1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A tale of 2 donuts (actually 5 donuts reviewed)

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by ruralhipster, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy a doughnut (donut) and a coffee in the morning especially if I'm hopping in the car to go somewhere. So here are a few reviews from my last vacation.

O-Face Doughnuts 124 6th street (facing Carson in a blue square building)
    I went here one morning on my way from MSS heading towards Sams Town to bowl and catch a movie. I was really excited to try the Bacon Apple Fritter and was harshly disappointed. It was so dry and flavorless I asked the cashier if it was a day old. Luckily I ordered a cappuccino so I had a chance to tear off a corner and try it before I left the shop. The cashier apologized and offered me the signature maple bacon doughnut instead. A vast improvement but I wasn't super impressed for the price I expected to be blown away, it could be a case of high expectations not being met. On the plus side the cappuccino was among the best I've ever had. I'm not sure I recommend them based on this visit but as they are literally a block south of El Cortez with good customer service and great coffee it's very likely I will give them a second chance. Small cappuccino and a doughnut was about $7 with tip.

Ronald's Donuts 4600 Spring Mountain Rd (north side of the road past many different Asian restaurants and Tuggeries)
    It's about a mile west of the highway so I wasn't sure it would be worth the detour on my way from downtown heading towards LA to visit a buddy but I have heard good things about them so I thought I would risk the 20 minutes of my life. In short they get it right. Located in a nondescript strip mall I was reassured that there was a couple people at the tables, one other person in line and a young family just leaving. (I love a business that is busy enough to have steady product turnover but not so busy I would have to wait any length of time: Ronald's hits that sweet spot of utilization) I ordered the apple fritter and a medium coffee. First of all the coffee was what I have have come to expect from the better Donut huts throughout the states (ie better than gas station or fast food joints, light to medium roast, smooth, not bitter, plenty of caffeine and easy to quaff). Secondly the Apple fritter may be the best I've ever had. Moist, well-spiced, sweet without being cloying and plenty large. This store will be revisited on most future Vegas trips. Around 4 bucks with a well deserved tip.

BabyCakes M Resort 12300(5677256373899464389) Las Vegas Blvd S.
    I enjoy staying at the M resort as it's already 1/8 of the way to Los Angeles if I'm heading that way. During my stay I occasionally have a quick bite at Babycakes which is conveniently located between the hotel elevators and the Registration/Valet entrance (they offer coffee, gelato, pastries and a few other edibles). To be honest the coffee, lattes and other hot beverages are fair to middling and the gelato does in a pinch but I will drive 30 minutes to Luv-it if I have that particular craving. Of their donuts I have tried the custard-cream filled and their version of the Cro-nut. I prefer the cream filled as the dough is a bit on the greasy side and the lightly flavored and abundant custard adjacent cream filling cuts it nicely. A very heavy and filling donut but a bit pricey so it's not worth the trip unless you are already nearby . A donut and coffee will run you about 7-10 with tip depending how fancy you like your coffee beverages.

Krispy Kreme 9791 S Eastern Ave
    Just because I've stopped here a couple times I thought I would add them to the review list. First of all I worry about the sanity of anyone who would stop at a KK if the "hot doughnut sign" isn't on, There is only one legitimate reason to visit and that is to have an insulin-crippling, sucrosic, melt in your mouth, hot donut. The beverages aren't terrible and I usually buy one so I am not a donut freeloader. (when the sign is on they give you a free donut, or at least they did the last time I went 8 months ago, however I keep waiting for that policy to change) Unless you are in a large group do not be tempted to buy the dozen hot original glazed, they are like a fluffy airy drug and overdoses are common.

Doughnut Hut 2025 W Magnolia Blvd Burbank, CA
    While not in Las Vegas I associate them with my trips since it's my coffee and doughnut stop on almost every trip I make between LA and Las Vegas. I always get a coconut glazed and large coffee. Overall this place ranks solidly above Randy's near LAX and just below Ronald's in Las Vegas in terms of quality and value. Then you just take Magnolia to Victory to the 5 to the 134 to the 210 to the 15 and Bob's your uncle you're at the El Cortez 3 1/2 to 4 short hours later

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, hipster. I now have diabetes from reading this post.

(Good reviews, though...I do enjoy me some doughnuts.:thumbsup:)

3. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I'm so tempted to brave the snow now and find some doughnuts and coffee.

4. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Being from the East Coast, I am a fan of KK. Their original glazed are the texture i want from a doughnut...doughy, not cakey. After a few days, if you still have any left, and they are not so doughy anymore, pop them in a toaster oven and toast it until the glaze caramelizes and browns to a slight crisp. You end up with a hot crispy outside and a soft chewy inside! Add a scoop of Breyers vanilla ice cream to this and it is almost heaven!

Now that I am on the west coast, there are dozens of mom&pop donut shops. One small chain over here that my BIL and SIL really like is Winchells. There is actually one right across the street from Mandalay Bay. Not my favorite, but they love it.

5. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate the reviews. I will probably go into a diabetic coma tomorrow. :) I haven't had BabyCakes in years, but I really enjoyed their pastries at one point and time.

6. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dang you, ruralhipster! It's the middle of the night, I can't sleep and now all I can think about are................

7. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me thinks you might be exaggerating just a tad! lol

Thanks for the write up. Let me say that again, but imagine that I am rolling my eyes as I say it. Geez, thanks for the write up. Because I am going to agree with VPDana here. I am about to get in my car and go to my favorite donut shop now! :peace:

8. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone who thinks that the 3 most beautiful words in the English language are anything other than "Hot Doughnuts Now" has never been to Krispy Kreme when the light is on.

9. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL...sadly true! I was going to add something to this that was a tad too risque to post :wink2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.