1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Revere Golf Club

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by klawrey, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking for any input on Revere Golf Club. Coming out at the end of March with my brother and we want to get a couple rounds in but don't rent cars because we simply drink too much. Booked 36 holes at Revere, one round on each course for a Thursday and Friday in March plus transportation from strip hotel for $250 a person so $125 a round with transportation.

I am a scratch player and my brother is about a 15-16 handicap. What should we expect? Conditions? Service? Scenery?

Let me say thank you in advance.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're getting both in so that's cool. I think most have a decided fave out there so you can find yours. Nice spot, some great outward views, one of the best watering holes in public golf in town. I still wish Troon was running it. Have fun!

Caveat -- many of the pictures you see of the course show the early build conditions many many years ago before houses lined every ridge. Doesn't impact play but always been one of those marketing bullshit things I hate.

3. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played Concord a few years ago. The course was in good condition (not great). I really enjoyed the views. Most of the holes play through valleys with homes on the hill tops on either side (as Ken mentioned). The way the course is designed running through the Valley's has two advantages for a high handicap player, such as myself (18 handicap). 1 - If it is windy, the hills and homes substantially block the wind and 2 - since the holes run through valleys, hooks and slices off the tee will generally land on the side hill slope and roll back down towards the fairway.

I've never played the Lexington course, but I believe that is the more difficult and more well regarded course.

My Longest Trip Ever
  4. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well my brother and I love a good watering hole so that is a plus. I am currently studying for the February bar exam so I can't wait to get out of study and exam mode and play some golf and enjoy some brews and a good cigar.

Houses are not deterrent to me but I agree the marketing bullshit is stupid since that is not how it looks now. I had noticed the houses on the aerial view and it makes sense as development = $$$. But as you always mention Ken if the bones are there then that's what matters. Looks like a solid couple of tracks with some interesting holes and surely a change of pace from the parkland style courses that are a dime a dozen here in Michigan.

Can you speak at all to the conditions? I have read a few reviews knocking the condition but the consensus seems to be that its a pretty well maintained track.

5. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thankfully I keep it on line most of the time but my brother will surely enjoy the benefit of the valleys on the holes unless he of course just sends one into a backyard or living room lol.

You say the conditions were good not great. What time of year did you play if you remember? Also, in terms of good it's so subjective but were there any "bad" conditions like dead spots on greens, burnt fairways, torn up tee boxes?

Thanks again for your input.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lex has more in the way of crossing hazards and cranky margins, and it is more interesting.

If I haven't seen a course w/i the last three months or so I tend not to comment on conditioning. Just no way to do that. Now some courses have notorious reps, some don't. I never encountered questionable conditioning at Revere over the years playing each course multiple times, but I always noted when Troon was in the house, things were at their peak, as I find in general for Troon-run props over others.

7. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's fair not to make comments if you haven't seen it in a few months. Good to hear you have never encountered questionable conditioning there and that it doesn't seem to have a bad rep. Not to mention most online reviews I've read must be taken with a grain salt because people love to get online and complain about experiences more than they do to praise an experience.

From my looks, it looks like an interesting facility and in solid condition. My brother will love the newly installed GPS systems as of last July since he refuses to buy a laser. I will take advantage of the GPS for the sake of seeing the layout of the holes and planning my course of attack to hopefully more birdies than bogeys! And you can't beat $125 a round including roundtrip transportation so I can take advantage of the on-site water hole.

One good thing about Vegas is that I don't have to worry too much about the weather! Is it March yet?

One other question you may be able to answer Ken is the conditioning of Vegas courses in general around the end of March? I spent some time in Florida and I know the courses started to get their color and lushness back about late-February/early-March. I'm assuming Vegas is pretty similar and should be relatively green by the time I arrive at the end of March?

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never questionable, but I didn't say Shadow-like. lol

Again, really a subjective thing. For courses that don't overseed, spring -- but when that is is never certain because for Vegas' reputation with people who live in cold-weather climes, winter isn't exactly Left Coast-like -- brings new life. That's generally a good thing. For places that overseed, conditions should be pretty bueno. Revere overseeds.

I've gone to a Garmin GPS watch. Love it.

Friday afternoon hooky ... heading out to La Purisima in a few!!

9. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We played Concord in December and the course was in good shape. I thought the fairways were nice and lush but the rough was rough; but, if you hit the rough you could roll onto the fairway as it seems designed that way on most holes. It is quite hilly and I found the greens faster than I'm used to. We played with a long time member and he was a ton of fun and he gave us tips on what we should be aiming for on some holes as you cannot see exactly where the hole location is. The service was friendly and we saw the cart at least twice a 9, she was definitely doing her job. I am a 16 and DH a 6 and we both enjoyed the challenges of the course, he played golds and I played from the silver. I wish I could tell you the scenery was fantastic but we golfed it in December when Vegas was inundated with fog, so we couldn't see much of the surroundings at all.

