1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Being bullied at work

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Backagain1, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How would you handle being bullied at work by a supervisor?

2. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell them fuck you, I'm out.

3. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A hole in the desert? This is a Vegas board, after all. Just kidding. Assuming you have clearly communicated your concerns to the supervisor and nothing has changed, going to his/her supervisor is the next step, no?

4. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First thing I suggest is to keep records. Second would be what Vegaskid said, you have to go to their supervisor.

5. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not enough information/detail to give you a cogent answer

based on so little, I'd either quit or knock them on their ass in front of God and everyone

6. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As numeno stated, I think your first step is to keep accurate records of every incident that might be interpreted as bullying or creating a "hostile workplace". One of the key things in a case like this is that the problem behavior is ongoing over a significant period of time. You usually have to prove that this bad behavior has been going on for quite a while. As I tell kids at my school: Every disagreement does not constitute bullying but a pattern of abusive behavior over a period of time almost always is a case of bullying. Get your documentation of when, where, and what happened.

7. jf3976

jf3976 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is little info, but here's a few thoughts. Documentation is good, but you have to demonstrate that you have done your due diligence as well (talked with them, good attitude, etc...) or you could come across as a whiner, negative, insert whatever other negative adjective you want here. The sad reality is even if they are a complete ass, they are a supervisor, and likely have some clout with someone (or many) who is (are) blind to their antics.

Again, ensure you've done your part to be a part of the solution and not the problem (I am NOT "blaming the victim", but you have to CYA, unfortunately, it's the real world and that sucks), then if you aren't comfortable going up the chain (or talking to a peer of someone up the chain), then if your company has a reporting hotline, you can call it.

Other options include sucking it up and praying they get fired/quit, or start looking for a new job.

8. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all. I am keeping records. Will go to his boss on Monday and see what happens.
    There is a pattern and also several signs of setting me up for failure. If that makes sense.

9. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do feel that the superiors are "blind to the antics."

10. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    can you expand on this with maybe some more detail(s)?, we would be of much more use to you if you gave more specifics

11. jf3976

jf3976 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I may understand that all too well, and you are welcome to PM me if you'd like. If you feel you are on the chopping block, all you can really do is either ignore it (hey, some people can do that), or deliberately demonstrate/prove that you shouldn't be (as long as that effort doesn't interfere with your actual job functions, because that sure won't help your case). It's a bunch of damn game playing. You'll be better off if his boss likes you, but still may not help. Definitely won't do any good to be an obvious kiss-ass, but we're all lying to ourselves if we say we've never made sure the boss (or his boss) saw something positive.

Eh, with a vague situation, you get vague answers - but best of luck to you.

In the end, I'd be brushing up my resume and ensuring I have contacts and such saved, just in case you leave (by choice, or not...).

12. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a real jerk of a supervisor several years ago. It wasn't until I got fed up and got a bit unprofessional myself that he backed off a little. Another coworker threw him against a wall in anger. After 9 months I had had enough and was ready to make a move but then he announced he was resigning. I received the email announcing his imminent departure while at Bill's in Vegas. It made my vacation even better!

13. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are being discriminated against as a member of a protected status the employer could be asking for big legal problems. http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html
    On the other hand, some bosses are just jerks and if they treat everyone badly but equally (assuming it's not against a protected status) it becomes more of a gray area.
    Good luck.

14. Happi

Happi MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would let Mr. Napoleon and Wayne take care of the situation... Case closed...

15. hawki39

hawki39 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having gone through a harassment case with my wife, circa 1990s, I can attest that you document everything...a notebook labeled "Notes for my Lawyer" is something the company will notice and is perfectly legal to have at work. (write everything in it that pertains to your complaints, dates, times, people involved). Contact the EEOC (equal employment Opportunity Commission) and tell them about your situation, They will help you if you have a valid issue. When your company gets notice from the EEOC they WILL take notice. I hope you have the fortitude to follow it through--if you company decides to fight it...it is a rough road but justice is available if you see it through.

16. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Give us more info??

We've all had asshole bosses who are just plain dicks......

being pushed out is not the same thing as bullying. I was at a place for 4 years and I had about 4 bosses.....one put me on the chopping block. It was not fun........I can feel your pain.

As the one post said, its just a game. This is easier said then done but dont let it get to you.
    Going to his boss might not be the best thing as he could be in on it too and you will just get BS answers. Has there been any disciplinary actions? What are the patterns?

17. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like the other guys said, it is very difficult to answer this question without the full details. Obviously others have said document what is going on. But just going to his direct boss and talking about what is going on may not be enough to cover you if it does have to get to the point of going to HR. I have been on both situation as an employee and a supervisor and have run into situations before where things had to get taken to management. I know its tough to stomach but unfortunately sometimes management will either take the supervisors side or make you out to be the trouble maker in the situation to protect the company (just be prepared for that).
    Here are some of my suggestions from some of the management/HR trainings I have gone through. These are tactics that management is supposed to do to cover themselves and the company from a bad employee but as the employee you are able to do this against them. This is gonna be the best way to get documentation of what's going on without it just being a he said, she said situation.
    1. Email the supervisor with what the items are that you are having an issue with (again be careful not to incriminate yourself in any way and don't make it sound like you are complaining. If it is a situation where you think that you are being setup for failure, ask why he wants things the way it is). If the supervisor is an idiot, he will bully you or incriminate himself and you have all the proof you need.
    2. If you can handle being in the situation, set up a meeting with the supervisor. Tell him your concerns and get his responses. After the meeting followup with an email with an overview of your meeting; include what your points were and what his responses were. / do the same when you have a meeting with your supervisor's manager. Everytime you meet, send him an email with the details of the meeting. It doesn't mater whether they respond or not, this will be the legal proof if they are trying to wrongfully terminate you or if you are being harassed.
    If you do these things you have solid proof of the situation when you go to management. The emails end up being your protection from management taking the supervisors side and making you out to be the problem. Also if you just go to management without having this documentation, the supervisor may just deny everything and you don't have any proof at that point.

18. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having a notebook labeled "Notes for my Lawyer" at work is a sure-fire way to alienate yourself from coworkers and just about every rational person in your workplace. There are far better ways to handle adverse situations in the workplace. Documenting everything is sound advice.

Nick:beer:

19. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I went though this, I made sure they knew I was documenting everything. You do that by the follow up emails, and do everything by email. Avoid any face to face. I also CCed my personal email address on all emails.

Companies are scared of lawsuits and negative press. As an I.T guy, while working in our lawyers office I snooped in some folders. What caught my eyes were the names on the folders... their was a stack about 8 or 10 folders from past employees who were suing for wrongful termination. The one that caught my eye was "demanding" 100k, and the company offered 10k but the employee rejected. There was another one who was offered 5k off the bat.

I remember I was going to vegas for my first time with 5 other childhood buddies I grew up with.....They refused my vacation request with some BS story. So being the asshole I am, I went to my dr, told him flat out what was happening and asked him if he could write me a sick note...:) :)

The guy never fired me though. I got 2 write ups, and then he left. He worked there about 8 months. No one liked him and our clients were not found of him. There are rumors that he was on his way out. I took it as a game and knew if I just played I would outlast him just from the way everyone talked about him.

No one else gave me any problems...I still dont know why he wanted to can me.

20. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rude gestures and comments. Having me set appointments to discuss and being a no show. Saying customers are complaining
    But no evidence, names times etc. saying my work is not correct. Making demands on me that my co workers do not get, limited time to perform etc.
    friendly emails when emailing myself and bosses but different experience in one to one correspondence.

Thanks all. Will try to send pms during the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.