1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another Christmas thread - what is the worst present you ever received?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me one year my m-law got me the cologne from Avon that she wears -- it was called Sand and Sable - or something like that - it was hideous - over powering old lady perfume -- I was in my early twenties at the time. - I didn't try to re-gift it.

My father - rest in peace - took the prize one year gifting to my mother. He had her hopes ups early on telling her that her present was so big it would not fit under the tree. Christmas Eve he would stay up and wrap gifts. We always got up early an hour or so before my father. That Christmas day next to the tree was a perfectly wrapped broom and dustpan and a large kitchen trashcan -- My sister and I died laughing -- my mother had to laugh to. That was all she got from him - he meant it with all sincerity.

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly can't say I've received a bad Christmas gift. For, even some of the minimalist choices demonstrated a level of sincerity. And, often, a lesser gift reflected the giver's lack of resources to do better.

As we get older we start to appreciate the old maxim that it really isn't the gift itself that matters - it's the thought behind it.

Bill

3. mrbadger12

mrbadger12 Tourist

I got a box full of shitty (litterly) cat litter!! Now, I must explain. Our family is very joking. So at x-mas, we did "joke" presents instead of doing real gifts (brothers and such). OMG, some of the gifts--rubbers, blow up dolls, a dish network dish, old 1971 carpet, clowns, 1915 hats etc..... you get the message!! We had more fun doing this!! OMG!

4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds hilarious mrbadger -- My son is an only child/grandhild/nephew - My sister is an old maid - 3 times engaged and gave up decades ago - now she is a cat lady. My son has always had a close relationship with her - like a second mother --- He was pretty materialistic with Christmas as a child -- Spoiled rotten is more like it. One year she gave him a huge gift, inside smaller box, then smaller box etc. After about 7 boxes he gets to a wadded up piece of trash - it was priceless - he was about 10 years old. - He of course got a real present from her that I am sure was very expensive.

My daughter in law got my husband a night light like the leg lamp in Christmas Story - He wants the huge lamp - I have forbidden my family to buy it for him. Last year I accidentally broke the leg night light. Just like Darren McGavin in the movie he swears I did it on purpose.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate it when i get a gift so even though it might not be my cup of tea i will feel good knowing someone thought of me enough to put effort into getting me something.

I do have a th8ng about presents being wrapped in plain brown paper. If i love you then i will give you a gift wrapped in plain brown paper so if you get one in christmas wrap, well then, you are just ok on my list.

if i get one wrapped in plain brown paper i will be over the moon.

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope more people contribute to this thread. I liked reading the contributions so far because it shows that we all get gifts that are not that "ideal" but we all realize that it was sincere, and yes, sometimes it's because the gift giver lacked the resources to do better, as UTE wisely mentioned.

Gift giving can be stressful at times, but I think that if everyone realizes that its the thought that counts, gift giving and receiving can be more relaxed and fun.

I've had my share of gifts that I really couldn't use but I appreciated the effort and thought that went into it. And bless those who lack the resources to give, but give wholeheartedly anyway.

7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had an early boyfriend dump me on Xmas Eve. That kind of sucked. I was 15. I got over it. I got another boyfriend pretty quick. Actually met my husband that Xmas break too,

8. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obvious regifts.

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably the worst were the work gifts I've gotten over the years. For example a bottle of dry white Hungarian table wine,just what I want , and of course, the ever popular .99 tin of butter cookies.
    We stopped exchanging with my sister and hubby who are the richest/cheapest people on planet earth. Their stuff obviously came from some thrift shop.

10. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never received Christmas gifts as a child or an adult.

People should be thankful for their gifts even if they suck. The best gift I got was from a friend. He gave me his old bong for my bday. Lol

I do give family and friends gifts. Cool gifts like laptops, Playstation, designer clothes, etc.

When I'm rich, i plan to give everyone books as gifts

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know if polyanna's count, but when I was 17, I worked in the restaurant at a Holiday Inn. My polyanna was one of the older waitresses, never married, but like your favorite aunt. She got me a three pack of JC Penny tighty-whities, and she got the size right! My buddies at the hotel were busting on me, saying I had a fling with her in one of the hotel rooms to get the size and style right.

But yes, at my stage in life, 'tis better to give than receive. All I want for Christmas is peace, love and understanding. Maybe a bottle of rye whiskey.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  12. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 dozen pairs of socks from 3 different family members all serious prezents, aparently im hard to buy for :grrr:
    Guess what they got from me every year after...... FOOK ALL --|-

13. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a difference between a "I didn't give a damn" and a "I tried" present.

