1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving to/from Vegas and Palm Springs?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bluerider, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're thinking about flying into Vegas for a few days to get our gamble/partying on (as we do each winter), but as a new twist, we're thinking about then renting a car and driving to Palm Springs for some sun, golf and relaxation for the second half of the trip.

Has anyone made the drive to or from Vegas and the Palm Springs area? Google shows it to be just over 4 hours, but having never made the drive, I'm curious how it is? Any other suggestions for such a trip? Being from the Great Lakes, this would be an escape from winter sometime in February...

2. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't bother. Nevada has just as much sun, golf and relaxation. If Palm Springs is significantly warmer I suppose I could understand, and it possibly could be. The weather varies in February and so you never know. But often it is the same in Nevada. Palm Springs is like Vegas lite in my opinion but then again I live in SoCal. It's a boring drive even if you love the desert.

3. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are only going to Vegas for a few days, i would bypass Palm Springs.You can play Golf at Primm, or head over to visit Red Rock Canyon, Mt.Charleston, Valley of Fire.
    Palm Springs is great, especially the Tram, but not to waste 4 hours.
    I have friends in Ranch Mirage, even they would tell you not to do the drive for the amount of time you have.

4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do decide to drive, watch your speed. Both Nevada and California heavily patrol I-15 in marked and unmarked cruisers and I don't think they write warnings. I've driven the route four times now and I've seen many people pulled over. I almost got nailed once myself when I was in a pack of cars travelling above 80. The lone cruiser just picked a random car to pull over, not me! Whew!

Like the others have mentioned there is plenty to do in Las Vegas. I prefer Valley of Fire over Red Rock but the tram ride in Palm Springs is cool too!

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having written travel and golf books and gobs of articles about both locales, I say do it and enjoy two of the three parts of the great southwestern desert getaway triad. As for the drive, screw the interstate and head essentially south through Cima, Kelso, Amboy and 29 Palms, then through the park or around through the Morongo Valley to the Coachella Valley. Are you going to fly out of PSP or drive back to Vegas?

Send me a PM if you want to talk specifics.

6. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback all. Much appreciated!

I suppose I should've been a little clearer on our idea. We're looking to be on vacation for 7-8 days, and while I could handle that whole time in Vegas, the better half is only really good for 3-4 days max of sin city before she's had enough. So we either go elsewhere, or cut the vacation short.

The idea was to fly to LV for a few nights of gambling, etc., drive to PS for a good 4-5 days of relaxation, then fly back home direct from PS (rather than driving back to LV). I've found some pretty good deals on VRBO that would give us our own private place with backyard, pool and jacuzzi, etc. I can hit the links in the morning while she gets her "reading by the pool" quiet time and sunshine. I've heard that PS is generally in the 70's during the day in Feb, which seems warmer than what I recall from previous Feb trips to Vegas, so that was part of the motivation. I don't recall ever experiencing pool weather in Feb in Vegas. And to us northerners, yes, 70's is indeed pool weather (heated pool). If the Coachella valley is indeed no warmer than Sin City throughout the winter, I suppose I'd reconsider.

Thanks for the tips on the speed traps, as well as the drive. Believe it or not, we've never driven through the desert, so I think we'd be OK with it. Especially considering that around here it's hovering around zero degrees with snow and ice everywhere. Top speed on the highways up here the last few days was about 45 mph. Way too snowy and icy for anything faster, unless of course you want to end up in the ditch! And that's how much of the next 2-3 months will be, so 70 degrees is hot!

Any other thoughts are welcomed and appreciated! :beer:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.