1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How long to pick up airport rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by danielao, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielao

danielao Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Starting to plan some things for my April visit, and that planning includes a car rental and a drive to the Grand Canyon.

Scheduled to land in Vegas just after 10pm. Figure in short flight delays just to be safe, and time to pick up checked bag. So after the shuttle to rentals, what time can I realistically expect to be in a car and ready to go. (Renting with Enterprise if that matters.)

Other questions....

Am I crazy to drive in Las Vegas at night without ever driving in the area before? Or will finding my way from the rental centre to Monte Carlo be no big deal? I'll have my GPS with me.

Am I even crazier to think I can make a solo drive to Grand Canyon at 6:30 or 7am the morning after arriving?

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found that rental pick-up times in Las Vegas are approximate and there's a lot of wiggle room. Enterprise is always good about having most popular vehicle types ready to go.

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once you exit the terminal, it's a 5 min bus ride to the rental center, once there you could be on your way in a few min if you make arrangements ahead. If you have to stand in line at the counter behind 20 morons who have never rented a car before, it could take an hour. If enterprise has a quicklane type program, do that.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enterprise has the machines that you can use even if you are not a member of their club. However, at Enterprise, it seems like it takes longer at the booth in the lot than it takes at the counter or machine.

5. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely join their rental program (with your credit card number in the 'optional' area) and put it on the reservation. It allows you to skip the line inside the rental center. You walk right past the lines and go straight to the parking lot. They'll have your car ready for you.
    If you choose not to do this, then figure about 10-15 minutes per person in line ahead of you. Sometimes it's 1 or 2 people, sometimes it's 15. Consider this your first chance at a lucky hit while in Vegas. :)
    To get to the Monte Carlo, as you exit the car rental garage, you can only make a right turn onto Gillepsie St. At the first light you make another right onto Warm Springs Road and then another right onto Las Vegas Blvd. It's all just right hand turns around the block. Just enjoy the view as you head up Las Vegas Blvd (the Strip) and approach the Monte Carlo.
    Stu

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you will be disappointed with your trip to the Grand Canyon......at least we were.

7. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not too crazy but make sure you review MC's website and program your GPS to accommodate the construction going on behind MC - Check this out:

http://www.montecarlo.com/tools/get-directions.aspx

I would use the Frank Sinatra route.

8. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

That late at night, wouldn't worry so much about traffic, especially if only coming up to South Strip area. Plus, OP is unfamiliar with area and tasking Strip route is easiest.

9. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cheap place I rented from the last time, possibly Payless had a line 10 deep and I stood there waiting at least an hour. That was even with three people at the counter. It was crazy because it seemed as if nobody had ever rented a car before. Meanwhile, the lines at every other rental counter was almost non existent and the people went through quickly. If the difference in a 4 day rental is $5 a day I'll rake the more expensive one and deal with quicker lines.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rent monthly at McCarran and for my own sanity plan on 45 minutes to an hour from touchdown to driving out of the Rental Center. I take a carry-on, but always check it. My experience is that the bags come out relatively quickly at Terminal 1 (Southwest), often times they come out 5-10 minutes after get down there. Then exit door #10, cross the road and the shuttle-busses are in the middle loading. 1 out of every 10-12 trips I might have to wait just a bit, but most times you walk right on to them. 7-8 minutes to the Rental Center... walk right in. I'm National Executive Eilte, so I go right up the escalator to my vehicle (they even have it pulled in front with my name on it... sweet). This is where your experience may differ from mine... if you're not a member of the "club", I suggest you become one (National and Enterprise are owned by the same people). Do whatever you have to in order to avoid the counter... I feel so bad for folks who've gotten off 4-5 hours flights only to go stand in the lines to get a car and go stand in long lines to check-in. My pet peeves are lines and I do whatever I can ahead of time to avoid them.

As you exit the Rental Center you'll be turning right onto Gillespie, then take your first right onto Warm Springs, then take the first stoplight right onto Las Vegas Blvd. If you forget this, just follow the other cars... that's where 90% of them are going!!! Your whole trip up to MC will be short, very well lit and well marked. You'll do fine! Have a BLAST!

11. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much time at the Rental Center? I've seen long lines there, but I never stood in one. I rent at thrifty, use a 15 year old club number from my employment, from which I have been retired from for 6 years. Walk in, walk to the garage, look at the board, go to the stall number, get in the car, drive out, stop at the attendant give ID, sign the paperwork, turn right, turn right, turn right, and I am on the strip. Join there club, get the perks.

As far as driving in Vegas, it's not magic, experience helps, after years of doing it, I still find that it Helps to plan ahead, go on Google earth, map view and street view, check out the Valets, take virtual rides around. There's a lot of Vegas out there that isn't on the strip or downtown.

Drive to the Grand Canyon? - Waste of time - Take a helicopter trip, watch Groupon. See the dam, and the grand Canyon in a few hours

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.