Once I received a little, chipped Mexican ornament. From this person, I don't know what it meant.

My SIL received a box of something from his mom. It wasn't anything he wanted so he re gifted it the next year to his sister. He's responsible for buying for his own family. She opened it and he was caught. He hadn't opened the box and it was something he'd really wanted the year before.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One year we did a gift exchange with our women in business group. I opened the box to find one of those glass blocks from the 90s with an electrical plug hanging out of it. The pic of me is priceless. My face clearly says WTF!?

Now it is one of my favorite Xmas decorations. There is a string of clear Xmas lights inside and the outside is wrapped in a bow, like a gift. The ribbon is so perfect for me as it is covered in paw prints and says Santa Paws. And Amy made it Just For Me. :)

15. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe not the worst Christmas gift but it might as well be. The story:

When we were little my Mom made all of us kids believe in the Easter Bunny. Same thing as Santa: the Easter Bunny would come on the eve of Easter and give all us kids Easter Baskets.

One year we all woke up to find our Easter baskets at the foot of out beds. My brothers and sisters had beautiful, huge, (commercial bought) Easter baskets containing lots of wonderful goodies, from chocolate eggs and bunnies wrapped in pretty foil to coloring books, crayons, candies, stuffed animals, you name it, all sorts of wonderful things. These baskets were at least 2 1/2 to 3 ft, tall, wrapped in colored plastic with ribbons and all the jingles and jangles that would make any kid's eyes wide in delight.

Except mine. I must've been 6 or 7 yrs. old then. I remember my basket: a small maybe 6X6 inch square little woven basket that contained a few chocolate eggs and a bunch of jelly beans. I tried hard not to show my disappointment as my brothers and sisters ooohed and aaahed at their gifts. I remember smiling and playing that Easter morning, while crying silently on the inside.

What happened? To this day I really don't know. My Mom never mentioned a word as to why there was such a disparity between my basket and my siblings. I'd like to think that the store ran out of the good baskets so I was left with whatever slim pickings available. Or maybe my Mom forgot me (I am the middle child and they say the middle one always gets forgotten, so they say...).

But I'll never forget that day. I distinctly remember playing, smiling as little kids do, but every once in a while I would look at my sibling's basket, and then to mine. As a little kid you can't help but think you just weren't special like the rest of them....

So to this day I'll go with the premise that my Mom had no choice because there simply weren't any good baskets left. I wished she would have told me though, it would have made me feel better.

To even entertain the thought of my Mom forgetting me until the last minute is too heartbreaking for me to even think that was the case.

16. GogglesPizano

GogglesPizano Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My worst gift was nowhere near as hard a story as Electroguy's but it sure was disappointing. Back in the early 80's I was a kid of 11 or so. The technology everyone takes for granted now, didn't exist back then.

You have to be a certain age to remember this (late 30's at least) but the coolest most amazing technology was the invention of the personal cassette recorder. The coolest of all these, was the bright yellow Sony Walkman. I wanted one so badly as everyone who was cool had one and they were just so amazing that you could actually walk around listening to music.

We were definitely not spoiled kids, we got one main present and that was it. Christmas morning comes, and my brother who was nine at the time opened his gift and I heard a scream. I looked over and there it was, yellow as could be. He was so happy. I eagerly opened mine to find a decked out............ALARM CLOCK. I was sooooooo disappointed. I'm sure my parents spent about the same on each but I was a kid who'd just got a fucking alarm clock as my main Christmas gift. Electroguy was better than me at holding his disappointment, as I think I started to cry. The equivalent today would be a kid who's younger sibling gets an iPad, while they get a pimped out automatic toothbrush. Sad thing is, I think my parents really thought I'd love my gift.

I'm in my 40's now and still remember that morning. Needless to say, I'm cognizant never to gave my head that far up my ass, when I buy my kids their Christmas presents.

17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of those fly-by-wire gasoline engine airplanes. My older brother grabbed it out of my hand right after I opened it and said it was his and that Mom had put the wrong tag on it. My mother never said one word.

My father once got his one and only present from his mother, a pound of butter.

18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A hairbrush from my wife yet she got her oldest brother $500 gift card from his golf course, her middle brother a new blu-ray player, her youngest brother a $500 gym membership and her sister $500 cash. I do know where I am on the totem pole.

19. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love your screen name, Goggles.

eh heh heh heh... eh heh heh heh!

20. imamelfan1

imamelfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually cried a little while reading this. I have never cried while reading this board. I think I am just too sensitive.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.