1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sister checking into my room at MGM

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by irl5fan, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irl5fan

irl5fan Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently booked a trip and we're staying at the MGM. Me and my wife are flying out of Cleveland together, and my sister is meeting us out there flying from Nashville. We're all staying in the same room. Since we're flying out of different cities, I couldn't book the trip for all of us on the website, so my sister just got her own flight and I took care of the flight/hotel package on my end. She gets in at 3pm and we don't in until 10pm. I didn't think it would be a big deal for her to check into the room for me, but since the room only has mine and my wife's name on it (b/c of our flight/hotel package), they won't let her check in for me. It seems like they want to make me add her to the room/pay extra for her.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Will I be able to get her into our room when I check in, or do you need to show proof that you're staying there to get to your room?

Sorry for the long winded post. Thank you for your input!

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't really an issue, but the way it works. Since her name isn't anywhere on the reservation, they won't allow her to check into the room. It would be the same as if I went in and told them I was in your party and they let me check into your room. I'm not on your reservation, so they won't let me do that. Until you arrive, check-in with your ID and credit card, you don't have a room, so there isn't a room for her to get a key for anyway.

Now, granted, the hotel DOES want you to add her to the reservation, because more than 2 people in a room and they want to charge a fee for that. This is standard as well, but most people will just ask for an extra key because "I'm always leaving one in the room" s the third person can have a room key. The drawback of not having her on the room is she can't get a key from the desk if she can't find you all, only people who's names are on the room would be able to do so. But, even if you did add her to the room, they may want the person who booked the room to be the one to check-in.

3. irl5fan

irl5fan Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I was just caught a little off guard since I've checked into a few hotels before without my name being on the reservation. I'm not trying to be cheap either, but I wasn't sure how much adding another person would cost and I'm already paying good money for the hotel. The weird thing is that MGM can't edit the reservation because it was booked through lasvegas.com, only lasvegas.com can make those arrangements (according to the lady I spoke with at MGM).

4. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    will lasvegas.com allow you to edit the resi at this point ? if so, just take off your wife's name and add your sisters name. other option, if there is no cancellation fee and the rate hasn't changed is to cancel the original reservation and rebook in your sisters name, have her pay and you can reimburse her when you arrive.

5. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never pay with my good money in Vegas. Only my bad money...my very, naughty, bad money.

6. irl5fan

irl5fan Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they would let me edit the reservation. I don't think they can take my wife's name off though because of our airfare that was in the package. That's the only reason they have her name. As long as she can get in our room when I check in, that's all I care about. I just wanted to make changes now if the hotel is really strict about who is coming and going.

7. RM777

RM777 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you tried calling the hotel in order to change the reservation? I am not sure if this is possible when you have booked through a third party.

8. irl5fan

irl5fan Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the hotel told my I had to go through the third party.

9. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as the room isn't a comp, it should be fine. Just call the property directly and have them add in your sister's name as an addt'l guest. Make sure they have a valid credit card to use for check-in. If you want to use your CC instead for room charges, then go to the FD and ask them to use yours on the reservation.

10. Shayna G

Shayna G Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You paid for two people to be in the room. Three people costs more. What is the issue? To have a third person in the room without telling them or paying for it is basically theft. That being said, many many people do it. But if you want her to be able to check in, get a key, etc, you are simply going to have to be honest and pay the fee.

11. irl5fan

irl5fan Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem is the way I had to order the package for flight & hotel. If you selected 3 it gives you 3 plane tickets flying out of the same City. She is flying out of a different city so I could only order for the two of us, which in turn only puts 2 people on the hotel list. Sounds like it'll work out, so I'm not concerned anymore.

12. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I never recommend booking air/hotel packages. You might save a little bit of money booking the package, but the hassle to make any changes or get a refund is not worth it. Vegas, in particular, I would always book direct through the hotel as they will not be able to offer any comps on the room that was booked through a third party.

My Longest Trip Ever
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.