1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Holiday eats

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's time to start sorting out the big picture, and we've settled on three mains:

Birthday -- grilled beef tenderloin
    Christmas Eve -- shrimp and grits
    Christmas -- porchetta

Now to backfill with all the other stuff.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started thinking about it this morning and I remembered that I have not had Kielbasa and Sauerkraut in a long time. I make it in the crockpot. I could go crazy and make Meatballs and Sauce in another crockpot.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bueno!!! Two greats every time!

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we are having meatballs in sauce christmas eve.....
    fresh made kielbasa part of christmas dinner. found a new place in south deerfield mass that has delicious smoke kielbasa and hams.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For many, many years when I still lived in Philly, there was a fifth generation Polish butcher just 2 blocks from me. Oh, the smell of the garlic was heaven!

Alas, the younger generation sold out to "foreign investors" and that heaven is gone forever.

6. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used to do a prime rib roast for Christmas Eve and a turkey for Christmas dinner. My father's birthday was Christmas Eve.

This year we're going to an Italian restaurant for Christmas Eve and we've been doing Tex-Mex potluck on Christmas Day for many years. Enchiliadas, tamales, fajiitas...etc. We like that much better than turkey.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not doing a formal Christmas Eve. Won't be shocked if we do pizza or Chinese. Christmas Day will be the family tradition Cornish hens with wild rice.

8. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our holiday fare is:

Birthdays (22nd & 23rd) - Family heads to dinner to celebrate the two birthdays we alternate between a steakhouse and greek restaurant
    Christmas Eve - Lasagne & salads
    Christmas Day - Turkey dinner with all the trimming
    New Year's Eve - appetizers and salads with plenty of drinks
    New Year's Day - Prime rib

I love the holidays and playing hostess.

Hope you all enjoy the holiday season and Santa is good to us all!!

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm getting hungry. On Christmas Eve (for the past 4 or so years) we go to the movies. And eat M&M's and popcorn.

My wife and I have an empty nest at home so we go to the movies; sometimes we are the only ones in the theatre besides a couple of other people. We like that.

On Christmas Day the family gets together and we open presents, eat, drink, and be merry.

10. beaumontbhoy

beaumontbhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    had to google porchetta but that sounds really good

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Truth in advertising: We're not doing the whole pig thing. We're not even doing the belly/loin version. We're cheating with a Mario Batali recipe we saw in Food & Wine. It'll be a butterflied shoulder stuffed with fennel and sausage, then rolled, tied and roasted.

12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas will be Chinese food, as usual. New Years we will be grilling up a couple of good steaks, with baked potatoes and all that good stuff.

13. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas will be at a friend's house. I'm doing dessert - A pumpkin bundt cake with cream cheese caramel icing and either German chocolate pecan pie bars or a flourless chocolate cake. I can't decide if I should do something for Christmas eve. The BF wants me to make a turkey dinner since I worked Thanksgiving; not sure if I want to bother. I might do a pork tenderloin... Gotta think of something relatively easy.

New Year's eve will probably be an early dinner out; nothing fancy since I have to work New Year's day (which means getting up at 5AM. :( )

14. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, that sounds good!

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well have to let you know, we've never made it before. ;)

On that Chinese comment above: Back in the 80s, with some of us relocating back to PDX not long before the holidays, we had Thanksgiving at the now shuttered and so awesomely named Hung Far Low. I drove by it last week trying to negotiate Burnside and find a parking spot for dinner at Alexis. It just made me smile and laugh, seeing the sign.

16. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas Eve is all day/evening appetizer grazing. Christmas Day traditional turkey dinner. I'm still battting a few Christmas breakfast ideas around and haven't settled on that menu yet. We only have 8 for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at our home so I fear I may have gone overboard with appies and baking, but that's why the freezer was invented.

New Years Eve hubby and I and two other couples are attending a dinner/dance at our local golf course. This is the first time we've gone out for NY Eve in 4 years as we've been hosting friends. Looking forward to the change. The convenience of going to the course a short walk from our house eliminates the worry of arranging transportation.

17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas Eve is always seafood for us (not Italian, so not the traditional Feast of the Seven Fishes) I am thinking clam chowder and maybe lobster (tails) thermidor. It'll just be me & my husband so I can splurge.
    Christmas - mom is hosting and doing a brunch. She said she didn't need me to bring anything, so....
    NYE I always do a selection of various appetizers because they're my favorite thing to eat :) But haven't decided on any specifics yet. Shrimp cocktail is an easy winner in our house, and I can always do something with any leftovers the next day.

18. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my family goes crazy over Hillshire Farm Lil smokies sausage wrapped in bacon.... but what doesn't taste better wrapped in bacon ;)

19. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, I have about 10 ideas I had wanted to do for Thanksgiving but didn't (I hosted Thanksgiving this year and it was "small plates" so I made a ton of appetizers) I never have a hard time coming up with food ideas! I love to cook and always try new stuff- not a lot of "traditions" around our place!

20. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pinterest crazy so trying lots of new appetizers this year!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.