10. RichL58

RichL58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played both courses on the same day last March, played Lexington first and it was a perfect day and in excellent condition enjoyed the round. Had a little lunch, then played Concord. Lots of brown grass on this course, was told it's a different kind of grass. Also the winds picked up in the afternoon, so that could be a reason why I might not have enjoyed it as much.
    From Chicago, and after last winter, it was just great to be out in the sun. Great view from the 19th hole also.

11. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha well Shadow is in a distinct class out there with the likes of Cascata, Wynn and probably Jack's new one out in Coyote Springs. One of these days, hopefully once I pass the bar exam here in Michigan, I'll be able to afford the $500 a pop at Shadow Creek and not feel bad about it.

I'm not one that is overly concerned with pristine as much as I am with solid and consistent with more importance on consistency than anything.

As for the watch, my dad has one and he loves it. I love the freedom of the laser to tag trees, lips of bunkers, etc.

Enjoy, your round! It's 33 and about 3 inches of snow on the ground here in Michigan. I'm back to studying. Torts and Criminal Law are on the docket for the evening. What a Friday!

12. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    played Lexington last summer, and enjoyed the round. Make sure to play the tees / length that will make it enjoyable for you. Some target golf involved on the Lex course, reminded me of some Arizona courses. some target fairways, and some 2nd shots on Par 5's where you have to go over / around random rock outcroppings. Some course management involved if you are looking to score well. Overall I felt it was a good test.

13. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That'd be the "big boy" tees. See it only tops out at 7100 or so which puts it around pretty average for me. I'm a scratch player, with lots of competitive experience at the college and amateur level. My brother may play one tee up so I may join him for convenience as I'm just there to drink beer and smoke my cigar. Which will be fun for me because the ball already flies for days in that dry, desert air. Lots of wedges and short irons mean lots of scoring chances which should mean lots of fun!

I'm a big believer in the game still having to be played regardless of the tees you play. I hear too many people say "oh you only played 6500 yards?" and I just laugh because you still have to get that damned ball in the hole. I've shot a 64 from 7300 yards and I've shot plenty of 80s on 6600 yards.

I'm looking forward to it. I hope it is like Arizona as I have fond memories of a Junior College National Championship I played in, in Goodyear, Arizona!

14. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got back from a golf trip the week before Christmas. I got to play Cascata, Revere (Concord), Boulder Creek and Bali Hai.

Conditioning on all courses was excellent (especially Cascata).

I am a 4 handicap, however, don't have the same length as many others that range (scoring around greens - short game is my equalizer).

As far as Revere goes, the service was excellent - very cordial and professional. I had booked a golfnow.com or teeoff.com time a few days ahead for about $30 on Concord. I had played on Lexington a few years back (in February), and enjoyed it more than Concord. There are some silly design features on Concord, since playing in a valley and housing had limited some routing. The forced carries on both courses is not too severe, since most are contoured for easy fairway return. It was busy both times I played, however on Concord I played the first 5 holes really slow, then simply drove the cart to hole 10 to pass the slow moving groups (solo). Then went back to finish them after 18. There are some severe elevation changes on both sides, and some positioning is important if you want a level lie.

Conditioning - on Concord, fairways were very green and playable. Greens (the most important part of any golf experience) were in great shape (for December), with few pitch marks to affect roll.

I played Gold (about 6500 yards), and had very reasonable approach shots - generally 8 iron vicinity) - and ALL par 5's are reachable for me even!!

You will enjoy the day and feel that conditioning should not be an issue - it has been an excellent winter in Vegas this year - with courses all over the valley in the 'best shape ever' - as quoted by many of the pro shop staff. They even had to cut fairways (dormant yellow Bermuda in rough in Revere) and greens more than a couple times a week - yup, they don't cut ever day for lack of growth. Bali Hai and Cascata cut every day - whether they need to or not - to justify the high price and to keep the alternating cut line striping going.

If you have any questions - just ask. I've been golfing in the Vegas area for years and share Ken's vision on almost all the courses!!

- - - Updated - - -

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, Concord has some head-scratcher holes, indeed.

16. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed playing concord a few years back, we got paired with Jonathan Ogden so that was kind of a treat

17. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in the same boat as you but golfing there in late April... Lots of good input so hopefully it's a decent track for all of us or I'll have to book some place else. Hope you and your brother have a good time!

Annual Golf Trip
  18. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be sure to report back after my trip! Sounds like it should be a nice place and a good time and worst case, a few beers make anything acceptable! :beer:

19. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear that and enjoy! :beer:

Annual Golf Trip
  20. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone over at Greenskeeper.org just posted a pretty lengthy (mixed) review of Lexington. Hopefully the rock hard greens will soften by your trip in March, klawrey.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.