1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Just got back yesterday from my 2nd trip and I'm seriously depressed

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Mstrishamc, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mstrishamc

Mstrishamc Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hi all!!

I read a few posts on here about others with "post Vegas blues" and I read that it helped them to write a trip report about their experience.

First I would just like to say that I've been elsewhere in the world, but vegas is the ONLY place that I actually cry legit tears when I have to leave. Being back home in Canada (and the -20 weather) has me so beyond depressed, to the point that I've been crying, and I have bad anxiety thinking that it's going to be 6 months I have to wait to go back.

Anyhow, this was my second trip. The first time I went, I went with my husband and his mom, and my dad, and my husbands sister and her boyfriend. So the 6 of us, a family trip. this time, it was just me and my husband. We left last Sunday and got back yesterday night, yes, we did NYE on the strip!! I picked Mandalay Bay to stay at, because I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and I love the location on the strip (not as busy as where Caesars or mirage is).
    We didn't get in until 10:30 pm, but we basically fired our bags in our room, and headed out to the strip. 5am, ready for bed :ssst:
    Next night, we went to 1Oak at the Mirage, and saw Khloe Kardashian (my fav), Floyd mayweather, R Kelly, and YG. Absolute insanity, I looooooved every minute of the club in Vegas.

We didn't do too many touristy things this time, none actually, just basically gambled, drank, and partied.
    New Years Eve was a blast. People told us it was shoulder to shoulder packed on the strip, and sure enough, IT WAS!! We rang in the new year with thousands of other drunk people all over the world. What a night to remember.

Also, we went to the Jabbawockeez show (highly recommend it to anyone) and the Zumanity show. I got pulled up on stage twice during the show, one time I had to straddle this guy while he was laying down and do sort of a "ride em cowgirl" kind of move. LMFAO!!

I wish I could report on more things we did, however, the majority was REALLY just walking th strip, gambling, partying, and drinking.

On a more serious note, I'm ridiculously depressed and here's why:
    My husband and I have 3 kids (I'm 29 he's 27), we both work, and the way our schedules work out, we maybe see each other for an hour or 2 a night. We sleep in different rooms because our 3 year old likes me to sle with him. We don't fight a LOT lot, but we argue a bit. You know, life's General stressors. Anyhow, we left the kids with the grandparents, and away we went.

We had the BEST time of our whole entire lives. I've NEVER felt closer to him before, we had a blast together, AND WE SLEPT IN THE SAME BED!! It was so romantic, and he honestly felt like my best friend when I was there. I can't even describe anymore how much fun we had, but I feel like it brought me way closer to him.

And now the feelings I had were gone. I feel like I'm back to reality, back to winter and snow and cold, back to barely seeing my husband, and sleeping in different rooms. My dream vacation is over (for the second time) and I'm back to this crap until July. I would give anything to go back right now, even though it's not possible. I've looked into ways to work there, live there, or at least visit as often as possible. Yes I am obsessed, but I really can't help it. To have the time of your life with the person you love by your side, is the most extraordinary feeling. I wanted to live in that moment forever. Carefree, happy, with the love of my life by my side. I can only go there 2x a year and it's not enough. I would love to go once every 3 months but that's pushing it.

I know you all probably think im crazy but I can't help the way I feel. I need to go back!! Right now!!

I am so depressed being back. It's not the same, and I can't snap out of it. I feel like I belong there, I hate living here.

It's not even JUST vegas I'm sad about. It was the whol feeling I had there with my husband, the love, the excitement, the lights, people, partying, EVERYTHING, with the love of my life beside me. I want to live that forever, letting go is so hard. What do I do?! Nothing helps, I have the post vegas blues in the worst possible way. I'm too sad.

2. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    glad you had an excellent time,
    might be worth while to sit down with your husband to discuss some ways to tweak the schedule or sleeping arrangements or something.

3. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel ya on the mood and the emotions that ensue from the whole experience. I have brought previous girlfriends there and it seems to heighten a relationship for those few days. NYE in Vegas must have been a blast! Maybe you need shorter vacations with just you and the husband, little getaways closer to your home? 3 kids may not make that easy, but you need time for the two of you too!!

