1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mariah Carey Announces Residency at Caesars Palace Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by NASH, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NASH

NASH Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diva Las Vegas?

Mariah Carey will be the next songstress to perform in Las Vegas as an artist in residence, joining the ranks of Celine Dion, Cher and Britney Spears, she announced on The Ellen DeGeneres Show Thursday.

Carey has signed a deal to perform all 18 of her No. 1 songs at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace. The show is expected to include all of her chart-toppers – from her first hit, "Vision of Love," to the most recent, "Touch My Body."

"I have to hope that the fans will enjoy this, because I'm going to be performing, which was kind of inspired by my album Number 1's," the newly single singer told Ellen DeGeneres with a smile. "Hopefully, other people will enjoy this. I've never done this before."

The payday for a Vegas residency can be astronomical. Spears, who was considered a gamble when she was first signed, was reportedly paid $30 million to extend her "Piece of Me" residency until 2017. Dion was reportedly earning $476,000 per show until she postponed her tour to care for husband René Angélil, who has battled ongoing health issues.

Carey's tenure kicks off on May 6. Tickets are on sale now.

2. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is a big Meh for me...

3. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. Who cares? Good job Loveman.

4. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its great news i was a huge MIMi fan in the 90's early 2000's

On tour she never plays old hits like love takes time, i dont wanna cry cause she mentionned she hated those early day songs, but now he has to peform them since the gimmick for the sow is 18 #1 hits performed live

She has 3 different VIP packages, one with after show picture and anotehr one with after show picture + going on stage during the show

I have seen all the shows i have wanted to see in Vegas so thats a new one for me

5. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She's a self-absorbed witch. My son had a first-hand encounter with her when he was "in character" at WDW. I'll pass, too.

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yawn. I hope they have good insurance...

7. Mooda

Mooda Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be more interested in a one on one with Gary Loveman discussing how he keeps his job.

8. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While her vocals are not the same, her vocals to me were second only to my beloved Whitney Houston. I am ecstatic.

9. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  10. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are fans and there are not fans. Nothing new.

While Celine's voice has withstood the test of time far better (and since childhood I have literally placed her in my top three voices with MC and WH--having intended to see her this May), I will still say that in "levels" (there are levels to this), there is no person alive with greater star power for their legendary prowess vocally (however past) than MC. The fact is that she is legendary. And I think they have chosen no person better to fill the shoes of Celine for that reason.

On a side note, MC has been a diva and been called a diva since God knows when. Nothing new. Her voice is out, she gained weight, her ex has destroyed her image by calling her crazy, she is going through a divorce, she is fighting for custody of her kids, she has *two* kids that she's taking care of, her sales are down (in music almost everyone's sales are down), she had that poor stint as a judge in AI and who knows whatever else. She would not be the first or the last to hold up fans for hours just this week. It's an awful trend in some concerts. In fact, every concert I have been to in recent years has started hours later. Yes, towards the end of my lovely's life WH, her voice had gone out (and all other problems) but that did not take away from the queen that she was. That would not have stopped me from seeing her...but I never got a chance to. I wouldn't take away from the fact that MC's behavior is below par for her stature but I applaud her for keeping moving forward. In her shoes, any natural person would be falling apart. Apparently she intends to keep shining. That's a diva. Love it or leave it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you 100%. When Mariah's on her game, few can touch her... She signed for a two-(2) year deal at 54 shows (9 at a time). It has been some time since I've heard her "on her game", though and I hope somewhere inside that voice or some semblance of it will reappear.

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People think MC is off balance soley based on her behavoir. Nick Cannon has done little to damage her image. She has a developed a rep for not exactly being professional. And if we are being completely honest, the high notes were more of a parlor trick than a true part of her natural range. At the end of the day, she hasn't made a good single in a long tine and that's what's going to hurt at the end of the day,

13. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am hoping she shines really smartone.

haha thanks sam!

14. ncfatcat

ncfatcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally I'd just as soon see Olivia Newton-John

15. troyzilla

troyzilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I'll check out Mariah's show I was hoping the Janet Jackson rumour would've come true.

16. judy

judy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MC has legions of fans and always will. She will sell the tickets and her FANS won't care :)love:love is " blind") what she sounds like! I once said I thought she wasn't that great and was corrected about her many octave voice which few possess. No one mentioned other crooners' voices such as Sinatra's voice (which I heard in person in the late 70's)--- which dwindled as age took its toll. We can trash her weight and her less than perfect voice lately when filmed and her troubled personal life but Mimi's got star power and that sells tickets. For my money, I would love to see Cher again, that was a fantastic show at the Coliseum second only to Queen Celine.

2024’s Second Trip
  17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I certainly understand there are people who are not fans, can we keep the insults and hating down to a low roar and let fans talk about her new residency? Thanks!

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't we all just get along?!?

What we all consider talent can be highly subjective. But as pointed out above, someone can be scraping the bottom of the barrel -- Willie's sad last days as a Met, for instance -- and still be loved by fans. (Jimmy Buffett, anyone?) It matters not that MC no longer appears to have the chops, or that she's a basket case, or if she's had too many donuts; if you like here you LIKE her and if not, then fine.

Sam, nice to see you back. Sorry you felt you needed to delete your critique of the show. Some people are just too sensitive when they think their sacred ox is being gored.

19. Universal

Universal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be an absolute disaster. Her voice left her long ago.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the video Sam posted on TMZ he other night... and folks... even I can't put a positive spin on it!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.