1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA - Just checked in exactly 24 hours ahead

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by LadyShaye, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for me and my travel partner - I got B34 and she got B37 - so we won't even get to "line up" together?

2. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, that is the kind of numbers we got at the 24 hour mark last time. EB is becoming a necessity.

3. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is "legal" to save seats for traveling companions.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think when you log in at the same time for two seats and are separated by 3 digits, this reflects the large number of people doing the same thing at the same time. We have had this happen as well whether same reservation or logging on from the phone. I am surprised although not doubting the high numbers listed by traveling members of the board. We haven't gotten worse than B7-10 or so thus far. It could greatly depend on the routes I suppose. Either way, one of you was going to be sitting in a middle seat if sitting together so there will be many middle and aisle and middle and window available. Good luck....

5. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest does not have a policy for or against this. Its in bad taste and I have seen people saving seats that someone else wants and the person wanting that seat sits there, arguments ensure and Southwest basically says its a free for all.

Also, the OP can board at the later number with their traveling partner, but its frowned upon for the person with the later number to try to cut the line to board with the lower number.

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting, I've never had non consecutive numbers with EB. I've also never had a "B". Those that purchase anytime flights get priority. After that it's the date/timestamp of when you purchased your EB. You aren't actually checking in 24 hours before. EB passengers are automatically checked in 36 hours before the flight. You can print your boarding pass 24 hours before but whether you do it 24 hours before, 20 hours before, etc... doesn't matter in terms of your number. You can even wait and print your boarding pass at a kiosk at the airport, it doesn't matter. Or of course just use your phone. I usually book my flights, to Vegas and elsewhere, far in advance, that's why I've always been an "A".

ETA, I think I misunderstood the OP, she did NOT purchase EB. In that case yes you ARE checking in and it's important to do so 24 hours before, or as close to that as you can. If you purchase EB there is no need to do so.

I can't stand when a couple only buys one EB and that person saves a seat for the other. Cheap bastards piss me off.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  7. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless I am misunderstanding, you are just a few places away from each other. You can get on first and keep yourself busy getting settled, which may keep the seat you want your travel partner in free until they get there.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, 3 spots apart is nothing to worry about.

9. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or, you could move back 2 spots.

Or, you (or one of you two) could pay the $40 upgrade fee and get into A1-15.

I'm not opposed to someone holding a middle seat, however, holding an Aisle or window seat is another thing.

I ALWAYS get EB on SWA.

10. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking this.. just have 35 and 36 move in front of you... or have them pass you on the jetway.

That go further back.. it is not a big deal.

11. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually ran into a woman who was sitting in a middle seat (she got 'disability' boarding..but she seemed fine to me), and when I boarded (B 3), I asked her about the window seat & she said to me, "both of these seats are saved"...
    Really ticked me off... there were still plenty of rows in the back with windows available, but she had a seat near the front & I knew the flight was completely sold out...her row had the only window available in the first 15 rows or so.

Oh, and yeah - I always EB as well.
    The pre-board game has gotten out of hand... and when they do so & then "save" seats for others in the C group, that's just wrong.

Annual Spring Trip!
  12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have sat right down and if she didn't like it she could complain to the FA.

SWA flights having amazing healing powers. So many times I see people pre board and need help walking, need help getting their bags into the overhead bins and (amazing!) as soon as the plane lands they can get those bags and sprint off the plane, no problem at all.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering, so would you recommend that SWA switch to reserved seating when you make your reservation? EB seems just another way of getting money from passengers. As for me, guess I'm not in that much of a rush and I don't mind moving to the back of the plane to get a window or aisle seat. For the major carriers when I check on flights the available seating decides if I take this flight, I won't take a flight where only middle seats are available (unless I really have to get somewhere). I'm not too keen on this SW EB and 24 hour seating but it's not much of a problem because I mostly fly short haul with them.

Of course if I get to sit next to a beautiful (and/or nice looking) busty girl I will take the middle seat in a heartbeat, lol.:evillaugh yeah, I'm a pig, now in my 50's guess I'm now part of the dirty old man club.

14. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I checked in 24 hours (almost to the second) for my flight tomorrow and got B1. Saving those A's for the paying customers it seems.

15. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind the open seating and I agree EB is another way to add revenue without it reflecting in the fares. As long as they don't charge bag fees I'm good. Some with reserved seating charge extra to reserve when you book your flight. My "perfect" airline charges no bag fees (checked or carry-on) and has reserved seats with no cost to reserve ahead of time.

I've never quite understood when SWA says their way of boarding is faster. With reserved you board from the back. With SWA it's the front seats that get taken first so you have to wait to get past the people in front of you in line.

16. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will admit to being cheap so I didn't want to pay for EB - but we are on a direct flight to Vegas, I figured if we couldn't sit next to each other it wouldn't be the end of the world (at least for me...my mom might think so!) We also land about an hour before the other 2 people from 2 other states fly in so we won't be in any kind of hurry to get our bags (only possible reason to rush is if we NEED the ladies room then I'll be running off the plane!)

17. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I check baggage, I would not buy EB since it wouldn't get me anything except the frustration of paying an extra $12.50 to get A30 or A40+.

I only EB because sometimes I travel to LV with $4000 plus in Silver Strikes in my carryon and I'm sure not checking that!!! EB kind of ensures that you get a place in the overhead bin. I've been on flights that were so full that carryon was full and they had to check baggage.

I would not recommend that SWA change anything. It keeps the whiny babies from buying tickets and provides me great amusement to see newbies getting in line when "A"s are lining up and they are in the "C" section.

I realize that was horribly rude, but IMHO, you have to sacrifice something for low(er) airfares. I don't begrudge the A1-A15 people. Anyone paying $300 for a seat on a plane that I paid $80 for deserves something extra.

No reserved seating is what made SWA as successful as it is. Leave it be!!!!!

18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What made Southwest successful was great customer service, cheap fares, point to point service, a simple frequent flyer program of flight segments, no first class, and a sense of fairness when boarding.

Now we have some more equal than others through EB and catering to the business flyer through priority boarding, the crippled healed at 30,000 feet, haggard flight attendants, full flights, a change in the frequent flyer program tied to ticket prices, fares are no longer a bargain.

But we do get free bags.

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You read threads here for not too long and you gotta to wonder why it is anyone even travels? Southwest sucks. Resort fees suck. Cabbies suck. Cab-hailers suck. MLife or TR sucks. Buskers suck. Downtown or the Strip sucks. The odds suck. Ultra lounges suck. Snobs suck. Slobs suck. PBR sucks no fancy-pants beer sucks.

:confused2:

Hey, VegasBJ, when is it you want to go to Vegas? I'm ready! Books the rooms. Get the tee times. Dinner at Craftsteak. Travel does not suck.

20. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We fly SW, and we pay for the EB. Booked our flight for October a few weeks ago, so should get a good boarding spot. The only thing I would change, they should allow you to reserve a seat when you pay for the EB.

That way if that one person that paid for EB and is saving the other 2 seats for people in C position, then she can't save it if I have a ticket saying it is my seat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.