Would like to get more details on your trip, take any pictures while you were there? It does help to write it out and share it, because at the same time you help all of us get to that next trip and the gratitude received is fulfilling as well, at least to a lot of us. Wish I could go every other weekend, but this board helps! Its been since September and I am hurting for another trip

4. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 to all of the above. This should be your first priority and should have been done a long time ago.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of us here are "obsessed", so we can relate and I doubt many here would label you "crazy" either. It's why the "What Happens Here Stays Here" ad campaign was so successful. Vegas, for the most part isn't "real life", at least for most of us. It's a welcome and needed departure from it. May I suggest figuring out small, but meaningful ways to make your life more like it is when you're in Vegas. Some date nights might be a start? Your age might be a contributing factor as well... it's a bitch letting go of the wild and crazy times, as the reality of jobs, children and committments sets in, but it doesn't have to mean your doomed to a life as an old-foggie. And if you do become an old-foggie, that's what downtown Las Vegas is there for!!!

The most important advice I can give you is to speak with your husband about your feelings... don't just close off in depression land and when he asks what's wrong you say, "nothing". IMHO, fighting and arguing a bit is LIFE... it's emotions, it's feelings, it's who you are and what the other person needs to know about you. Too much of it or done in a mean and spiteful manner is just poison to a relationship, but you gotta take some baby steps so "the grind" doesn't consume you.

Best wishes to you!!!

6. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you had a great time. My wife was 'depressed' after one of our trips a few years ago. Not quite as bad as you describe though. Sounds like you really connected with your husband and even though you're home now maybe focus on ways to stay connected to each other even if it's not partying and gambling all night in Vegas!

As for the three year old sleeping in your bed...i don't know you or your family and I usually try to refrain from giving other people parenting advice...so I'll just say: from what you've said, it sounds like weaning him off that arrangement might be in everyone's best interest.

7. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really enjoyed the report and appreciate how remarkably candid you are as it's refreshing. I hope you and your husband can continue to have great times ahead and, depending if you're in the Eastern provinces, perhaps an Atlantic City trip would, while not the same as Vegas of course, be a bit more manageable for you so you can bridge the gap between Vegas trips.

8. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry your having a tough time back home. I have to ask... Who did that 3 Yr old sleep with when you were gone?
    Sounds like it's time to cut the Apron Strings maybe. I think it will be for the best. I'm not a Counselor or anything...
    Hope it all works out for you.

9. sandybeachbar

sandybeachbar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with others, it is always a little depressing coming off a holiday high and stepping back into reality.

Weaning the 3 yo out of the bed is a great idea and not as hard as you probably believe it to be. A 3 year old can be reasoned with and bribery often works :) Good luck!

10. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get the 3 year old into his own room, we have 3 kids really close in age and almost never allowed them to sleep in our bed
    even when they were sick, i know too many friends and clients that fall into this trap

tough it out and get him in his own bed, your life is busy enough with everything else, what little time you have to yourselves, you need to stay sane

11. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I deal with post-trip depression by planning my next trip!

12. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's obvious that you've earned your username on this board ..

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's natural to feel a sad about leaving, but think how fortunate you were to make the trip in the first place. We never had the funds nor the built in babysitter when our kids were little. I'm jealous. You have an upcoming trip in 6 months to plan plus this board so you can live vicariously through others. Count your blessings.

The 3 y.o. is cramping you're style, get him a set of Ninja Turtle bedsheets and give him the boot, short term pain for long term gain.

This is the Trip Report forum and your first post, so please regroup and dish some details. I need to live vicariously, it's a new year and I don't have any trips to Vegas planned.

14. NvrSumR

NvrSumR Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are definitely not alone feeling depressed after returning from Vegas. It took me a solid two weeks to get back to normal my last trip in May; I was miserable. You can add me to the lift of people"obsessed" with Vegas. I too also would move out there in a heartbeat if it weren't for marriage and two kids, but at the same time living there would ruin it's mystic.

I'm no counselor, but as a parent of a 2 1/2 yr old boy, you guys have got to figure out a way to get him to sleep in his own bed. Your sanity and relationship with your husband deserve it.

