1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

RTC apps What is the best?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Dewey090, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I finally have my first smart phone. I know there are apps that will track the buses. Anyone use one and what is it called?

2. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dewey,

Aren't you the bus master? You've posted so much info on Vegas transit over the years you are a walking app!

I haven't found one that gives real time bus info for Vegas buses. However, there is a number you call at most transit stops that texts you back what time the next bus will be there. I've done that several times when at unfamiliar stops and found it to be pretty accurate. I also have a PDF reader downloaded to my android phone (there are several of them that are free). With that I can view the RTC transit schedules I've downloaded from their site.

3. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gone to the RTC mobile website on my iPhone and it was good. It would detect the closest bus and time.

4. teacher1

teacher1 Low-Roller

Hey Dewey-- I don't have an app (or a smart phone), but if you text 414-11 the following message-- "rideRTC" plus the bus stop number, which is printed on the bus stop cover or sign, they will text you back the next three times the bus is supposed to pick up there. For example, the bus stop on Flamingo across from Sam's Town is "rideRTC 922". Used this service repeatedly, but it is scheduled times, not real time.

That's the best I've got, but, if you find an app you like, please let us know.

5. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have ridden many a bus, but this is my first smart phone. I've carried printed schedules, even that heavy printed book back in the days when schedules did not change every hour and a half. However, I have never had a smart phone before. I did not even have texting ability on my old phone. It will be grand to have the schedules and maps right there to check. But I've met folks at bus stops who could tell me just when the bus was really coming, using their cell phone.
    I'm thinking that these RTC sites will work just fine, and it seems like I don't have to actually add an app. Thanks all for the site information. I am thinking that the RTC site will do what I want.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dewey, I use an app called ETA Transit Directions, but my smartphone is a BlackBerry. I don't think this is available on the iPhone or Android. I used it successfully on a recent trip to Chicago and I gave my three day pass a workout. I think you are familiar with the routes, so knowing the time until your bus arrives is very easy just by texting your stop ID number to the RTA number. I also use Google maps to see my public transit options, many of the public agencies default to Google maps anyway.

8. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Hammie and all. I played with the phone a bit this morning and I think the RTC site will work fine for what I need. I have a Galaxy 5. I'm heading to Chicago in a week or so, but there I'll have my car and sons to drive me. I never really get to interior Chicago anyway, just stay with the kids and grandkids.
    I think I'm going to love the phone in Vegas. I have Wizard of Odds, VPFree, and the bus in my favorites as well as this board. I usually never get wifi there, or very rarely and only if it is free with resort fees.

9. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can also put some free games on your smart phone to practice. I've got a Galaxy S3, and have Pai Gow and Blackjack games that are free and allow me to practice. The Pai Gow game shows "house way" for a hand if you wish, and the blackjack game includes basic strategy cards (each on a single screen) for different situations (dealer hits on S17 or holds, number of decks in the shoe, double after split allowed, etc.). Just look at the Google Play store and you'll find quite a few choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.