1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

White Castle is getting a little overwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by lionelhutz, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are OK. Essentially just sliders. Very good at 3 AM after a long hard day of drinking, but other than that ehh.

I also dispute the claim of the first White Castle in LV. Back in the day and help me VMB people, the place with the big clown and roller coaster outside, had a White Castle inside. I think that is where belaigio sits now. I've become a downtown guy and killed a lot of brain cells, so not sure on location. i remember the place had one of the worst buffets ever on the 2nd floor.

3. HotDamn

HotDamn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would be The Boardwalk

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! Giant brain fart.

5. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahhh, the Boardwalk!...and that's where Aria and Mandarin Oriental are now. I don't remember a White Castle there but that can be because I think White Castle's sliders taste like dog food. Only bought them once when In college in Worcester, MA. Disgusting.

6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I don't think the Boardwalk had a White Castle either. It had this little grill near the front that made great sliders and cheesesteaks. It was pretty well-known for its sliders so you may be confusing it because of that.

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although if anyone is confusing White Castle with a place that made "great sliders" we may have to talk...

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find all the White Castle threads interesting (and amusing, lol!). How can so much people literally trash it's food offerings yet the place has people mobbing it 24/7?

If the food is not that good what is it that makes it popular? The price, maybe? We don't have White Castles where we live (only grass shacks.....j/k). :poke:

9. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    White Castle is the best. Loved going there at 3:00am to get sliders and a chocolate shake. Sadly there's none where I live now. Going to Vegas in April, will definitely hit it up:)

10. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The once was A place mid strip? that intimated they were selling White Castles (they called them Castle burgers) but they were definitely NOT White Castles, but you could always get White Castle Burgers at Mermaids.

11. PTC Larry

PTC Larry Off We Go

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In St. Louis, the home of the first White Castle, we call them "belly bombers". There is nothing quite like it except for the Krystal burgers in the South. I love 'em and can remember getting 2 burgers and an orange crush for 26 cents at the White Castle near the Railroad station in St. Louis/////If you don't like them, fine, don't knock them.....

12. jack1057

jack1057 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cannot imagine being in Vegas and standing in a two hour line to get a cheap burger

13. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [emoji106] If it's a quick in and out, that's one thing but no way would I wait in line.

14. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Boardwalk had something they called "Castle Burgers" -- their riff on White Castles I guess. The real play for me there, though, was the popcorn shrimp and fries for $2.99. Of course it was terrible, but good drunk food for sure.

15. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep! Me either.

I hate waiting in line when I am not on vacation. But waiting in line for fast food in Vegas? No sir.

16. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes a White Castle or Krystal burger can be a quick in... then out.

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do admit there used to be one circumstance when I semi-enjoyed White Castle. Decades ago. When I was a senior in high school we could legally drink at 18. Most of us took advantage of that privilege on Friday. Back then the burger hangout was a place called Wetsons. Think McDonalds without the food quality! The problem was that they closed before the bars did.

When the bars closed, when we had enough, or when we were asked to leave (it happened a few times) White Castle was there, it was open, there was typically no wait, it was cheap, and they would put up with a bunch of 6-7-8 totally gooned but trying to sober up kids who were still too drunk to be obnoxious.

Let's put it this way, trying to sober up late on a Friday, or rather early on a Saturday, sucks! White Castle made it suck less.

You could get solid food and enough caffeine to come out of it enough to get home safely and hopefully sneak in without waking the 'rents who would have had a total cow had they seen us a couple of hours before! White Castle let you stay an hour or so, they didn't hassle you to buy more or get out, like some places did with kids. (Don't ask me about the occasional "air sick bag!")

Whoever earlier said that WC is best for soaking up alcohol is totally correct!

I haven't had WC for decades and I haven't missed it.

If it's where I am and I'm hungry and in a "what the {f-bomb}" mood, I might do it again. Would I wait on line for it? {expletive} no! :)

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, I will say I am a fan and I don't need alcohol to enjoy them. I end up at WC a couple times a month for sliders for breakfast. I love that they are so flavorful with any added condiments. Its been along time since I've had any "distress" from eating them but I think it was the onion rings and not the burgers themselves. I am hoping they are doing the full menu. If so, their breakfast sandwiches are great and just like something like your mom would make. Also, it looks like Shrimp niibblers are coming back for a Lent special. I am addicted to those things!

19. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The couple that came with me to Vegas on Tuesday this week went to White Castle twice. I never thought to ask how long they had to wait.. The husband was all excited that they sold beer there and had some kind of fancy beer machine that filled a plastic glass from the bottom (they set the plastic cup on the machine, it cut a hole in the bottom, filled up the cup and then resealed the bottom).

I was walking past a TV Wednesday afternoon & it was about how they closed up at 2PM (I think that report said they ran out of food and had to restock). They were open again later Wednesday though; a dealer told me she stopped there Wednesday night.

I didn't have any interest in trying a White Castle burger ("they're not really hamburgers - it's more like a steamed sandwich") so I skipped it. I did eat at In & Out twice though while I was in town since we don't have them where I live.

20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Krispy Kreme? They expanded, the stock shot up like a rocket, then crashed. People want what they can't have. Yuengling beer is another one. It's a cheap brew for college bars to sell for $2 a pint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.