1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

An early St. Pat's celebration

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're celebrating St. Pat's tonight since we have a conflict tomorrow. The brisket's been on a 10-day brine, we picked up fresh cabbage, carrots and parsnips at the farmers' market yesterday. Berries on shortcake for dessert. Guinness and Stolpman carbonic sangiovese for the wine drinkers.

2. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the first time we've "corned" our own beef. Mindlessly easy but you do need fridge space to keep it chill and at 7-8 pounds after I trimmed it it ain't small. Shortcakes just came out of the oven and the smell is mingling nicely with the beef simmering away.

It's a day early but Happy St. Pat's to all ... and it's our 20th (dating) anniversary tomorrow, hence tonight's little soiree.

3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy!!

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    funny you mention dating anniversary... i took my future wife to fire works on a july 3rd.

congrats....
    me? I'm waiting for St Josephs Day ,March 19.

5. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great meal to me. And, congratulations on the anniversary.

Bill

6. hawki39

hawki39 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [QUOTEand it's our 20th (dating) anniversary tomorrow, hence tonight's little soiree][/QUOTE]

My wife and I had our 1st date, a St. Patrick's Day Dance/Party at an Irish Fire Company 24 years ago 3-16-90. To keep it easy to remember and simple, we got married 3-16-01.
    We did a dinner and a trip to Mohegan Pocono/PA. We/she won enough to cover dinner $60 and come home with +$150= +$210. I'm hoping it is a preview of upcoming Vegas trip!! :D

7. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like everything and everybody got thoroughly saturated!

My idea of good Irish food does not extend beyond beer, cheese, steel cut oats, and bread.

Congrats and many more.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations on the anniversary Ken2v!!!

We took a slightly more "commercial" tact on the festivities and Saturday bought 3 good-sized briskets at Costco and then got a whole bunch of red-potatoes, cabbage, baby carrots, etc at Raley's. My wife cooked everything up later that same day and weight to finish it up by tonight to tomorrow. It's been GREAT!!! I Love good corned-beef and often wonder why we don't do the cabbage more often around here, Now I've gotta go get dressed for the day, with my green tie, so I don't get pinched!!!

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the anniversary Ken! :thumbsup:

We go the commercial route and then my wife desalinates it the day before we slow cook it.

Cabbage, carrots and potatoes to go with. It's in the slow cooker now and I am getting so hungry just smelling it. We started out doing 8 hours on low, but discovered the brisket turned out much better with just 4 hours on high.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks folks.

Winner winner, Dutch boy cooks Irish dinner! The best corned beef ever. Wasn't pink because we didn't use potassium nitrate but no one minded and a few of our guests are really paranoid about such additives, anyway. The brisket started out at 10 lbs., I trimmed I'd guess two pounds of fat and the sucker barely fit in a several gallon brining container. Amazing how it diminished in the hot tub. We'll definitely go this route again some time.

Enjoy your meals on the "correct" day, ya'll!!!

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just popped mine into the crockpot. Poured in a bottle of Fat Tire just for the hell of it. 3 pounder was $18.48!!! but got $7 off with store card.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.