1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Walking...SLS to Stratosphere..or not?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Charming Mess, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charming Mess

Charming Mess Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,
    Staying at the Holiday Inn Resorts on Koval, and thinking of taking the Monorail to SLS and then walking over to The STRAT to hit their early Happy Hour...how is the walk?...Or should I just take the bus from Harrahs?

Opinions?...I live in Queens NY so I'm used to crappy neighborhoods... any opinions on what would be quicker/easier?

2. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its a five minute walk, won't be an issue.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it twice. Just walk fast and look tough and you should be fine.

4. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha... its not a bad area by any means. Some tacky souvenir shops, a wedding chapel/gun range. A Walgreens of course. Some guys asking for handouts. Normal stuff.

5. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    During the day...fine. At night ?????????????????????????????????

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At night... walk briskly and with purpose, you'll be fine... the real crap around there goes on down the side streets

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the daylight I've done it several times. It's a very easy walk assuming you like to walk. :)

I did it once at night on a photo shoot and I admit it creeped me out a bit!

8. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like others say, daytime you should be fine.

Night time, don't do it alone and impaired. Cabs are cheap compared to what could happen.

9. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Charming Mess, where in Queens do you live? I'm in Sunnyside, grew up in Woodside/Maspeth.

10. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The day time is fine for sure. No big deal there. At night, it's really not that big of a deal either. I walked it last month and on the way there I talked on the phone with a friend and walked at a brisk pace. On the way back I kinda waited outside the Stratosphere for a couple minutes until another group of people started walking out of the stratosphere and to the strip. Then I just followed behind them.

11. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walking to the Strat from SLS should be no problem for the Happy Hour. Make sure to go up in the free elevator to the Level 107. $20 for a cab back to the Resort is cheap after enjoying the lounge.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Instead of taking the monorail I would recommend just walking out to Las Vegas Blvd and catching the bus and then getting off at the Strat. That way you don't have to worry about walking that area. But as others have mentioned, it isn't a very far walk from the SLS and should be relatively safe during the day.

13. Charming Mess

Charming Mess Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in Kew Gardens. You haven't lived till you walk home from the Jamaica LIRR station....lol Jamaica Ave for the loss!! Lived in Woodside a lifetime ago 69th St and 38th Ave. How's Donavan's doing?

Thanks looks like taking the bus is easier...probably head DT after the Strat.

And I just realized a bus outside the resort goes pretty close to Frankie's Tiki Room. Public transit to start the day, and a taxi to end it.
    Thanks all

14. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was walking once from sahara towards wynn. they had $1 hot dogs then so I had a couple in my pocket for the haul.

Some guy asked me for money to buy some food so i produced a wrapped hot dog with mustard packets and napkins from my jacket pocket. should have seen the look on his face.

15. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't been to Donovan's in a couple of years but it was still great. I go to PJ's in Sunnyside.

16. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's exactly how my trips to Frankie's work out!

17. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took a donut from a downtown buffet and gave it to a man with a sign that said "Hungry". He said thank you and gobbled it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.