1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Just amazed at the hype over this fight.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Joe, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is almost Super Bowl proportions promotion, and I could care less. I used to want to see a good heavyweight match back in the day. Ali, Fraser, Tyson etc but I wouldn't pay to see one. So all this hype is just amazing to me. I had to look up what weight class these guys were even in.

Enjoy the fight!:peace:

Hey, anybody old enough to remember Friday night fights sponsored by Gillette on regular TV? I can still hear the music in my head. Dad and I watched it every Friday night.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Puts the r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s into overhyped. The WSJ had some good deconstruction of the entire spectacle in today's edition.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is one of the rare events I'll be watching - couldn't turn down the offers. The fight itself does not interest me but it will be fun to watch reactions of the crowd.

Bill

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mayweather is undefeated but Manny has lost 5 times. The hype is a joke but boxing has been dying for awhile now so I guess there is some desperation to make it relevant.

5. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a discussion that PT and I had, in another thread.

Most (North Americans) would say that it is an "over-hyped".

PT brought up the point, from a world wide perspective.
    From the Asian populations.... to the impoverished around the world.
    This fight is not "over-hyped," when you take everything and everyone into consideration. I agree, when you look at it, from that perspective.

I'm still not sold on where the fight should be ranked, in terms of historical significance.
    I think that it is "over-hyped" in this area. Regardless, of what the outcome and how entertaining it may be.
    If the fight happened 5 years ago. Maybe, I change my opinion.
    PT couldn't sway me on this thought.....LOL

I'm just hoping for a draw!!!!!

6. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the fight I want to see.
    [​IMG]

7. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. We agree again PT.....LOL

8. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too have no interest in this fight. I was a boxing fan back in to days of Ali-Frazier. Today's fight game does not interest me in any way.
    Fight of the century? The first Ali-Frazier fight was the fight of the century for me. This fight means nothing to me .I know little about the fighters. they do not interest me.
    Like you said, enjoy the fight. Before you know it, there will be another "fight of the century".

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, Joe, Joe... it's understandable that Wisconsin sports fans are in a sour mood of late, what with the TOTAL egg the Bucks laid last night or the Brewers worst record in baseball and the Badgers coming up a bit short, but DANG... don't pick on the biggest spectacle and sporting event to come along this year!!! I love boxing and it's true this fight needed to happen 5 years ago. I'm a Mayweather fan... I LOVE the brash, cocky back-it-up guy he's become, but I fear the fight could end-up being a dog. I hope I'm wrong. I'm told the town is electric today. Manny, Floyd and a handful of others are the only boxers I recognize anymore... it's true the sport is NOT close to what it once was, but I can't blame folks for trying to pump one least gasp of a breath into it.

I'm paying the $100 pay per view fee, but then Im a sucker!!!!

10. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I guess I came of age in the Tyson era so when I think of boxing I still think of big heavyweights. Like Tyson-Holyfield. Sure Mayweather and Pacquaio are incredibly skilled but I'm bigger than those guys and I'm not a big guy.

I don't follow boxing but whatever happened to heavyweights? Are there just no good ones anymore?

I also just want to see people knocked out. Its a barbaric sport so give me some barbarism. All the Mayweather fights I've seen for a long time have had none of that. Its just been two guys dancing in the ring, taking jabs, and racking up points.

11. TheCanoe

TheCanoe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure where to post this but can anyone sell viewed go party tickets? Willing to pay $300 each need 2

12. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to watch the Friday night fights way back. I watched the Emille Griffith, Benny Kid Paret fight. Lots of great fights back then.

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Things are hyped as much as the public will respond. There is no such thing as over hype. Well, except the NFL draft.

14. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

15. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

nfl/ufc/etc

16. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

Manny and Floyd both have a laundry list of wins against world class fighters. This fight should have happened a long time ago, but you're blind if you don't see the magnitude of this fight. I love boxing, but it's on its way out. Boxing will never be what it was, and there may never be another fight this big. Each fighter is going to clear 100 million, are you kidding me?

17. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

Lol! I thought maybe that was joke, but guess not. I just watched a 3 round war on youtube putting mini Pacquiao up against mini Margarito. I've never seen something so sad, wrong and pure awesome all at the same time. These guys can take beating. Mini Pacquiao's cartwheel kick is pure danger!

[video=youtube;dqQBFKTP8wA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqQBFKTP8wA[/video]

19. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

20. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.