1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Staying at Aria. Possible free upgrade? and how much to tip?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by hselland81, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hselland81

hselland81 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me and my brother will be staying at Aria 5-13 March. We had booked a Deluxe King room, (not City View) but have paid $30/night for a upgrade to a Deluxe 2 Queen Bed room with City View..

Do you think the $20 trick at check in will work? We will be arriving at the hotel aprox 7.30 PM (Flight from London arrives 18.30)

I guess that at a hotel like Aria, someone will bring the suitcases to the room? how much is normal to "tip" for that?
    And what is normal to "tip" the Cleaning man/lady when we leave the hotel?

2. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would suggest $2 per suitcase in a hotel like Aria.
    Cleaning lady, $5-$10 per night.

3. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 to $10 a night tip to the maid? That seems NUTS!

The maids in Las Vegas are Union and with benefits get around $32K a year to start on the strip. They are well paid already so unless you feel they do an outstanding service, which I dont, I never leave more than $2.

I stay in hotels about 200 nights a year - currently I'm in Salt Lake City. In most cities housekeepers aren't so generously paid and I do tip better but in my opinion all the hotel workers in Las Vegas are paid way more than what the skills for the job demand. My daughter is a Vet Tech and doesn't make $32K a year.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  4. ERQTraveler

ERQTraveler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a bit dramatic.

I leave $5-10 per night too. I find that the service tends to be better with larger tips. If you want good service, show it by leaving a decent tip. Leave an insulting tip and you'll get insulting service.

Also housekeeping is physically demanding, especially if you must clean lots of dirty rooms. Slobs seem to be prevalent in Vegas.

ERQ

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh here we go again! Perhaps your daughter should move to LV!!! I'm not aware of Las Vegas maids rollin' up to work in Benz's and frankly couldn't care less, I don't follow-'em around and assess their worth to me by their W-2 form. I tip $5 a day because I appreciate the service they provide. I'm a very clean guest, so my room's done pretty quick and I love coming back to a fresh room each and every night! $10 to me would be on the high side, but to "each his/her own". Dealers, bartenders and others you come in contact with earn a helluva lot more than maids and few seem to have concerns when tipping them!

In past threads there are just as many folks who feel a couple bucks is adequate as well. Lots of other VMBers indicate they put the DND sign on the door at the onset of their trip and don't require service, so they leave a small gratuity at the end. With regards to the bellhops bringing the bag(s) to your room I think $2-$5 per bag is the norm, much like skycaps at the airport. I do $5 and I have one-(1) carry-on sized roller bag that I could easily take up with me, but again I appreciate the service, to me it's part of the Vegas "experience". I've seen plenty of old dudes growl, "I've got 'em!!!!!" at the bellboy asking to help, then turning to their spouse and stating, "everyone wants in your pocket in this town!!!" Whatever floats your boat...

6. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can certainly try, I've been shut down twice there over the past few years, and that was during slow season in the middle of the week.

I won't be trying that again.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're gonna leave the maid $2,

keep it and your pride intact.

8. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do have my pride intact. The point is they are already well paid and when they come into my room all that needs to be done is make the bed, change the towels and leave. I'm probably the neatest guest in any hotel. As I walk through Vegas hotels I see how others leave their rooms and if I was leaving dirty clothes, beer bottles and pizza boxes all over the place and it'd take 45 minutes to clean in a Class 3 Biohazard suit I'd leave $10 too. But my room is spotless, towels folded on the tub too.

My cheesy $3 or $4 gets more handwritten thank you notes than you'd ever imagine.

Oh, by the way smartone, I brought my daughter to Las Vegas for her 21st birthday. She hates the place, will never return.

9. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't like fried chicken, there is something seriously wrong with you.

If you don't like Vegas, there is something seriously wrong with you.

10. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, different people have different perceptions regarding tips.
    $5-$10 is not a small amount if you stay 200 nights a year in hotels, but on the other hand,
    it's just one or two spins on a slot machine, it won't bankrupt me or you.
    If we do lose money (we usually do) in our Vegas trips, that's because of bad luck, not because we have tipped too much.

