked my September night at Excalibur, it took me an hour and a half to get the call answered. I don't want to do that for just a question. So far I'm getting mixed responses from various sources. Some say that I can cancel and book another deal. Others that the booking uses up my one night in a trip even if I cancel. I was hoping perhaps to run into someone who had actually done this for some reason.

6. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you cancel it beforehand, it doesn't count as one of your rewards. You can still redeem 3 other ones during your trip.

7. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I read your text correctly, I experienced the same issues....I originally purchased and redeemed a one night stay (4/27) at Luxor...subsequently, I purchased and redeemed a one night stay (also for 4/27) at NYNY...while making the reservation with the agent for the NYNY stay, I asked the agent to cancel my Luxor stay, with the understanding that the LP's would be forfeited...all done....Now, I also purchased an Aria buffet and a Mirage buffet....Hence, a max. 3 rewards within a 30 day period....

Fast forward to LV and I check in to NYNY, then on to Aria, while trying to redeem the Aria buffet at the Mlife desk at Aria, the Mlife person said I was at my maximum 3 awards...NYNY hotel, Luxor hotel and the Aria buffet...I would not be able to use the Mirage buffet....Whoa, I explained that the Luxor hotel award was cancelled, I never used the award....after some review of the record and consulting with co-workers, the Mlife agent made some notations to my account explaining the situation....

In the end, I was able to use the Mirage buffet...the cancelled Luxor hotel stay did not count as one of the three awards allowed....this was my experience, as always...YMMV...Good Luck.

8. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    vsop, I was wondering if your reservations were initially made before or after they changed the rules to reflect 1 night every 30 days? Or did asking the reservation agent to cancel the Luxor take care of that?

9. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for thinking through this with me.
    I actually decided to just book at Excalibur from Nov 13 through Nov 19.
    I bought a weekend bonus comp.
    Then I started calling to book the 13th using My Vegas which shows on the calendar.

That was three phone calls ago and about two hours. The first two just quit for some reason after an hour or so. I still have not connected with an operator.

So, I'm ready not to book and to just get my points back.
    But I won't do it with an Excalibur operator.
    I'll try calling one of the more upscale guys and see if they can give me back the points. Then I can just pay for 5 nights and get three non hotel rewards while I am registered.

Monte Carlo pool folks say that the pool access is open to anyone for $10. So I can lazy river every day.
    Then if I talk to the Excalibur concierge, they might arrange for me to use it every morning for an hour or so for free.
    But I could be staying at the Orleans and come in for the Monte Carlo lazy river every morning for $10 a pop.

If anyone has any method for returning the unused but purchased weekend comp and getting back the LP let me know. I just won't bother with this again. I'll go to Stations where within a few minutes I can talk to helpful people. I should have known because my September booking was the same only I did get a person in that call after an hour and a half. Here I think they are just clearing their calls. Twice the line just went dead.

I better like the offstrip and downtown coupon/comp/etc games. But I'll let the phone run and it I connect give the Excalibur one weekend.
    And VSOP that is exactly what I was thinking of doing, catching a Monte Carlo night and hoping to switch, but booking in order to be assured of having one night. The following week is cheap at Excalibur, so I should have just been content with 5 weekdays at $20 plus tax plus resort fee and that would even free me to grab $50 freeplay, but I wanted to cover one weekend cheaply and not have to jump around so much. Well, it still could happen as the phone is still humming music and a recorded woman is telling me how thankful they are for my patience and that someone will answer as soon as possible, but three strikes and they are out.

They shorten this trip and are losing me for future trips. I don't suppose that matters because I expect by next year all the hotel rooms will be dried up and rewards will just be in addition to booked rooms. Still as a marketing tool, baiting us with freebies and then hanging us up at the switchboard can't be a good idea for promoting business.
    Palace Station keeps looking better and better. I wish they had a lazy river.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  10. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dewey, I've been looking at Palace Station as an alternative to Mlife through myVegas as well. Southwest's Rapid Rewards program offers midweek nights at Palace Station for 3625 points, which is quite low. That includes taxes, but it doesn't say whether there are additional resort fees. If you're a Rapid Reward member it's possibly worth a look.

11. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, after 4 and a half hours on the three phones I finally got a clerk.
    She took my dates and my numbers and my name.
    She went away and let me listen to more music.
    She was gone a long while.

And then she disconnected!!!

So, I decided to call the upscale bookers and just see if they could at least refund my points.
    I hit 1 instead of 4 and in less than two minutes a lovely woman answered.

