1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Host negotiations?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by bedaniels, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you all ever negotiate offer details with your host?

For example I'll email my host at MB with the dates I looking at and she will respond with 3 comp nights and so much resort credit.
    If I have a 4th night she tells me how much that will cost. Are additional items like the 4th night, show tickets, more resort credit, or spa passes negotiable? I usually just take her first offer since my mlife account usually does not have many good competitive offers?

Thanks

2. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You touched on the issue yourself. The key is that you really need a second party to negotiate off of. Whether that's an offer from a sister property, or a competitor. That's not to say that you can't ask for more, but there's not a high likelihood that your host will budge, up front anyways. Obviously check with them at the end of the stay to see what can be taken off additionally. You're a lot more likely to get a better comp from MB if you can go to your host and say "I have X from the Venetian, can you match/beat that?" They're more likely to sweeten the deal if they think they might lose your play to a competitor.

That said, even if you don't have that you can always ask. Until you hear "No" you'll never know if you are leaving comps on the table.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you need to really know exactly what your play deserves and have a good relationship with your host to be able to negotiate without another offer somewhere else.

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or if you are willing to give up something to get something. I always get a much higher food comp then I need. I have gotten them to reduce the food comp in exchange for more free play. I have gotten them to pay for one night in a really nice suite, rather than 3 nights in a smaller suite.

5. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I normally play 1-2 hours of craps at an average of $250 per toss mainly inside place bets per day, plus 4-6 hours of pai gow poker with an average bet of $250 per day. Plus I'll drop $500 in a single line $25 slot and hope for a home run hit a couple times a trip. Last trip I earned about 155000 tier credits starting from 0. Which dropped to 92000 tier credits after back end comps.

I'm asking the board because on my last trip I set up a trip with the host a couple weeks out my wife decided to come to Vegas also. So I emailed the host and asked if I could get some tickets to MJ one since my wife was coming and the host responded the ticket are complimentary and to pick them up at the box office.

Why was that value not offered in the first place as at least resort credit? Hard comp vs soft maybe?

I have never met the host, email correspondence only.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  6. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

What Shifter and JosieCat said! When I call the Mirage host, she usually asks if I want a suite or a regular room. If I go with a regular room, I get more food comp. if I go with the suite, I get less food comp.

7. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    because it doesn't work that way.

they don't just give you everything you deserve. the less they comp you, the better for their numbers. so they'll offer you something they think you'll accept and go from there.

you have to ask for things if you want them.

8. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got thanks,
    Last trip it the resort credit was $200 and it did not matter if I stayed at MB or Delano.

I'm looking at a trip in May, I'll see what the first offer is then push back a little on the 4th night comp or additional resort credit.

Thanks for your help!

9. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another quick question, is there a best time to contact your host about a trip? Is contacting them a couple months out vs a couple weeks out more or less favorable? Does it just depend on the occupancy during your trip?

10. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    couple weeks is fine unless it's a huge weekend.

couple months is likely they won't pay much attention because they have more pressing things between now and then to worry about.

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have asked the host, "Hey, do I qualify for a ...... room?" and he will respond yes or no, because those rooms are saved for players with a 10K daily average.
    Oh, definitely not me. :eek:
    Nothing wrong with asking and it may help get a better understanding of what you make qualify for.

12. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have done it 4 even 5 months out to get the room.
    We have some many different things that need to fall into place in order to even do a Vegas trip so we need to do it far in advance.

13. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comps are always negotiable worst thing they can say no.

I got an offer from hostess at aria it included 2 for 1 to zarkana. I said i already saw the show and asked for more rc. She gave me $125 more rc. I was happy with that.

14. tldbucs

tldbucs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It took me a couple of trips to figure it out but Shifter said it best, if you want something, ask for it. Surprising how many things you can get by just asking!

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why was it not offered in the first place?

I guess one could look at it another way: I got the host to give a bit more than normal with some free tickets.

OR

They just do not offer more than they have to. After all, they must be measured somehow on what they give away, vs what they bring in. If they give away 100% of the "theo comps", vs giving away 80% of the "theo comps",which is better for the company?

16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Something does not make sense here. Tier credits do not DROP because of back end comps. They build all year and are used to determine level.

17. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually if they are back-end comps, they can drop. If the plan was that you were going to pay for the room, those get applied immediately - so when the room ends up being comped, they take them away. Although this seems like a very high amount. On my last trip mine dropped as I had intended to pay for my Vdara suite with EC's, but it ended up being comped on the back end.

18. Kickin

Kickin Flea

That's really good. The $125 RCs is way better than the 2-for-1 Zarkana tickets. I didn't know they can do that. I always have 2 tix to any shows on MLife offers but don't always need them. I'd rather get more resort credit.

19. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've waived F&B in exchange for a better room type. I'd imagine you might be able to waive F&B in exchange for additional night(s).

Also, MLife Tier Credits are supposed to be backed out if you get back-end comps. We had a poster a year or two ago who saw his TCs go down a couple of weeks after a trip and figured out it was exactly the amount he had comped.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  20. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agree. I always ask for things. They may say no, and I say OK and let it go.
    I also make sure I take care of my host at the end of a trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.