1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cheap Gas Prices.... Should I drive to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Vegas Lover, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Lover

Vegas Lover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the cheap gas prices this year, I am thinking about driving to Vegas. I'm from Wisconsin, so it would be a 27 hour drive one way. However it is the 27 hour drive back that would be the real killer!!!!!! Likely I would need to get a hotel room along the way. Typically I just hop on the plane & go, but thought with cheaper gas prices it might be good to see the Rocky Mountains & do a road trip.

Would you fly or drive?

2. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    depends on if you want to spend those 2-3 days drive time....factor in the price of an oil change, (will be due for one im sure upon return) food while traveling, gas, any unexpected weather delays, road closures, (its the midwest...could happen) or take the plunge...get on a plane...and let someone else worry about getting you there.
    I know...I debate these things in my head also....but I always choose to fly in the end

3. 3T3T3

3T3T3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a personal decision. I would fly enjoy Vegas longer

4. Sethto80

Sethto80 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm originally from southern MN, living in Henderson now. I've done both. It's a pretty boring drive until you hit the Rockies. You can make good time across Nebraska. Utah has some good scenery, pit stops are a ways apart though if that's a concern. There was construction in parts of the Rockies, not sure about now. Also on the 15 in the Mesquite NV-Arizona area. Last time we drove I wanna say it was like 300-350 bucks I'm gas, Ford Escape, 6 cyl. Loaded down. Lol. We always stayed over in Denver, it was roughly halfway. Drive straight through once. If I wanna go back to MN now, I pack a backpack, grab a red eye on spirit for about 35-45 bucks into the twin cities and rent a car. Leaves more time to do things, and is much cheaper.

5. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're driving down from Seattle tomorrow evening.

We did it last year and it's only 18 hours for us and about 1/2 an oil change, but no need for a rental car. We spent a total of about $300 on gas for the whole round trip plus all the driving around in Vegas for 7 days (and we went to the Hoover Dam once.) We averaged 32mpg for the whole trip in our little Honda Fit. Divide that by the 3 of us in the car and it's hard to match $100 round trip for flying.

And that was when gas was averaging around $3.50/gal. I saw $1.85/gal a few days ago (but it seemed to be back up to just over $2 yesterday; didn't notice this morning.)

I used to put the break even point right between 3 to 4 people to make driving a money saving option, now it's more like 2 (assuming the car you take gets decent mileage.) Even better if you're staying longer and factoring in a rental car.

6. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, and no baggage fees. (We're going for a skating competition, gear gets bulky and spare parts and tools get heavy, not to mention getting tools past the TSA and I am NOT checking my skates!)

7. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hell, I'm in Orange County, SoCal.
    260 miles to Vegas.

BUT, I NEVER drive.......ALWAYS fly.
    The drive is a boring bitch.:thumbsdown:
    Been there, done that.

Flight from John Wayne airport: 47 minutes.

Driving is for sober people. :beer:

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    fuck! I forgot all about the High Roller challenge being back!
    I HAVE to convince the wife to drive down!

9. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also driving from northern KY via southern Alabama (Uncle lives there) to Vegas for MM. From southern Ala., I figure 3 - 700 mile days to Vegas. My route will take me up to Jackson, MS to hit I-20 west. Then to Abilene, TX...go north on 84 thru Lubbock and Clovis to hit I-40 at Santa Rosa, NM. Then take a right at Kingman, AZ and LV is straight ahead. After a near airplane crash last MM landing in SLC on my way to LV, I decided to give up flying, but not give up March madness.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. And also I never end up taking the car out of the garage and get anxious the day I leave wondering if the 15 is clear.

11. Vegas Lover

Vegas Lover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I love driving, & I def think I can do it one way, but the ride home would be such a killer! The I just wanna be home feeling & possibly a little hung over :( It would only be my wife & myself in the car, so not too much savings. Would probably save around $300 or $400 driving depending on the gas prices. For me its not just about the money but rather the experience. I think I would like to do it once & probably only once. I would plan to be gone Sat early AM & return home late Sunday, so at least 8 days. I also like the idea of having a car in Vegas & not renting one. Typically if I rent a car its atleast $100 for the trip.

12. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep.
    More and more it seems, the I-15 is a complete nightmare.
    The skies above, however, are always clear. :thumbsup:

13. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $760 later and 2 extra days wasted, I should have flown.

We blew out a spark plug, which, then, also took out 2 ignition coils. Luckily we were able to limp the car 20 miles to the next town, which also seems to have a decent mechanic (recommended by the owners of the hotel we stayed at.)

Oy. We're supposed to be in Vegas already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.