I explained my four and a half hour wait.
    She said she thought she could book me.
    And she did.
    And she confirmed the September booking as well.

Then I went here.
    https://reservations.mgmmirage.com/bookingengine.aspx?pid=exc&host=promo&code=Xtrip&kbid=5178597&CFID=134802849&CFTOKEN=18221102

This was the best prices I could find for the other 6 days. Saturday was especially cheaper, $70 rather than $89.
    I did not get a $20 food voucher tossed in, but it still was a better deal. I'd rather eat at Aria anyway.
    I booked on line. If we book by phone they charge us a fee of $10.

I got all that done and hit the final button and
    UP came a message that there was an error in my booking, and I should call the reservations desk.

Just what I needed after a long day. Another phone snafu.
    So, I did.

As it turned out there was no error, and I was actually booked.
    The woman at the counter was delightful. She listened to my story, and she made sure that the MyVegas Friday night was back to back with the Booked 6 nights so I would not have to change rooms.

She was just great.

I was worried that were I to need to cancel the MyVegas for sickness I would have to call and wait 4 and a half hours to cancel and still not get points back, but save getting billed as a no show.

No. If I have trouble and have to cancel, I'll just call the Excalibur reservations desk. They already had my booking from MyVegas, and they can cancel it if something happens in my life thwart my going .

Thanks to all of you for thinking through all the angles with me. I hope my experience gives you some insight into your next MyVegas redemption.

So............... this old frugal guy is going upscale for a week. I know for most of you the Excalibur is not upscale at all. For most MLife folks it is hardly acceptable. But I will enjoy it as variety in my trip, and I've covered one of those expensive weekends with a decent rate. I just have or two more weekends to consider depending on whether I fly in before or after Halloween. One I'll probably cover at Palace Station and perhaps the other at the Four Queens. Poker buddy Wild Bill usually goes for Halloween. He loves to use his camera on the costumes or lack there of.

I also expect the Orleans to give me a couple mailed free weekday nights. I can place those just before the Excalibur week, catch the Young at heart promotion on Wednesday with its two free buffets, and the Nite Kings in the lounge, and I will have an easy bus ride between the Orleans and the Excalibur.
    Palace Station would be a good bet on MyVegas for the 13-14 weekend and 3 weekdays. I'll have to see how available their dates are once their MyVegas calendar comes out. I think we have to expect that they will be getting more pressure from the frugal end travelers who have all these MyVegas points to use up.

Also, there is no pressure for me to gamble at Excalibur, and that week is right at the end of my trip. Depending on how much bankroll is left, I'll play a bit of poker at Excalibur, at Mandalay Bay, at Monte Carlo. My last trip was one in which my rooms averaged over 23 days just $9.13 total, but it was a losing trip so the gambling took most of that profit. This won't be such a cheap trip.

If I must, I'll pay Monte Carlo to let me use the lazy river first thing in the morning with no tube. That is the absolute best workout for me.

I don't think I'll book an MLife room using MyVegas again. I'll buy three nights and then buy a $50 freeplay with the saved reward, and get the same value.
    I did get plenty done while the phone ran the music on hold, but it was frustrating, especially when I got cut off.
    Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  12. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a hassle. I don't blame you for skipping the process in the future. I like the Young at Heart promo too. I'm hoping to win that $500 drawing someday!

I did some reading about Palace Station on Trip Advisor and it was scary.

13. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My purchase was made after the rule change (only one hotel award allowed)....I was aware that I was only allowed one hotel award...I purchased the NYNY award because it became available after making the earlier Luxor purchase.... While making the reservation for NYNY , I asked the NYNY reservation agent to also cancel the Luxor reservation/redemption, realizing I would be forfeiting the LPs, so I wouldn't have to call the Luxor, be put on hold, etc ....the Dewey experience...

14. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is often hard to evaluate Trip Advisor comments.
    I do think from what I've read that there is a huge difference between the cheap courtyard rooms and the nice rooms offered by MyVegas. I hope I will have some first hand information after I go in September.
    I did visit last trip. I liked being able to play dimes on full pay 10/7 VP and know that the volatility would not kill my bankroll in a losing streak. I thought the live poker room was very comfortable for me. They had small stakes games and a friendly local crowd. I like the food at the buffet and the prices. I also liked the Sahara bus. I had a good ride on it because I got twisted up looking for the Italian American Club for a show and so I rode it in both directions. It seemed fine at night. I'd be comfortable coming and going. I don't much like where Sahara crosses the strip, but I think I'd use the shuttle to the Fashion Show mall if I wanted some strip action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.