1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Photography on/in the Strip - Experiences? Best Spots?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by SikDmax, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SikDmax

SikDmax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey everyone - I found myself "accidentally" buying a boat on eBay a few days ago and what do ya know, its in Vegas LOL.

Im coming out early Saturday to pick it up and then enjoy one quick night in Vegas and head home Sunday. Staying at either Vdara or Cosmo.

Bringing 2 buddies and we are all into photography - doing a doors off private chopper flight that evening to do some aerial photography, but are looking to do some stuff on the ground too, mostly at night. Long exposure shots of the strip and surround hotels/sights... stuff like this:

11080779_10153205337709451_6998836483315115800_o.jpg

Anyway.... obviously we arent using iPhones or the like to take pictures haha, but DSLR cameras and tripods. Are we gonna get hassled by any type of private security taking outdoor pics, being setup for a few minutes in locations? I know lots of places say no "professional photography" which usually equates to cameras with big lenses (which we fit) but professional means as a job or for pay, which we just want to do this to take some cool pictures for a night.

Also, who can recommend some great spots to take pics? Getting up to Foundation Room or MIX for example on the South end of the strip would be awesome, may be a bit tough with our cameras though. What about North strip? Im probably going to get a terrace room at the Cosmo so we can get the fountain from balcony.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

2. Kjell28

Kjell28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's not windy, the top floor of Bellagio parking garage ...also I haven't checked it out in a few trips, top floor parking garage between Mirage and TI, not the greatest view of strip but some good shots. I also go out early mornings before sunrise and shoot from open spots on pedestrian bridges. Did the Cosmo thing last year, and was worth every penny!

3. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Fun until cops show up, then we play Hide n' Seek!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure on the getting hassled, but a couple of places come to mind.
    1. The iconic YESCO sign 'Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas'
    2. The Riveria, considering it's closing no one should mind

Good luck and post the photos here too or visit back with the link!

4. opusxo

opusxo Newbie

To avoid crowds I have found it best to come out just before first light, I have some great shot of the walkway in front of the Bellagio fountains without a soul around it, and not a car passing by. Of course this means you have to get up literally before dawn but that is certainly a good way to get more intimate photos of areas that are normally just jammed with humanity.

Also, a high floor fountain facing terrace room at the Cosmo offers great opportunities to get the fountains, long exposure shots from up above the strip looking out onto the Flamingo and beyond.

5. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too am a photographer and in 2005 I did a photography trip to Vegas and the only place that had issue with my tripod then was The STRAT , cannot take it up to the tower. My bigger concern would be someone not paying attention and bumping it and knocking over your camera. I too am wondering about good places for this up coming trip.

6. xman30

xman30 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just started going through your albums, nice work.

8. Habs

Habs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think one of the best locations for a night shot is on the Jockey Club , parking lot roof top. North shot, fountains, and all the neon you want. Enjoy your trip.

9. sanonofresurfer

sanonofresurfer Dude

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excalibur.jpg
    Be careful taking photos on bridges with a tripod. I took this one from the MGM/NYNY bridge. I believe it was a 20 or 30 second exposure. Security was on me before the exposure was over. He told me it was illegal to take photos from bridges with a tripod in Vegas. He said it was a security threat. The more research I did....I think the building architecture is copyrighted and they think that anyone using a tripod will be trying to take the photo to sell. That's my theory, anyway. I do know however, that security was on me quick. I kept talking to him nicely, and once I heard my shutter close, I nicely packed up and moved on.

10. xman30

xman30 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank You.

xman30

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Vegas sign is a must.

12. SikDmax

SikDmax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some cool ideas, thanks! Im hooked on the chopper rides, Ill probably be doing it once a month now LOL :D

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.