1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Sale

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Blatz, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a heads up, SWA is having a sale, don't forget to check and see if your flight price has been discounted. I was just able to get an $80.00 credit for my next flight by rebooking at the sale prices from AUS to LAS. I'm watching the Lions/Cowboys game, caught the commercial and thought I'd check.

Happy hunting!

2. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never see those sale prices on my route

3. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was actually surprised to see my flights discounted, especially since they are under 21 days away.

4. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing!

Annual Golf Trip
  5. mganut

mganut Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info!

6. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no love for BUF-LAS:(

this route has been stuck @ 200 each way for a while now with no major discounts since early fall

7. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the exact price and lack of love from CMH to LAS since fall.

8. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed southwest fares are high out of CMH, plus the direct flight options have fallen off overs the years as well from twice/day to one direct or zero directs/day some times. It's making me consider giving up my southwest credit card. Still the flights are always packed.

9. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SouthWest is high out of Cleveland as well. I keep getting sales emails and check to find out the best rate is $150 each way. It's cheaper on other carriers almost every instance now. For dates I was looking at feb/March southwest was almost $400 while two others were at $250 or less andepending spirit at $150.

10. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not quite true bobby! 3 weeks ago I did buf to las mar 18 -25 for 209 each way (non stop both ways). Just rebooked my 3/25 flight for 179, with the savings basically paying for my early bird! The swa person on the phone actually did it for me, rebooked and saved, while I held on the phone.

11. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup that's what's going on down here in Columbus. American and United dipped to $168 each was and SWA is sitting on $200 each way. I'm holding out because I''m hard headed and have never payed that much on any airline out of Columbus to Vegas. GO Browns

12. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, I see some $179's on there now! I swear when I checked the other day there were none. Now, will we see the $139s again????

13. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure what the Buffalo market is like, but I've never paid more than $250 round trip to Vegas at any point in the last 20 years. Most often it has been $200 or below with the occasional $229. (and this is out of Cleveland) Of course, I do search for dates that people don't travel much. Like before March Madness, right after New Year, etc. In fact if one of my friends was to go with me next month it would have cost us each less than $200 total between airfare and our stay at the Monte Carlo.

Anyway, with the departure of Continental as the company who took up our main hub, companies like Southwest have just raised prices. (it is also cheaper at times to drive to Pittsburgh for a flight to Vegas, even factoring in gas money,) In the past, tickets were over $150 cheaper out of Pittsburgh than the same company flying out of CLE. And they wonder why people book hidden city tickets...

14. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW would normally have a great deal out of Buffalo every so often close to Cleveland prices but, I have never seen it go to @200 rtn. It would be nice if Spirit or Allegiant came in to shake things up a bit. At this point with our canuck dollar falling faster than the price of oil, the price difference between YYZ and BUF is neglible. Buffalo is still my preferred departure point as I am half way in between and Pearson parking, security and customs is a bit more of a hassle than Buf. The drive to Cleveland is just a little too far to justify. I could probably justify flying to Detroit better than Cleveland.

15. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years ago, I tried the "fly out of Cleveland" ( and actually Cleveland is slightly cheaper now at 177 each way versus 209/179) once, and Rochester too. Took the greyhound to Cleveland and then cab to airport. Total savings about $45.00. I flew back to buffalo on the return. I had to convince myself it was a great idea. It wasn't. In the end, 4 hours of bus riding just wasn't quite the great idea I had hoped it would be.

3 years ago I drove to Rochester to save some $$ (and actually Rochester has a better fare, right now, $171 both ways versus $209/179 each way although neither Roc flight is non-stop). I figured an hour ride to save $60.00 total ( $105 - $45 for parking a week) was a great idea. However (and I'm sure that others can identify), once I arrived back in Rochester I was faced with driving home after basically doing an all-nighter my last day in Vegas (sound familiar??). And I am sure that others usually do the same on their last night in Vegas. Toughest ride I've had to do in years. Girlfriend slept the most of the way back even with me begging her to stay awake to help me stay awake ( I really couldn't be mad at her either, she tried). For now...Non stop for Buffalo to Las means a 11 min ride from my house (Canisius College area), 1 of my grown children drop me/us off ( I usually go to Vegas 2/3 days ahead of the wife so I can get 2/4 days of uninterrupted poker in). And when I get to Vegas its dollar car rental for "hopefully" under $200.00 a week.

I gotta admit, overall its hard to beat Southwest airlines. Plus I always do the early bird just so I don't have to remember to check in on line so that I "hopefully" have a shot at the 1 seat on the plane that I love (directly behind the emergency row with no seat in front of you!). I'm 3/4 on my last 2 trips August and march of last year, of getting that seat!

And if you have seen their latest commercial, you gotta love the intern "Larry" with the Starbucks coffee!!

16. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live south of Rochester but my sister-in-law likes the SWA non-stop flights from Buffalo to Las Vegas. If I am meeting her there, I book her on the non-stop from Buffalo but if we are flying together, we fly in/out or Rochester. I can't justify having someone drive us 3 hours total each time to drop off/pick up from the airport. The gas alone eats up any savings we get.

One year I lucked out flying United. Flight was cancelled so they apologized and said they could get me on a flight to Rochester rather than Buffalo - awesome! Of course, my luggage had to catch up with me a few days later.....lol

I did just take advantage of this sale - ROC - PHX - LAS - ROC - $411 total! Unfortunately, my sister-in-laws flight will cost a little over $400 RT BUF-LAS-ROC

17. willywilkes

willywilkes Low-Roller

I like the nonstop Buf-Las route too and I am pretty sure SW is the only non-stop option- I think the lack of competition is what keeps the price so high- every time I get an email from SW saying sale I look and it has consistently said $209 (yes you can find them less than that but when you advertise a sale....) I am a SW fan overall, but I really wish we would see cheaper flights to LAS. When I went in December I seriously considered using hidden city pricing to fly Buf-Las-SFO, and just get off in Las as it saved like 2k points, but didn't want to mess with weather in December and get stuck being rerouted to SFO without my vegas stopover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.