1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

F*cking roundabouts!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have hated these things since they starting putting them in. Safer than a 4 way stop, my ass.

Going to breakfast this morning and some old guy (80+) never yields, never slows down and hits me in the back end of my car. Totally his fault. Cops called but no ticket issued, just an accident report is filled out. Thankfully, no injuries.

Car only has 5,500 miles on it and do you know when I drove it off the lot? March 1, 2014, exactly one year ago today. My first new car in 18 years.

I haven't needed a body shop in 25+ years, so I don't even think I can imagine how much this is going to cost.:cry::cry:

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    shouldn't cost you a cent. the geezers insurance should pay the body shop and a rental for you

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now, now, now... let's put the blame where it belongs... on the old dude. Glad no one was hurt.

4. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We call them circles in NJ, and I hate them too because most people don't know how to go through one. Was rear ended at a traffic light in our 3 month old car. It cost about $5,500 to fix. We didn't have to pay a cent.

5. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People that can't understand roundabouts cannot understand other basic traffic concepts either. Roundabouts have been a godsend to our traffic flow in suburban Columbus. The officer likely "cause coded" him in the report which for insurance purposes is as significant as a citation for your purposes of getting your car repaired on his dime.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not really worried about cost, but I'll bet my insurance rates go up. Hopefully, I wrong about that.

7. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they shouldn't . I'm in the biz.

8. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about the accident. I love roundabouts but hate the people that can't use them correctly. We have a couple of two lane roundabouts, one of which I used to have to drive thru on my way to and from work, and I witnessed some of the worst driving I've ever seen at this roundabout. The other thing that I've surprisingly seen quite a bit of is when somebody in the roundabout comes to a complete stop to let somebody enter in front of them.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My accident was in a single lane roundabout, really no need for any confusion. He just didn't yield and nailed me in the rear end.

10. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ;)

image.jpg

11. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They shouldn't. I had a road rage incident where a lady ripped my mirror off, she then drove off. I got her plate number, but vandalism was under my comprehensive coverage. My rates did not go up.

12. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok can somebody please tell me what a roundabout is? I can only think of the song by Yes. :wink2: Sorry you got nailed Joe.

13. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's a picture of one. Basically instead of a stop sign or a traffic light, sometimes cities put in roundabouts. You enter into the roundabout when it's clear and drive counterclockwise until you get to the exit you need to use, and then exit the roundabout. Vehicles that are already in the roundabout have the right of way.

2008_03_12_-_UMD_-_Roundabout_viewed_from_Art_Soc_Bldg_4.jpg

15. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's an intersection with a traffic circle instead of stop signs. Traffic flows to the right and you yield to any traffic in the circle. It's supposed to make traffic flow and not slow things down.

Our city experimented with them in certain areas. In one subdivision they actually removed them and converted the intersections to 4-way stops which me made laugh because people don't always seem to grasp how those are supposed to work either!

Sorry to hear about the accident Joe. Even though you're not at fault, it's still a pain dealing with the whole process.

16. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I guess you have yield to the cars in the circle. Looks like a cluster f to me.

17. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they have them on grand bahama island... only there you have to remember to drive on the left

18. Landshark

Landshark Way into it...

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The craziest one I have ever navigated is in Negril, Jamaica. I rented a scooter for the week and went thru a dozen or so times. Each time was an experience all its own! They also drive on the left.

20. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank Christ there are only two of those damn roundabouts within a 200 mile radius of me. (That I am aware of)

People here in SoCal surely would play hell trying to navigate through those!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.