1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MyVegas Why would you EVER buy chips for this game?!

Discussion in 'MyVegas' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To date, I have redeemed well over $1k in free stuff through MyVegas. Probably closer to $2k. Free hotel rooms, shows, minus 5 at Monte Carlo, beers at the Monte Carlo pool, the aquarium at Mandalay Bay, but mostly buffets.

I don't obsess about this game, I simply collect my daily spin, and once a week let game run in the background of my work computer. This allowed me to get more than enough chips for (3) rewards, every time.

I don't know about you, buy buying chips not only seems unnecessary, but takes away from the point of this game. Why not j buy the buffet straight up, and save yourself time from playing this game?

I once read that a woman on here has spent over $2k on buying chips, and it blew my mind!

Thoughts?

July 19th - July 24th
  2. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree. I have never purchased chips and never will, kinda defeats the purpose of the game for me. I currently have accumulated just over 550K lp's to use on our trip in June. We figure at least 3 free nights at Red Rock and an additional 3 rewards from Mlife. Then there's additional rewards from my wife's account. Makes for a bargain trip. Now if they could only find an airline partner to get tickets with points!

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people enjoy playing the slots or the blackjack. And some of those people have no intentions of using the loyalty points they earn. It is entertainment to them and worth spending some money. You have to look at it from their side.

Personally I spent some in the beginning to get the 4th award, but that was taken away after my first trip. Was it worth the money I spent? At the time it was, but I wouldn't spend any money on the game now. Unless they came up with a way that auto-collected from your strip every time the chips became available so I don't have to log in throughout the day to collect or lose out on those chips. That might be worth something to me.

4. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I paid $9 for 175K chips once because I was out and it was a really good exchange. It gave me a bankroll and allowed me to build a balance.

5. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree although the hotel room rewards seem to be worth it. So if that 4th reward got someone an extra free night, it might be worth it. But the rewards have plummeted over the past year and that 4th reward doesn't have near the value it had in the early stages of the game. I think they should have additional, more valuable rewards for people who have purchased chips.

But I typically get my rooms comped and travel on the weekend so there really aren't many rewards that have a high value for me. Which is why I've never (and won't) purchased chips before.

6. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a personal choice. Perhaps some people buy them because they like playing the game and want to extend their play when they run out of the daily collected chips.

And it's also a personal choice about how people spend their money.

7. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know it's a personal choice about how people spend their money. This thread was not telling people how to spend their money, it was about why they would spend their $ on this game. Some good points were brought up, but spending money for something that is supposed to be comped seems counterproductive, and not a real "comp".

July 19th - July 24th
  8. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The game wasn't built on giving people free stuff just for the fun of it. It is a business for MyVegas. There are a lot of comments around about people actually getting mad that they get LPs from their spins, when I would think people are playing to get the LPs. People spend their $ because they enjoy playing the game. I am glad people DO spend money on chips. It keeps MyVegas around and allows people to continue to get some great perks for their trips! I wouldn't get NEAR the comps from my play in Vegas alone, nor would most people.

9. Pattie

Pattie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One time, two years ago, I spent $5 on chips so I could get a fourth reward which had a value of $150. $145 saved was worth it then. I have not used any rewards since that trip and probably will never spend money on that game again. I do keep up with the daily spins and I am in a group of 20 people that share chips. I have 990,000 LPs right now but have no idea what to spend them on when we go again.

10. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second that.
    if it wasn't for people spending money, then this game would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

I bought 140k chips when I first started playing when the game first came out. It allowed me to build a small bankroll that has now turned into about 3m chips (I stopped playing between May 2013 and Dec 2014).
    I turned that into Mirage Tower Suite stays, Cirque shows, F&B credits, and many other things.

best $20 I ever spent.

11. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've spent enough to get a 4th reward (little less than $50), and after 4 trips I've used over $3,000 in rewards. I usually redeem for the more valuable rewards such as show tickets and room rewards. However, I couldn't justify spending enough to get a 5th ($500ish?) or 6th reward ($1,000+ish?).

12. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never spent a penny on this game and likely never will. The only way I'd consider it is if they'd lift the veil of secrecy over exactly how much it'd take for me to get a 4th reward.

13. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only recently while planning our next trip did I consider buying any chips. Still debating whether or not to do it, but I figure if I spend $50 to get that 4th reward and can offset it with a reward of $50 value, it pays for itself immediately and then gives me that 4th reward on future trips as well. Actually, I wish I'd done that way earlier when I first started playing.

14. Thickskinnedalive

Thickskinnedalive Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly this. Spend $50 to get 2 tickets to a show or a room and it is well worth it. Especially if you only make 1 trip a yr to Vegas or less. Sadly the high quality, high priced rewards are being dropped. I'll enjoy my 2 nights and 2 dinner buffets for 2 this trip. Thx MyVegas

15. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like getting $2k for $0 lol

July 19th - July 24th
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.