11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh, so now it's $3 or $4, not $2.

and now it's every night, not just at the end of the trip.

with how fast this story is changing, it's hard to keep up.

12. jaybert

jaybert Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $2/night seems reasonable for a standard sized room, more if you have a suite or are a slob. this is generally for hotel rooms, not specific to vegas.

Any tip I'm sure is appreciated by the cleaning staff since I'm guessing the majority of people don't tip. I usually leave it at the end of my stay but should try and remember to leave it each day since it could be different people each day.

When we were in the boulevard suite at PH I'm pretty sure we tipped the cleaning lady close to $200 between the rooms + living area. It got pretty dirty and there may or may not have been a smell in the room we didn't want reported to the hotel.

13. Scottndindy

Scottndindy High-Roller

I can understand leaving a tip if you trash the place or leave it in a condition that requires additional work. I generally only tip in the following situations:
    1) employees earn the minimum tip wage and depend on tips
    2) tips provide me an extra benefit

The cleaning of my room is provided by my paying for the room. If they went up and above then I would be happy to compensate them.

14. jaybert

jaybert Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one is obligated to tip housekeeping but I definitely put housekeeping under #1 above. I don't know what they get paid, but they're definitely not getting rich from it and it's very hard work. I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but it seems like companies are squeezing the housekeepers and require them to clean more and more rooms to save costs. A few bucks a day won't make a difference for me but if every room they cleaned tipped just a couple bucks I imagine it'd make a huge difference for them

15. Brewfangrb

Brewfangrb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then what she makes as a vet tech in whatever town she lives in doesn't seem a reasonable thing to use to compare to what housekeepers make in Vegas. They may be unionized and may make $32k a year but they have tough and demands performance standards for the number of rooms they need to clean, etc.

FWIW (which isn't much), customer service reps (call center) for my employer make $30k to start and all they need is to be friendly, be able to use a computer and have good customer service skills.

I left $15 for my 3 night stay in November and felt bad for not having left the tip each day because maybe the person that cleaned it the last morning never touched my room before. I don't get too worked up what people choose to tip--it's their money. I just thought your "You're NUTS!" reaction was a little tough.

16. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always tip $2-4 per night at any hotel I go. The only exception is if I'm in a large suite since it takes more time to clean these "rooms" than a regular room, which is why I tip $5-10 per night with these rooms. Also whenever I tip, I always write a handwritten thank you note and request a few things (if needed) as well.

I stay at hotels a lot. On average, I stay around 200-275 nights a year at a hotel and since all the tips are in cash it's hard to expense it, which means it's money coming out of my pocket.

17. StormHawk

StormHawk Yuma, where I work in software.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're like the guy who signs the credit card receipt for a $100 dinner check and rounds up to the next dollar as the tip.

18. StormHawk

StormHawk Yuma, where I work in software.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, being so late will likely squash any upgrade chances. I got a tower suite from a comp/discounted regular room last time at aria for $50 tip. 3 nights wed-th-fri.

19. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always know what room I'm getting from a host comp.
    Been there numerous times with friends who pay for their room and the best they ever got was an "upgrade" to a City View higher floor.
    In reality the same room.

Housekeeping are the most undertipped employees in the hotel.
    People that give $2 for every drink for a bartender or CW won't leave anything for housekeeping because they don't see them.
    I leave $5-10/day regular room and $20/day in a suite.

20. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Nevada, they have to get the full minimum wage before tips. So after tips, they hopefully will be in double digits at the minimum. I had a random conversation with an IP housekeeper (where tips probably suck) 3 years ago about the tipping per day thing or all at the end, she said that it didn't matter which way, and also I want to say they might have been paying her $9/hr before tips. She generally seemed satisfied with what she was getting paid.

And yes, not everyone even thinks to tip them. I just spent the night in the Wisconsin Dells w/my g/f's family and left some money behind on the way out. Her dad asked who left this behind?...:grrr: And he's usually pretty good about tipping other people, but I don't think housekeepers are ingrained in his brain. I would guess that $5/day is above average in Vegas though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.