1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

It's cold enough for me now

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 degree is enough to keep my furnace running . I dont know if it's a record setter but it's damm close. I know it's much worse in other places north of here but each day brings spring closer. Feel sorry for people who have to be outside on days like today.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got up at 4AM and out temp was -17. 7:30 CST and we have warmed to -6.

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My house was cold and my little guy has Novo Virus !
    Thermostat was set at 70........read 62-64.
    Of course, I called Furnace guys on record coldest morning - for a cleaning.
    I think it's soot clogging + making the furnace run at less capacity.
    Watched a YoU Tube video at 3 am - "How to clean your furnace."
    I'd have to buy tools + jet vac......first !.......then, not electrocute myself.
    But gotta go to work ---
    and

I'm on call for more snow removal this weekend = 3 to 6 inches snow/then turning to ice - then rain.
    the Furnace guys will do it....I'll gladly pay..........but when will they show ?.......April ?
    Pitchers + catchers ?...........not here ! baby !

4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to play with the US Air Force at Eilson AFB near Fairbanks, AK a few years ago in February when the temp was -52 F during the day. It hurt to breathe even and I gained a new perspective on cold and those who live in it and work in it.

Not much we can do about it but make sure to take care of your pets too. Spring will come and boy will it be welcome this year!

5. NYNJMINC

NYNJMINC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was 8 degrees here in Charlotte NC this morning. I know this is not horrible by northern standards but people down here don't have the wardrobe for it. We've had the lowest tempertures since the 1800's.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 here in the Philly area as well. My buddy in Calgary said it was 50 yesterday, this has been one whacky winter. I just had new windows installed a few weeks ago and they really make a difference. I live in an area where the electric utility also operates the natural gas distribution and since they want to keep the nuke plant pumping out the megawatts, most homes have heat pumps. Some homes have oil, propane or a heat pump with a propane furnace as the emergency heat. Three years ago I paid to hook up to a natural gas line and replaced my 24 year old heat pump with a new heat pump and NG furnace, so we have been able to ride out this cold weather much easier.

As for the cold weather in the south, make sure you check the strength of the anti freeze in your car. During my first winter with my new bride, the engine block on my wife's Subaru cracked during a cold snap. New home, new bride, new baby on the way, I had to get another car! Plus I had to hear from my Father in law who was a mechanic about what a dumb shit I was.

7. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya, y'all can keep all that crazy weather. It's enough for me to watch it on the TV.

FYI.... It'll be 75 today. But, getting a big front Monday. High of 49.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.