1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your go-to dish when having friends or family over for dinner?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ardee, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We generally like to prep sides ahead of time and do some grilling when the guests arrive.

Gives everybody a chance to chat while getting dinner ready.

Otherwise, it's a casserole of some type (maybe a spinach lasagna or a cauliflower-bake with cheese, ham and poblano chilis)
    with a nice salad and home-made vinaigrette.

Wines, beers, cocktails as per everyone's preference.

What's your favorite meal to serve?

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I make a batch of slow roasted Polish style pork chops. Lightly breaded, a quick saute then put in a casserole to back for a few years on low heat.
    serve with garlic mashed taters and a vegetable, sometime with Kapusta(cabbage) soup.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love to cook and my family & friends know there's a better than 75% chance they're going to be guinea pigs when they come over and I will be trying something completely new :thumbsup:

I stole my in-laws' electric smoker a couple years ago (then replaced it when the heating element blew) so I might smoke a hunk of meat. I love smoking salmon! My husband and FIL have gone hunting the past couple years so I have done venison & pork they have shot -so lean, but wrapped in bacon never hurts ;-)

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Standing rib roast (prime rib). High temp (500) for 20 minutes or so depending on the size of the roast, then 250 for the rest of the cooking time. 20 minutes per pound. Some twice baked potatoes and maybe some asparagus or a homemade Caesar salad. We have never gone wrong with this, but damn, the price of beef is ridiculous for the last 3 or 4 years.

A good boneless pork loin roast has become a go to dish.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're in the same camp as H2. While some friends/family over the years might've had more than one batch of our island pork ribs or chile-rubbed pork loins with ancho-bourbon sauce, cilantro oil and red-bell coulis (hello, Mesa Grill, and TVVM), we move all over the globe and folks coming over here know they are apt to be served something we've never tried before. Recent menus have ranged from last night's St. Pat's to Indian two nights ago (chicken tikka masala with chickpea, cucumber and sundried toms salad, and jasmine rice) to lamb-chorizo posole.

We have set-event menus like our annual shrimp boil, salmon and halibut roast when Ed shows up after his fishing gig, Greek Easter, Cajun night, etc.

We do tend to get cookbook concentric for a month or so at a time, however. Thankfully Terri and I fixate on different ones so our combined repertoire isn't just Italian or Mexican or whatever.

We prefer hosting Christmas because unlike Thanksgiving, the family doesn't hold us to the same-old same-old for that holiday. (I'm not some commie, I do love good roasted turkey.)

Great original question!!!!

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yum. You need to move back to Vegas so we're closer and then we'll stop by for dinner!

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoy cooking and hosting friends/family and have a huge repertoire of recipes to pull from.

For holidays and special occasions I usually just go with the classic beef roast with a few different side dishes - its really what the people want so I don't usually mix it up by putting out something different when everybody is expecting a big roast and all the fixins'

When its more casual gatherings, like just people coming over, game nights, watching NHL playoffs, I really like to whip up a big variety of finger foods where there is still stuff like chips and veggie trays, but also mini sandwiches, different pates and spreads, deviled eggs, etc, etc

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nobody ever comes to my house. If they did, I would order pizza.

9. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Likewise, but if they did it would be soy sauce chicken wings. I always have a container of the sauce in the refer and a bag of wings in the freezer.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DaiLun reminded me of one of our standbys. :thumbsup:

Ono (shoyu) chicken. Soak a bunch of boneless thighs overnight, fire up the grill, two scoop homemade mac, fruit salad, rice, some smoked fish ... good stuff.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a curmudgeon hermit...so no one comes around.

12. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, I make a mean dry-rubbed, grilled tritip roast with mashed taters and Bearnaise sauce, nobody's has asked for less than 2nd's
    you get out this way?, I won't serve you a pizza

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bueno, grilled tri-tip. So central coast! :nworthy:

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I admire you folks... we have a beautiful place that's very well suited for entertaining, but we rarely do it. We prefer to have friends and family meet us at our favorite restaurants and let them (the restaurant, not the friends) do the cooking. I DO love to host and there's never any issue with where the check for the evening will land (my card goes to staff right up front), but we feel a lot more relaxed that way. Occasionally, we'll go back to the house for dessert and a movie with our company, but the big cooking is done by the pros.

15. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me I think its because thats just how I was raised: growing up we had a massive house with pool, large backyard patio, multiple games rooms, conservatory, etc and my parents loved to entertain so we had friends and family over pretty regularly throughout the year. When I was in my 20s and my mom just wasn't able to do it all anymore it just seemed natural for one of us (my brothers and sister) that one of us takes over.

16. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW, a loaded question.......but I'll try...now we mostly entertain in the summer months so it's informal and most times on the deck.

For a starter - Capt Bob's World Famous BBQ Shrimp....THE BEST and blows Emeril's away

Main Meal - Smoked Ribs or Standing Rib Roast done a wood fire or sometimes my FRESH Walleye or Freshwater Perch Fish Fry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ribs
    [​IMG]

Venison Roast
    [​IMG]

17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess because my family is so blended (for lack of a better word - my family tree is a baobab ;-) I have never felt wedded to a certain tradition of doing certain foods for certain holidays. So I don't - just do whatever I think sounds good. Within reason - my MIL doesn't like seafood, so if I feel like serving salmon, I make sure I do another protein she'll be happy with. On the other hand, having to avoid one dish for one meal a year isn't going to kill anyone, so I also don't plan too much around the food issues of all the guests....

One of my families has decided to do another beach week this summer (we last did in 2010) so I'm taking notes on food ideas. There will be 18 of us (current count) that includes 7 kids. Gak. A week of that could challenge even my love of cooking :)

(PS I smoked a venison loin wrapped in bacon last year - looked like that - so good!!!)

18. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The venison was cooked over indirect heat using my charcoal grill. I also do the standing rib roast over indirect heat without a pan but I like using wood for that instead of charcoal. We heat with wood so I always have lots of hickory, maple or black cherry to choose from.

I do cheat, using a electronic probe in both roast and ONLY cooking to 130 degrees. NEVER more. Smoking ribs is much more of a art then cooking with indirect heat......I believe anyone can and SHOULD try cooking a roast on BBQ....it's EASY using that electronic probe that goes off at the temp you set it for.....lots of time for adult beverages while cooking outside....... :)

19. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My house is too small to entertain but I make good mac-n-cheese or lasagna.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple stellar mac iterations are a must have in every repertoire. :thumbsup:

Our first place together was tiny. Dinner "parties" there were four for sit down. We had some great times in that hut.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.