1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Non Vegas hotel rant

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife is a NBA/Bucks fan. As part of her birthday trip next week, I bought two, pricy tickets to the Bucks game the night before we leave for Vegas. Now rather than drive home that night to only turn around the next morning and drive to the airport back in the same direction, I reserved a room at the downtown Milwaukee Hyatt which is across the street from the Bucks game. We can get a head-start on celebrating her BD and not worry about driving.

This morning I'm going through the fine print on my room reservation email.
    Room - one night $129, plus:
    State Tax - 5.6%
    Occupancy Tax - 9.5%
    Self parking in the attached structure $25 per night, even for guests.
    Valet available for $27.
    WiFi $10.

For an upcoming July trip to Seattle, staying downtown, we are paying an average of $300 per night. No car, so no parking fees, but at least free WiFi!

Maybe those Vegas prices are a true bargain. :poke:

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, smartone, here we go again!!!!

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

sorry to hear that Joe.
    I didn't even know Milwaukee still had an NBA franchise ?
    Shows ya how much I follow the Nuthin' Butt Nutt league.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is just tooooooooo funny... I read Joe's post and it was the only thing on my screen and I thought to myself "ahhhh crap", then I scrolled and saw your post Ken and it brought an true LOL!!!!

Just be sure to tip the housekeepers Joe... I hear they're union up there. Keep 'em in the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed!!!

As an aside, I follow the NBA, though not as closely as I used to, but I'll be damned if in the last 15 years or so I can tell the difference between Milwaukee and Minnesota's NBA teams and have thought maybe they could merge and call 'em Minnewaulkee to Milesota or something to clear up the confusion for me. Hope you have a blast at the game Joe! I go to an NBA game about every 5 years and usually get some really good seats as a treat too. It amazes me when these big horses (I mean that respectfully) walk past us and then run like gazelles during the game what truly amazing athletes they are!!!

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey you horses, what do you think this is, a barn? Get OFF my parquet!!!!!

Yep, travel can cost a few bucks. But it sure beats sitting around home all the time.

6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People complain about vegas hotel prices all the time but never think to look at the prices they would have to pay in their own home town.

I would never come here to San Diego and stay, way too pricey for hotels.

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They get whatever the traffic will bear as the saying goes. Big City downtown hotels get a lot of business clientele who dont pay.. The companys dime.
    If you arent a rated player weekend rates in LV and AC are getting really high these days esp. in the better hotels.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What always gets me is when the local hotel or tourism consortium lobbies to have the TOT raised and the locals who won't be staying in said hotels so not paying the freight get all up in arms.

9. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. RedRock702

RedRock702 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taxes in a hotel room are MORE in Milwaukee, than in Las Vegas, that's hillarious! And $25 to park even if you're a guest? It's downtown MILWAUKEE, not Chicago! Have you played enough with the Indians to get them to send you free room coupons? Sunday night when we got dumped on with all that snow, I returned home only to find out that my alley wasn't plowed and my parking spot was knee deep. I double parked and ran inside and grabbed my coupon and called up Potawatomi and they put me up for the night :D

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't stepped foot in that place in ~15-20 years. I do my gambling in Vegas.

Hyatt is just so damn convenient for a Bucks game. No driving once we are checked in and no snow worries in mid February.

12. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you should with ease be able to score a room at the Hyatt for $60 on Priceline; in fact I see a 4* out on Hotwire for $58 on Feb 10

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Priceline is $110 for Feb 11 at Hyatt.
    Hotwire...I don't trust booking where I can't tell which hotel. We want to be across the street from the game at the Hyatt.

I did change reservation using Priceline and saved $19. Almost enough to cover parking. No cancellation allowed.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

I usually use hotels.com and they were showing the Hyatt as more than I had originally paid.

14. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good deal, what I meant was name your own price and you should be able to get near $60; Hotwire is even better with a 4* at $52. Better bidding would be able to help deduct this as most likely the Hyatt. Understand not trusting, however, reverse engineering hotel choice is possible with better bidding, and it's very easy in downtown Milwaukee especially

15. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time I used priceline to head to milwaukee, I usually get the phister (hardly even knew her).. that is not that close to BC though.

16. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The taxes there aren't that bad. Many other cities have an occupancy tax of 15%+ and a sales tax of 8%+. Parking fees in many cities are expensive as well, which is why good public transit (ex. light rail in Seattle) and cabs/Uber is the way to go.

If you really want to save money then stay in the 'burbs where hotels offer free Wi-Fi and parking. Taxes should be a bit lower too..

17. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you heard of Bellevue? If not, it's a small city next to Seattle and both the Hyatt and Westin charge $25-29 per night for parking on weekdays. It's not even a "real city" yet parking fees are similar to that of Milwaukee.

18. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Free parking at the Coast hotel when I stayed there a few years ago! Of course you get what you pay for, I spent more at John Howie for dinner than I did for two nights at that hotel.

19. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the best steakhouses in the area. I prefer eating in the Eastside since parking in Seattle can be a complete mess.

20. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm with friends or family we'll usually end up down by Pikes or down by the piers but when I'm up there by myself I stay away from downtown unless I absolutely need to.

As for John Howie, it was excellent! They overcooked the shit out of my first steak but were great about replacing it when I brought it up to our waiter. They brought out a complimentary app while the new steak was being cooked and then replaced all of our sides at the table when my steak came out. I was a happy camper and then when I received the bill I saw that my $75 steak was left off of it. Needless to say, our waiter got an amazing tip that night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.