1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Racking up Southwest RR points for Vegas flights by shopping

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by vwhiten, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only fly twice a year - to vegas. So I do not rack up enough points traveling. I started shopping through Southwest Rapid Rewards about three years ago -- I usually have enough to pay for all of my flight. It only makes sense if you are already shopping on line -- My favorite stores where I can rack up points is Groupon, Bed Bath and Beyond (I buy my coffee for my Keurig Vue from them -- they do not sell it in my little town) Drugstore.com - I buy detergent, shampoo, etc from them and get free shipping. Sears, K-mart, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot -- I bought an expensive sink from Home Depot on line - $600 sink plus got 2 points per dollar on my RR -- plus I just drove to the store to pick it up and it was waiting for me. I do the majority of Christmas and Birthday shopping on Southwest RR. I don't buy things just to get points, but if I am going to buy something I always look thought Southwest first.

There is always a good special on points with flowers on Valentine's and Mother's Day - if you already send flowers may as well rack up the points -- last year on Mother's day I think it was around 10 points per dollar on one of the florists that was a RR partner. I just discovered that nomorerack.com is a partner and that is one of my favorite sites.

I also signed up to do the e-rewards surveys(on line) I usually get about 3-5 surveys a week -- many times I don't qualify and they give me .25 for just answering one or two questions. After I get about $25 in my account I can cash it in on Southwest points -- 600 points. I usually have enough to do this every other month.

2. mcander

mcander Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do exactly the same thing.I buy most things online and look for big ticket items that offer multiple points.I bought washer,dryer,grill and Omaha
    steaks. Of course pay off the card monthly.Sometimes you can find car rentals and hotels in Vegas that have extra points attached.The key is to buy
    online rather than using the card directly.Many times the SW plane ticket price is cheaper one way.Just using the points on the higher price saves
    money.We are on the the same page,vw.

3. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You get 600 points per stay at Mlife hotels. Also, 2 points per dollar spent there if you pay with the southwest card.

4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a dishwasher and microwave online last year too from Sears - we remodeled our kitchen. I have about 5700 points right now and I used all my points back in December - I should have enough on our next trip to pay for my flight and hopefully I can start racking up points on the husband's too. I stayed back in December at Luxor and Bellagio and forgot to check in with my rapid rewards number. I emailed Bellagio and the customer service rep got back to me and said they would turn it in -- never got credit -- could kick myself for not doing that from the start.

5. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can still get credit. Direct form Mlife... "Members may request past credits up to 6 months prior to check out. Please contact M life Member Services at [email protected] or 866.761.7111 and provide your full name, home address, property visited, dates of stay, M life number and Rapid Rewards account number." I did this through email over the summer and had no issues getting credit.

Anyone ever get credit for comped stays?

6. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were the person who told me how to get the 600 point credit retroactively in another thread. Thanks again! I ended up submitting my last few stays and they credited all of them except for the comped ones.

7. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No prob. Thanks for answering my question about the comped stays. :beer:

8. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check your utility companies. Some take credit cards and don't charge much to do it.
    Someone told me they paid their mortgage with a credit card. My kid's college use to take credit card for tuition for nothing, now they are charging 3% to take a credit card. That's not worth it.
    The point is always ask everyone if they take credit card for free.

9. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you send flowers for Valentine's Day Rapid rewards is offering 1750 points for 1800flowers. I took advantage if this last year for a birthday that is just after feb 14. Sherries berries is also on rapid rewards shopping 7 points for every dollar and Groupon is offering 6 points for every dollar. That is double what they normally give. Val

10. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    !I use my card all the time but not as well as you! Thanks for the tips!

11. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One other real FRUGAL tip to get FREE SWA points is join e-Rewards and take the surveys they give you. You get $$ amounts into your account to buy SWA Rapid Reward points.......$25= 600 points, $50=1200 points, etc........you can also use your account money for other things. Over the years I have racked up THOUSANDS of points for SWA and have at least had one free round trip to Vegas.

Over time you will learn how to play this game to your advantage. Here's the link you need to get started.

http://www.e-rewards.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.