1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping Valet Parking Question - Self Parking Not An Option

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ExVegasLocal, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to live in Vegas, so you would think I would know the answer. But I need some input from the VMB group.

I generally prefer to self-park, but on the occasion that I valet, I tip both when dropping off the car and when picking the car up. It seems to me that a service is being performed in both instances, and so I feel a tip is in order at both drop-off and at pick-up. But now, I have a quandary. I'm booked to stay in a hotel for a week that ONLY offers valet parking. Self parking is not an option. Tipping in and out every time could get pricey over the course of a week. And while I'm not a cheapskate, I'm definitely "value-conscious".

Given the circumstances, do you think it is appropriate to tip both when dropping the car off and when picking it up? And, given the frequency that I will probably be using valet services, what is the appropriate amount? I would rather budget appropriately than stiff a tipped employee. On the other hand, I can't afford to spend $50 a day tipping the valet. Thoughts?

2. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this helps but my uncle who was a local for a few years used to tip the valet guys $10 each for in and out at Caesars ($20). They all knew him by name and always kept his car out front in the valet area and in the shade if it was too hot.

I would just tip $5 each for in and out ($10).

3. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is what I used to do as well. But that was just for one occasional in/out per day. We will probably come and go a few times per day for a week. I just don't think I am prepared to tip $200+ for the week. But is that is the consensus, then I suppose I should.

4. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may be considered cheap with valet, but $5 each way to me is too much. On special occasions or if I'm simply wanting to save time, sure that seems reasonable. If I'm being forced into it though, I don't feel I need to tip as much. $2-$3/time is what I would do.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure my g/f only gave a dollar on pickup the 20 or so times we used valet this last trip as necessitated by her mother's limited mobility. I'll admit this is below average tipping (she probably should have gave at least $1 both ways), but I don't recall any subpar service either. If you can afford $5 per effort to help them make some extra cash, great. But you're usually not going to get a much better level of service for it either. I would definitely at least lower it to $2 per pickup your case since you are frequently going to valet, or even $1 each way if money is tight.

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't tip on drop off unless I know I will be parking for a few days.

$5 on pick up.

7. Universal

Universal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

The only other time tipping is needed on drop off is if you are asking for something special, like keeping your car parked up front.

8. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I forgot that you would be going in/out multiple times per day. Maybe you could try speaking with a valet supervisor and try to come up with a reasonable tip before checkout that all the valets can share? But make sure that the other guys are aware of it?

9. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I give $3 on Pickup, but.......

From the The Unofficial Guide to Las Vegas 2015 .

VALET PARKING :
    Two dollars is correct if the valet is courteous and demonstrates some hustle.

A dollar will do if the service is just OK. Only pay when you take your car out, not when you leave it.

Because valet attendants pool their tips, both of the individuals who assist you (coming and going) will be taken care of.

If the valet service is jammed, hand over a $ 10 or $ 20 to the person who takes your claim ticket and tell him you’d like the car brought up right away. You’ll be moved to the head of the line.

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  10. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Park across the street.

11. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2-3 bucks at each pick up.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do $1 both in and out. Twice there's been a lineup and I've needed the car so I tipped $10 and the car came out next. I'm also friendly and polite.

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $3 on pick up if the car is out in under 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the tip goes down to $2. After 10 minutes the tip goes down to $1. No tip on drop off.

14. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprised I'm in the minority here, but I tip more at DROP off ($5-10, depending on resort) and less at PICK UP ($3-5)
    My simple reasoning is that I do not want to short change the guy that's about to get behind the wheel and park my ride. However, when leaving I'll probably never see the guy again. Again, certainly not going to stiff the guy on pick up, but dropping off seems the right spot to be generous. Of course, service and how my trip is going financially may influence my generosity.

15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Valet only? Caution as there is probably (?) a charge for that on a daily basis. A hotel in San Antonio is known to charge 25 $ a day for parking and it is valet only. I don't know, with multiple pick up / drop offs, it wears you out after a while. I laughed at first but now, just park across the street sounds more viable.....if possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! I just didn't know what was expected! I always tip $2 at drop off and $2 at pick-up, figuring it usually takes them just a couple minutes each time (logic I used, not knowing what was protocol.) Given what I'm reading, I'll continue this way, but up the ante significantly if there is a wait at pick-up and ask for car right away!

FYI - I always use valet as wandering around a parking garage in Las Vegas is just not on my "to do" list.

17. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the suggestions and especially for this bit of information! This is the amount I had in mind...$2 in, $2 out. This amount will fit into my budget.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm booked at the 255-room Platinum Hotel at Flamingo and Koval. Given the number of rooms, I don't expect any long waits. As to why they don't allow self-parking, I'm unsure. Perhaps the reason will become clear after I've stayed.

18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $1 at pickup is plenty.

19. stripes46

stripes46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I normally tip $2 or $3 at pick-up only at The Orleans!

20. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't tip at drop-off. At pick-up, it's a $2 tip; at pick-up at the hotel where we are staying we tip $3.00.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.