1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

haha how is this still a thing? Daylight savings time

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Hobofrank, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I question it yearly!

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! The Nevada Legislature is considering a bill this week (good timing) to eliminate it for us.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never understood why it is so difficult for so many. But, hey, I'm cool with setting it and leaving it so long as they put/leave that extra hour at the end of the day when it is useful. In fact, I'd go Daylight+2 and then lock it down.

5. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A surprising thing to hear from a golfer. I would expect most golfers to want to go the opposite way in fact.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well for people who actually work it's a pain in the ass for a week or so. No different than jet lag really. It's a boon for public golf courses because people can hit the links after work and get up to 18 holes in, depending on the latitude.

When I was a runner, I loved the extra time in the evening.

I love going to twilight baseball games.

I love it for the extra light to wait on high tide when I'm fishing.

I love it for the extra time I get in the warm months to enjoy evening hours out on my patio.

I am going censor myself right here so I don't get into trouble. If anyone wants to know what I'm thinking, PM me.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not at all. Dawn still comes for the dew-sweepers, but when you can play golf (fish, bike, barbecue) with a late sun who wants to settle for earlier-arriving darkness? And its a boon to post-work leagues.

When we moved from So Cal to the PNW in '73, in June, I was stunned by what I saw. It was heavenly. They forgot to tell me about winter.

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get "the rub" either... twice a year, I walk around before I go to bed and change the clocks... the next morning, I do the vehicles (you know us hardliners... gotta have things perfect)... it's really no big deal. BUT... I've also failed to have it adequately explained to me the GOOD reason as to why I'm doing it???

9. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because zee germans, no srsly in WWI they somehow saved on fuel doing this

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of all the things in life to get upset, or worry over, this isn't even on the radar. People, it's twice a year!

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear Vegas instituted a DST fee!!!!

12. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yes but it's dumb and pointless. And besides the documented effects it has on people's sleep it's annoying if you do business across different countries, some of which recognize DST and some which don't.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Countries? What about states not even jiving? And then there is AZ where the Navajo nation goes on MDT unlike the rest of the state, yet the Hopi Nation inside Navajo stays on MST.

Every smartphone and computer and tablet and what not has world times.

14. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I'm sure anyone who constantly deals with those time zones in the US gets annoyed too. Its not hugely cumbersome to check or remember time differences in various time zones you deal with but its annoying for example because I'm constantly dealing with Asia where some countries recognize DST and some don't. Last week if I had to schedule a conference call with someone in Singapore and someone in Jakarta they were both in the same time zone, now they aren't until we go through this same pointless ritual in the fall.

None of it would be an issue if DST actually served a useful purpose.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see it as purposeful so there is no issue then. (Standard is the problem, anyway.)

Time is relative not absolute. Is it really more troublesome to set up a three-way call for 10am, 2pm and 3pm for the respective parties than 10 am and 2pm? Seriously? What about, "Let's chat at 12 noon Greenwich time." Done. Every responsible adult only needs to figure out one time.

Anyway, time zones themselves aren't so geographically pure, communities look east or west for there economic and cultural peers elsewhere not their brethren north/south of them.

16. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you read about it they say they keep it in place because its suppose to help in reducing overall electricity usage. The newest thing is this would help slow down "global warming".

What time would they keep if they did without it? I sure do enjoy the extra hr of daylight in the summer!

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And if we just lock it down right now -- those of us with in the daylight states -- you get to keep that "extra" hour of daylight in the winter, too.

18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a dweller of a place that gets dark at 3:30pm in winter, I choose we just leave it alone from here on out. :)

I am really affected (effected?) by this time change, the "fall back" is less bothersome for whatever reason. But I am all wonky for at least a week after we "spring forward". Luckily I picked up a new bag of beans and that Seattle Serum should get me through. :wink2:

19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huh, what is DST? Never heard of it :poke:, I live in Hawaii and we got no such thing.

Kidding aside I had the displeasure of encountering the change this time. I left for home on Sunday morning, glad that the hotels reminded me of the change but I seem to have lost 1 hour that I could have used for more sleep. I thought that I went to bed at 1 am but only ended up with 3 1/2 hours of sleep since I had to get up at 5:30 to get to the airport.

20. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When Indiana adopted it, residential electricity use rose by 1% in 2006

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.