1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Publius, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I was going through my mail and I got my renewal for my car insurance. The rate went up by a lot and I had no idea why. No claims ever, no tickets, nothing. Just that it went up.

I finally got fed up and switched to GEICO. Anybody have any experience with them?

FlightSimExpo 2024
  2. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, they are good. Except my rates are really high I feel. I have been with them for 6 years and i feel like im getting raped. I was in an accident about 4 years ago and I guess its hit or miss because you deal with your local geico office but I can not say anything bad about the claim process. Once they approved the claim I was sent to an adjuster with my body shop's estimate and I was wrote a check right there. If im not mistaken the check was in my name. I thought it was going to be a painful process.

I've thought about switching simply for better rates but I did just that a few years back with progressive. Got an awesome rate, but then 30days in they sent me a letter saying blah blah blah we made a mistake and your new rate is.......alot more then we quoted! so I went back to geico. I want to switch again but I dont want the same thing to happen.

Keep inmind some of the methods used to calculate rate is your credit score and also based on your state or township...like they take data from recent accidents, etc I think.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had Geico for ~4 years when I lived in DC and then moved to NC - I switched insurance once I got engaged as I got a better rate on my auto insurance combined with my house insurance (with Geico, I had car and rental insurance). My license plates were stolen in DC and my car was broken into once. Can't remember if there was anything else I had to deal with Geico over - I do remember going to one of their offices in MD one day - maybe it was for windshield chip? I never had any problems, but I never really had any problematic claims that could have caused problems, I guess.

I have Erie now.

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that is SOP for Progressive....#flosucksthebigone

5. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had insurance at one of the traditional places and out of nowhere my rate almost doubled...no tickets, accidents etc......screw this. I switched over to Geico at a great rate and have been there about 4 years.

6. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GEICO all the way. I had progressive and they tried to double my rates almost after 6 months. No tickets, accidents or anything. GEICOs commercials don't annoy the hell out of me either.

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Living in Houston I saw my rates jump up by a ton when I moved here several years ago. I was originally with Nationwide and dropped them for State Farm for a brief time and then finally settled in with USAA, whom I love to death.

My USAA rates held firm for awhile and then they went up - I called and asked why and they said that the Harris County rates increased and if I wanted them to drop I should take a defensive driving course.

I haven't had a speeding ticket in 15 years but have had three claims in the last seven (accident [no fault], truck was stolen and then wheels and tires stolen from the new truck - but those were more than four years ago).

My comment to the agent was "the only benefit of getting older is that the insurance is supposed to get cheaper!"...but I stayed with USAA because they are really that good.

Just got my renewal and the rates dropped by $40 a month...must be because I turned 35

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only experience I had with GEICO was because the drivers of the 2 accidents I got into (both not my fault) had GEICO. They sent me to their prescribed auto shops to get estimates of my damage. The appraisers were very good, gave me a terrific quotes for my damage and wrote up a check on the spot. One appraiser said that people who had trouble with insurance or getting insurance (because of accidents and other things) were able to get insurance from GEICO and was of the opinion that many GEICO customers weren't really safe drivers (higher percentage than drivers with other insurance).

I was lucky, one driver hit me and caused a crack on my front light. It was small but the appraiser gave me a few grand, he said it was because they have to replace the whole light assembly. I checked with the place that I get safety checks, he said that it still passed so I just cashed the check and never fixed the light.

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1, great company great insurance, been with them over 20+ years

10. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had GEICO forever. I got a DUI in 2007 and switched to Progressive for a few years and then switched back. No tickets or accidents.

I feel like my insurance rates are super low. I think I pay around $240ish for 6 months of coverage for an 06 BMW Z4 fully loaded.

And, my coverage is 100/300, not the crappy 25/50/25 they push on you at lower rates.

11. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out Allstate, I switched to them ten years ago and saved a ton

12. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen...I have them for just about everything possible. Their customer service is fantastic.

$240 for 6mo or $240 per month for 6mo?

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had the same problems with Progressive raising rates steeply after the first six months. I used to switch between them and AAA but now I won't fool with them. Actually, the last time I shopped for a new insurance company, there were a few quotes that had fine print stating that they had some sort of lower rate for new policies and Progressive was one of them.

14. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the entire 6 months.

15. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn that is pretty good...excellent actually. Especially with the upped coverages!

Product of living in Harris County TX?

35yrs old
    great credit
    no major issues in years
    no moving violations since I was 21
    $150 per month on a 2010 F150 FX4 with the same coverages and $250 deductibles

And that is a cheap rate! Before I switched to USAA it was closer to $200

16. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jeez. That's unbelievable!

17. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep!!

When I lived in central Texas (north of Austin) during HS and a couple years after I had nothing but 5.0 Mustangs....never paid more than $100 in full coverage as a 17-21yr old kid with some pretty fast rides and the tickets and exhibition of acceleration tickets to go along with it.

Moved back to Philly and the rates went up a tad bit.

Moved here and got hammered. But then again this city is rife with uninsured motorists and theft. Like I said before my old 05 F150 was stolen from my YMCA parking lot in broad daylight (used to shuttle people across the border - fuckers found it the day before it was going to be considered a total loss! Oh lucky me). I kept it for a year after the theft and then bought the 2010 brand new...two weeks later still with paper plates...on blocks because apparently stock truck rims (the 20's) are in demand.

Houston :Þ

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nationwide here. No major issues. No escalating rate.

Reasonably good driving record.

I was a victim of a hit and run a while back, they paid with no hassle.

19. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have had Amica Insurance for over 40 years (yikes - ok, I started with them when I was 16 years old...lol) I actually worked for them for about 7 years. They have always been great with any claims we have had.

Every once in awhile my husband complains about the cost, so we look around - but have never found anything cheaper. My two sons switched to GEICO, but I have been worried about how they were with claims. Nice to know they are easy to work with too! Next time my husband complains, I will check them out...lol

20. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had Allstate and they just kept creeping up and up,would call them and then they would lower and then start raising rates again.No accidents or tickets. Checked in with AAA prices got same coverage half the price. Called our agent and they could not match it,so we said adios and then switched our homeowners over also(a lot cheaper,more coverage)Then on the tube last night was a blip about Allstate basing their prices on your shopping habits and raising their prices on older loyal customers as they are less likely to switch carriers. Which is illegal in AZ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.