The only advice I can give you to help out between trips is get on here, live vicariously through other members and start planning your next trip!

Good luck!!!

15. Mstrishamc

Mstrishamc Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't agree more. Knowing there are many other people out there feeling the same way as me, helps me out a lot. I know people are saying date nights, go somewhere closer etc, and no that doesn't work lol. I do get date nights with my boyfriend. But it's still here. Not in vegas. I've been closer places. Still not the same. I've been to Mexico and California, not th same. I didn't get these feelings. It's LITERALLY only in vegas. And I feel like I'm about to sell my soul to the devil to be able to go back often. I don't want to save money for anything but vegas. I mean I'll obviously still pay my bills etc, I mean spending money. It's now called vegas money. It's my favourite place in the whole world, and Theres nowhere else I would rather be.

I took TONS of pictures, I got a great one of Floyd mayweather and r kelly. I have a great video of the countdown on th strip too.

I dunno, I just like the feeling I get there. Nothing else gives me that high like vegas. And the fact that it made me and my babe so close, it was that much better.

Being back home, things will go back to normal, I'll drift away from him, Cuz that's what happens when unfortunately happens when you work and have kids, you can't just see each other whenever and do fun things. Vegas is not reality, but for the short time you're there, it's your reality in that moment. And that's what I need to snap the f out of.

But it's hard to do that in -25 weather with snow. I DONT like it here. I didn't even before I went to vegas lol. I think I'm a palm tree, nice weather kinda girl. But Canadians can't exactly just move to the states whenever. And getting sponsored/visa is next to impossible. You'd have a better chance immigrating to Mexico and then up to the states.

16. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really sure where to start. Of course we're all obsessed with Las Vegas here on this board, that's why we're here! We countdown the days, hours, minutes and seconds until our next trips. But to be THAT bummed about your reality when you get home isn't normal IMHO. I think it has less to do with how awesome Vegas is and more to do with how miserable you are in your day to day life. Only you can change it, but the same problems would exist if you were able to up and move your family to Vegas. People ask me all the time, "Would you ever live in Las Vegas???" The answer is a resounding NO! I know that if I lived there, the magic would be gone. Getting to only go once a year (or however often you get to go) is what makes it special! I'll leave you with this...you say you'll "drift away" from your bf because you're back home and that's "what happens when you have work and kids". Uhhhh no it's not. Plenty of us have work and kids and don't "drift away" from our partner's when we're not in Vegas. I would concentrate more of your energy into working on your relationship with your bf.

17. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to my old world. Same thing when we were in our 20's ,I worked days and watched kids at night when she worked. Eventually things got better,they will for you too if you give them a chance .
    Try to look at the positives,you have a roof over your head,JOBS!!, a family and believe me theres people a lot worse off. You may need counselling,maybe or maybe not but dont go off the deep end at such a young age,you have your whole life ahead of you.

18. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, get the 3-yr old back in their own bed and you and hubby in your bed together. If you lived in Vegas, that would be your real life, not your vacation life. Institute a date night on a regular basis for you and hubby.

19. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent response!

20. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for sharing your report with us. Like smartone said, we're all obsessed in our own little ways with Vegas. And we all do Vegas in our own different quirky ways...and that is one of the things that makes the city so appealing; because there is so much to do and there is something for everyone.

I didn't go to Vegas until I was 30 (five years ago) and it was my girlfriend at the time who suggested the trip. I'd never had the desire to go but she wanted to see it because she wasn't from the USA. So we booked the trip and from the moment we walked out onto the strip we were in awe. Now here's the crazy part...we ended up going four times in five months. There was so much to do and see and we kept wanting to experience it.

We didn't have kids (and I am still without any juniors running around) so it was easier to break away but I can definitely feel you on the urge to go back. Winter is depressing most of the time. To go from a responsibility-free vacation in an awesome locale back to below zero temps and life's responsibilities sucks. But Vegas isn't going anywhere - you'll be able to go back. Part of the fun is planning the next trip so you can start that process to help relieve some of the Post Vegas Depression (which we all suffer from).

Good luck with everything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.