1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

More Golf Questions

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by guapoxxx, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Morning All,

I have tee times scheduled for next week and can't wait!

On Thursday 23 April, we'll be at Reflection Bay; on Friday 24 April, we'll be at Angel Park (Mountain); and on Saturday 25 April, we'll be at Revere (Concord).

Questions:

1. Has anyone played these courses recently (within the past 1-3 weeks)?
    2. How are they playing (conditions of the fairways/greens, etc.)?
    3. How are the club rentals and food/drink services at Reflection Bay and Revere (cart girls and clubhouse)?

Reason I'm asking the above questions is because if the conditions aren't good, then I'll book Coyote Springs, Rio Secco or both.

Lastly, I'm not playing LVPGC Wolf Course because they are aerating next week :grrr:

Thanks,
    Charlie

Annual Golf Trip
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the problem with golf; courses are living breathing entities and they go through phases, but you often can't rely on the pro shop to give you the factual skinny on conditions and then how do you find people who've tagged the base recently? (I know, that's why you asked here.)

As for sticks, all the top-tier clubs have name-brand gear, current or the previous model year (or month if TaylorMade), though the exact affiliation will change as the pro or the management company changes affiliations. Rates range upward from $40 typically. I don't keep a running list though many list the gear on their websites.

RB had literally just reopened when I played it late last fall and there was no midweek service at the time. Revere has one of my favorite 19th (37th actually) holes in all of Vegas.

Why not the other courses at Paiute and a big yes on Coyote. (Concord is the weak link in this larger lineup.) Has Rio Secco ever really had over-the-top great conditioning?

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just an add-on to what Ken mentioned above. last week we teed it up, paid our fees, and the Pro shop didn't even bother to mention that the greens had been sanded. We get to the first green and it was like putting on the beach the sand was so thick. Would have been nice to have known that before we teed off. Most courses you can call the starter / Pro shop ahead of time and point blank ask if the greens have been aereated recently

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had folks flat out lie. Not just forgetting to volunteer info about a punch job they just did but out and out saying things are "looking good" when I asked point blank and then it was far from that.

BTW, I've never had other than great conditions my many plays at Coyote.

5. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always ask when they punch greens.
    I even plan vacations if I'm going to nicer (read expensive) tracks around aeration schedules. Nothing would be worse than getting to Pelican's practice putting green and seeing it just punched.
    Even if it's a round at Rustic I will ask.
    R-Bay was in good shape mid Feb but no weekday cart service and the pro shop and snack bar at the turn were both scaled down considerably.

6. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys! I've called places too and was told that the greens and fairways were fine until I hit the first green and it's a sandpit! I don't trust them and I rely heavily on the feedback from this board... I'm thinking I may substitute R-Bay and Revere with Coyote Springs and Paiute Snow...

Annual Golf Trip
  7. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a website called Greenskeeper.org that was created exactly for this purpose, to provide maintenance alerts about courses throughout the Southwestern U.S. (and growing). I started visiting that site sometime in 2003 and it's been an invaluable resource ever since. I don't remember the last time I encountered conditions that didn't meet my expectations, because I was informed by maintenance alerts and fellow user reviews. In the last few years, I've gotten a lot more involved in GK's events and gotten to know the founder of the site, who is a great guy and incredibly passionate about ensuring that golfers are well informed about conditions. You guys should check it out.

8. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    M ILIS, thanks for that site. I can't have too many golf sources. Although Ken is just about a walking Google site.

9. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes! Many thanks M_ILIS... will check it out...

Annual Golf Trip
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, I'd totally forgotten about that site. Thanks, M!

I just did some checking on courses I know and have played recently. Those with current comments seem to jive with what I've seen, except for Rancho San Marcos where I don't think they adequately captured how dry it is. Sure, it's not dead like two years ago but it is a lot closer to life support than walking out on its own two feet. We're playing it tomorrow -- trying to burn my frequent-player freebies before the end of the "rain" season. I'm guessing that last bit of a deluge up here bought the place some needed life.

11. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rio Sucko

We played it a few years ago.
    Over priced. Not memorable.
    How much of a premium do you want to pay to play a place that Tiger practiced once or twice?
    We felt like idiots for playing there.

12. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We booked Reflection Bay today for April 27th, DH asked about the greens and was told they were aerated April 6th. We are only playing one game this trip and will be renting clubs (it's $50 and they have TaylorMades). We have golfed both Coyote Springs and Revere; Coyote Springs is one of my favorites.

Enjoy your golf!!

13. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Slotchick! Spoke to my crew and this week we're golfing at Coyote Springs, Angel Park (Mountain) and Revere (Concord). Have fun at Reflection Bay!

Annual Golf Trip
  14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RS never was a good as Harrah's convinced some it was, but it's also not LVGC. Three things kept it from the top shelf: The usual pricing structure, conditioning swings, several get-from-here-to-there fill-in holes.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.