1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

what do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by normcarver, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normcarver

normcarver Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm always on here reading trip reports and I love reading everyone from the low rollers to the whales. But I'm always curious what everyone does weather they only can low roll like myself or are able to be high rollers.

Myself- I'm a train conducter out here in Boston. In provides me with a nice house, and on average a trip or two to vegas a year with a decent gambling budget nothing crazy. Looking forward to seeing your responses :)

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am an Escalation Technical Support Engineer for a Tech company out here in the Silicon Valley.

Not my favorite occupation, but pays the most of the things that I can do, and the hours are flexible.

3. jf3976

jf3976 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll bite : )

I'm a manager at a manufacturing facility (yeah, kind of vague, what can I say, haha). I went to college as an engineer. My husband stays home with the kids, decision we made a few years ago because my hours can be a bit unpredictable at times - can do 50 hours or so for weeks at a time, then suddenly work 96 hours. We invest some of my bonuses more wisely than others :evillaugh:

I'm not sure where I fall in the "roller scheme" as it's probably a bit subjective - but I'm a slot player, so comps are pretty good. And, yes, I know the odds are terrible, but I gamble for entertainment and enjoy that I can sit drunk and just press a button (without thinking and/or really only making very basic decisions) and not affect the house advantage - it just sucks all the time:wink2:

4. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm an entrepreneur with a couple different businesses but also have recently started investing with a buddy of mine in real estate (housing).

5. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Automotive collision here, use to second job as a bartender...practicing flair bar tending for another run at it...as for roller, made 2nd tier 7star...

6. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RN for 27 years have done everything from ICU to ER at a big trauma hospital, Cardiac Cath Lab, -- now I have succumbed to the Peter Principle - I am a supervisor at a small hospital and I watch all the young nursers work their butts off.

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I describe myself as "self employed" but I've been under contract with this one dot com company for the past 12 years. My job title with them would be "Vice president in charge of customer deployments"

I also do consulting work where that'd be best described as "I think about companies, business plans, strategies, etc"

I could be a "bigger roller" than I am, but I am hoping to retire in a year or two so much of my spare money goes in to my stock options.

8. ant1433

ant1433 Low-Roller

Work at Verizon in NJ. Been in telecom for 30 years. Live in central NJ on the shore about an hour north of Atlantic City...a little to close at times..lol

9. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ice Cream Man

10. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Process design/improvement manager for a large .com. Been there just over 12 years. Before that, I was in forestry and geography...

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Self Employed

[video=youtube_share;CsrLHP26zvk]http://youtu.be/CsrLHP26zvk[/video]

12. msujen12

msujen12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In house counsel for a REIT (lawyer). As far as roller status in Diamond at CET, but do my best to keep the gambling budget modest.

13. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah :)

No, the VP of Customer Deployments is the job title they use for me... but a couple of years ago I was "Guy in charge of the Sri Lankans" and they actually had business cards printed up for me that said that :)

For the consulting work to actual customers or potential customers I say "Business Consultant" or "Business Operations Consultant" and then give an explanation of what service I provide.

14. cjlangston

cjlangston Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wine Retailer in Napa Valley California

15. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, I had had some strange job titles myself working in the dot com industry since before the first bubble. How times have changes in digital over the last 15 years.

16. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work as an Architectural Technician for an Architect's firm here in Manchester. We work on small-medium size commercial projects (anything up to £10m) and I will occasionally do some small house extensions on the side for some extra cash if I have the time.

Since Christmas I have started a new 'hobby' which involves something called matched betting, its proving to be very profitable and is helping me fund this years trip(s).

17. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Territory manager for a somewhat large manufacturer. Lots of travel over the years. Close to or over 100 nights in hotels per year for the past 10+ years. Everyone thinks its a glamorous life with hotels and restaurants but I can tell you reading the newspaper alone in a restaurant gets old pretty fast. Plus I'll never get used to this 3am wake up call for a 6am flight like today. Still, I like the job (pros and cons like any other) and I have seen a lot of places which I probably never would have seen had I not gotten out of my small town.

18. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mostly work in the IT Department for various school districts (they have all different names for my position; I've been everything from Computer Lab Supervisor to Systems Admin)

19. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I get paid for: Engineer/Physicist/Lecturer in infrared thermal imaging. Sounds impressive! I teach folks from Ph.D's to kids out of High School how to use infrared cameras. Image, measure, still, high speed, gas detection, etc. More applications than I can talk about. Plan on retiring in about 8 years. Travel 35 week a year.

What I don't get paid for but have a hoot doing: member of the World Champion American Chunker Pumpkin Chunkin Team (www.americanchunker.com) Shot a pumpkin 4694 feet (1430 meters for my metric friends) in 2013. Defending our ttitle in Dover, DE Nov 6-8 where I will be tracking pumpkins with my IR cameras. The air cannons shoot them near Mach 1.0

Probably would be considered a mid-roller in Vegas.

20. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a Business Analyst at a large wholesale nursery.

I would probably be considered a mid-roller as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.