1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bellagio, Orleans, Rio....Absinthe, Raiding the Rock Vault, Marriage....

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by IvanBeausky, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Just got back to beautiful Indiana after enjoying upper 60s and sun in Las Vegas. Man, this really sucks!

Wife and I decided to couple a short getaway for us with a conference I had at Rio for the first week of March. Wife is a micro-microroller (rather get shoes!), and she hasn't been to LV in over 10 years. So I set it up with her being mostly in the dark for what was in store for her!

Due to work constraints, we would be travelling separately. I arrived at 9 am on Thursday, direct flight, smooth as silk, and despite a short delay to get out due to de-icing, it was all good! I collected all our bags, got our rental car, and headed to Bellagio. I have never stayed at the B, and it was fabulous. I had reserved a regular fountain view, but with the $20 sammich, I lucked into a Premium Fountain View! SCORE!!!! Checked in, car rented, bags unpacked, now for some lunch at Earl of Sandwich. Love this place. Every trip at least 3 or four times. Never disappoints. Played $10 craps at PH for a couple hours (pretty good amount of time invested for a minor loss) before heading back to get car from valet.

DW's flight arrived after a short delay at 8:00. Met her down by baggage, but since she only had her small carry-on, we walked right to our car and drove to the B. She was (as was I) impressed as hell with the view. I had not really made a definite plan for that night, but we decided at last minute to go see Absinthe. WOW. What a show. Best I have ever seen. Entertaining as hell. If you are easily offended by language or boobies, don't go. After show, headed back to B for drinks and bed.

Friday. After sleeping about 6 hours (that is a long time for me, not quite enough for DW), we got up and headed to HHAGG for breakfast. Good food, way too much of course, but very good. We then drove out to Red Rock Canyon to take in the sights and do some light hiking. Wow is this place beautiful. We stopped and took some pics, looked around, and then came up on the hiking trail to Icebox Cavern. We had plenty of time, so we decided to give it a go. Without knowing how far you've gone, or really where you are going to wind up, it was definitely a gamble that I hadn't intended on taking.

It had snowed a good bit early in the week and then the rain melting the snow made the waterfall at the end of the trail totally worth it. We hung out a bit, and then headed back. The hike back (now mostly downhill thank God) was much easier, but it was still interesting and a good work out! We got back to car, and drove back to the B. We got cleaned up and headed over to the Trop for Raiding the Rock Vault. Another very good choice. The cast was great, and pretty much all of the mainstream rock influences were covered. That is with a couple notable exceptions (and I am being nitpicky here!): Nothing from Clapton, KISS, or Rush. That being said, I would go back in a second to watch it again. Another late night drinking and then off to bed.

Saturday we slept even later, but got up in time for breakfast at the B Café. Good food plus the bloody marys and whatever the fruity Jack Daniels thing she drank soaked up the $100 dining credit we had for my reservation. We walked north on the strip thru Paris and Ballys enjoying the nice weather and light crowds. We made it as far north as the V, and then decided it was time to get back to the room and get ready for dinner. We hadn't made it downtown yet, and then we decided to go down to the D for the dinner/murder mystery show Marriage can be Murder. (I think that is what it was called). Very average, with average food. It was fun, but after the other two shows, it just paled in comparision. We drove back to the B, packed and collapsed for about 6 hours again.

Sunday the DW had a 10:00 flight so we got up, checked out of the B (uneventful) went to Ellis Island for breakfast. One of my favorites, and the DW agreed. I then dropped her off at McCarran for her (thankfully also uneventful) flight home. Now the degenerate gambler lamp is lit! I drove over to the Orleans to get checked in for that night. Nothing was available yet, so I was told to come back in a couple hours (about noon). Went to craps table and hit em for about $1K. Then went and checked in. 9th floor, view of pool. Nice room, plenty for me. Headed back down to gamble up, played just about everything and was still up a bit when I met up with fellow VMB'er "Rice" for the Robert Cray concert at the Orleans showroom. Great show, and he's still flat out got it. Looks the same, sounds the same, wish I had gone back for a repeat of this show as well. And to my new friend Rice, an enthusiastic THANK YOU for the invite! :beer:

After the show, still mildly impaired, decided to hit the bar hard so I would be able to sleep. Managed about 5 hours of sleep and then checked out in the morning.

Monday, went over to Rio for conference I was attending and staying at. Requested a room in the Ipanema Tower (just because it is way closer to the convention area), and got a stellar view of the strip and a bunch of a/c units on top of the convention hall. The remaining 3 nights are simply a mix of craps, poker, video poker with conferences during the day. One side trip, our group had a dinner at Juicy - n - Hot Crawfish. It was also very good.

Made it back to Indiana myself on Thursday to a brisk 19 degrees. Glad I only have 12 days until my next trip!

Ivan

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you had a great trip. I want to catch Raiding the Rock Vault this year. Love hiking at Red Rock!

[youtube]7wcgaRkHAWY[/youtube]

3. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh so Indiana is cold, is it? BOO frickin' HOO. :poke: Glad you and the missus had a good time. See ya at work, if you are partaking. :peace:

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report!

And definitely hear you on the winter weather. Went from 20 to 70 when we went. Was very nice!

5. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sux coming back to the cold. Great show selection; loved RTRV and Absinthe and plan to see RTRV again. My hat's off to your wife drinking JD at breakfast, fruity or not lol. I usually go mimosa, champagne or bloody mary for my wake up drunk in Vegas lol. Lucky you heading back so soon!

6. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife is a baller. That is for sure. Weather breaking better at home, and another trip to LV impending. Life is good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.