1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip Reports wanted: Dead or Alive!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love trip reports. My favorite forum on this board. Lately there seems to be an abundance of "live" trip reports. Which is great since many of the members enjoy live trip reports. Especially when it's accompanied by pics.

I must confess that as much as I like reading these types of reports, I still look forward to the "conventional" type of reports that are submitted after the trip. These reports are like reading mini-novels, and it's easier to refer to parts of it if you need to stop for any reason. The subject matter seems to flow smoother imho.

"Live" reports are like wild roller coasters, lol!! It's like a crazy ride and you feel like you are right there with the poster. I think this is why these reports are so much fun and popular with the board. I admire those who commit to this type of report because it requires a lot of work. The only minor down side to this is when I need to catch up to the antics of the poster.

But I still like the conventional ones. Those written with humor, reflection, sadness, and ecstasy. Pair it with pictures and I'm a happy camper! Some of you are wonderful at doing this. But ALL of you who contribute trip reports are appreciated and respected.

So what about you? What do you like in trip reports? Do you like live ones or the conventional ones? Why do you like these particular reports?

Those who submit or are thinking of submitting live reports I look forward to reading them! Don't stop! I enjoy them immensely.

Those who submit conventional ones, don't feel it won't be read because of the popularity of the live ones. I'm sure there are many on the board that still appreciate these types of reports.

Whatever it is, let's all contribute trip reports! We should make it a requirement, lol! :beer:

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, I also think these are among the most valuable info. on the boards. I have gotten a lot of ideas from reading these.

3. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy reading the trip reports and also enjoy writing my own as well, going to try and put some pictures on the next one.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta say I prefer a conventional TR after the trip. I usually just skip the "lives" because I never know when it's over and I like reading the entire report at one time.

But hey, whatever your preference, keep posting those TRs.

5. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like conventional trip reports myself. I like the long, detailed ones with pictures, so that is what I try to post myself. Honestly, trip reports are the only reason I frequent this board.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you folks on the conventional trip reports as well... unless it's a BeeeJay or Pay Triple deal, then I LOVE tuning in as it goes along, cause you just KNOW so much is going on!!!! The trip reports ARE the #1 part of the board I enjoy.

7. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think both types have their place.

The live ones are exciting and make you feel like you are right there with the OP. The problem with live TRs, IMO, is that they are only good if they're frequently updated. Unfortunately, if they are frequently updated, they tend to get very long (with folks sending encouragement to the OP etc). And unless you are following along almost in real time, it's easy to lose track of where you left off in the OP's "story".

But that's really a very minor complaint. As far as TRs go, I'll take them however I can get them. :thumbsup:

8. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having done both types of TR now, I like including the details in a conventional TR that are missing in a live TR, but as others have said, there is a visceral thrill in allowing others to tag along on a live TR.
    I did a delayed/simulated live TR for my Halloween trip, which allowed me to describe nuances and yet simulate the real-time experience. I think that is what I will do in the future. Unfortunately, my recent TR was shutdown due to a few assholes posting negative comments, so I didn't get to post the Orifice 3 and cucumber pics, but I'll make sure that people who want to see them get to do so.

9. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy the conventional trip reports too and especially those with pictures. I like to hear and see about the things people have done, the places they ate and all the other fun stuff they came across. Short live trip reports are enjoyable too but I tend to lose track of them after a couple days.

We're heading to Vegas in a couple hours for our first week long trip and since I got a new camera for Christmas, hopefully I'll have something to post in a week or 2. Funny story about the camera, I took my daughter with me when I was looking for the perfect small camera to fit in my Vegas purse (I don't carry a phone/camera). The sales clerk asked me what kind of pictures I'd be mainly using it for and I was just praying that my daughter didn't pipe up with "she wants it for pictures of winning video poker hands in Vegas". I would have been so embarrassed! Luckily, she kept my degeneracy a secret.

I enjoyed reading Wildride's latest trip report. He had some different pictures from the norm. I also find it much easier to do a report when I'm home if I have lots of pictures to remind me what happened.

10. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like both of them and I think some people are better at live ones and some are better at conventional ones. But I love reading them. I enjoy the travel parts and the pre-trip info just as much as I do the action while in Vegas

For my March trip I will be doing a semi-live one with a full wrap when I return. I like using a live report as a virtual notebook and then I can use that to reflect upon when I return. Additionally I will be able to elaborate on the brief posts when I get back.

11. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love reading the live ones but I could never do it. I commend those that can. I usually post 1 trip report for every 6 or so trips. I tend to do the same things - gamble, eat, hookers every single time so I don't want to bore people. Except for the individually surrealistic things that happen each trip, mine all read the same.

12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plan on doing another conventional report later next month. I'm running around too much when I am there. No way I could do it live with my itinerary.

13. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's how I feel about mine. I worry they are repetitive and will get boring

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  14. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy the live reports myself.

I like it when the conventional ones are broken up or have photos in them. I dunno when I click on a TR and see a ton of text I kinda shut down in reading it unless there is a hook in the beginning.

My first TR I did live but at the end of it I did a full summary to fill in the gaps that I missed when I did it live, I dunno if this is best or not, but it was good for me to journal my trip after. I am not sure if that is the "best method".

15. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorites are the conventional ones.

I tend to do both, a live update-snippet kind of thing... and a full report one later.[​IMG]

17. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like any photo-heavy report!

I like the conventional ones a bit more. they feel more polished, and I'm less nervous for the writer if they are on a downswing. But the live reports often have photos that are less than perfect, yet capture the vibe of Las Vegas. Those little gems might be edited out after a week or two back home.

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  18. crapsguy5000

crapsguy5000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone should love me next month. I'll submit a conventional report with pics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.