1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Earn SW Rapid Rewards points with an MGM gift card purchase - Good idea?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by STPFan, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I noticed on the SW Rapid Rewards site they are offering the following deal: Earn up to 6,000 points with an MGM gift card purchase. Purchase a $100 gift card and receive 1200 points, purchase a $250 gift card adn receive 3000 points, purchase a $500 gift card adn receive 6000 points. A maximum of 24000 rapid reward points will be awarded per guest regardless of total gift cards purchased.

I have a hotel stay coming up for NYE and was wondering if purchasing these would be a great way to earn SW points since I am staying there anyway. My other concern is whether gift cards contribute towards your tier level or whether the use of gift cards is only good on certain things like restaurant vs hotel stay.

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that it depends on who you purchase the card FROM. I don't think that you can "double dip" on this, but I may be wrong. If you purchase the cards through SWA is there any place to put your mLife number? If not, then you won't get mLife points. if so, then you might.

There ARE restrictions on mLife card usage, but I inquired at the HGS what they were and it wasn't made clear to me what those restrictions are. You might want to contact mLife directly to see where the mLife gift cards are honored.

I will put in a request for information to mLife and report back.

3. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in August I used a $100 gift card at Aria ( I got from Amex rewards). I used it when I checked in as a prepayment. I was paying for the 2 nights ( $95 per night) plus with room charges I knew I would be way over $100. The check in agent said I would still get the tier credits, they treat the gift card charge just like they would cash or credit. But who knows if I actually got the credits. It's so hard to keep track of the tier credits from spending and gambling during a trip.

4. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a really good deal but I'm not seeing it on the Rapid Rewards site. Have a link?

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.mgmresortsgiftcard.com/giftcards/faq.aspx

Considering that 1,200 Rapid Rewards points is worth $17, that's not a bad deal.

Speaking of double dipping, you're supposed to be able to get 600 RR points for any MGM property stay when you give your number at check in.

6. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, but there is no mention of the SWA promotion on the link that you provided.

Nevermind. Found it.

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/promotions

I noticed that there is no place on the site to put your mLife number, so I would guess that you can't "double dip".

7. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, got a reply back from mLife. They ignored the questions about the SWA promotion but pretty much clarified it by the statement:

"M life Tier Credits will be earned on the service provided by redeeming the gift card not the actual gift card purchase. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us."

So, the purchase of the gift card doesn't provide tier credits, but redeeming it does.

The full text of the reply:

Thank you for contacting M life Member Services. Gift Cards may be purchased at one participating property and used at another MGM Resorts International property. Please logon to www.mgmresortsgiftcard.com for inquiries/list of outlets that accept gift cards. Please note the following regarding the gift card usage:

Terms and Conditions

- No gambling
    - No hotel reservations, bill settlement only
    - No bar tab, purchase only
    - No cash out or cash back
    - Guests may determine balance by calling 1-800-926-2371
    - Gift cards cannot be shipped to Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, or NY

- Guests will be notified via email when your order has shipped

M life Tier Credits will be earned on the service provided by redeeming the gift card not the actual gift card purchase. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hop this answers the question.

8. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell me if im wrong? For a round trip flight for me it is about 12000 points. The dollar amt would be 450.00 for that same flight. If I purchase a 1000.00 GC that will give me 12000 points. So essentially they are giving me $450.00 for a 1000.00 purchase? Im tired and might be thinking this easy equation
    through too much..

9. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a 24,000 maximum points for gift card purchases. That would be $2000 In mLife gift cards

right now (from San Jose, CA to Las Vegas) a $73 filght is 3,777 points, and a $217 flight is 12,633 points.

So, for a $2000 purchase, they would be rebating you about $400, and that doesn't include the 50,000 mLIfe points on the back end.

My problem is that I don't "spend" that much money at mLife resorts. I went to LV 12 times in 2014, and spent 6 of the stays at mLife properties, and spent <$100 cash.

10. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's right. So it sounds like a really good deal to me?

11. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you spend that much at mLife properties, yes.

12. StingerHook

StingerHook High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here, but can I use the gift card to pay the nightly rate/resort fee? Or can it only be applied to charges I make to the room?

In other words, I have nights booked at Mandalay Bay that will cost ~$250 after taxes and resort fees, and let's assume I accrue $100 of meal charges to my room. If I, upon check-in, gave them a $250 gift card along with my credit card (like Krh2o mentioned earlier) can I expect the gift card to be completely used before they start charging my credit card? Or would they only apply the gift card to the $100 of additional charges?

13. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I did it, I gave the gift card and they just added it in as a deposit, similar to how they charge the first night (if you aren't comped). When I went to check out I paid the remaining balance on my card.

When I check in they usually say they need a credit card for incidentals, but you can pay however you like upon check out. Usually when I check out in person they ask the balance on the card on file, or something to that extent.

This seems like a too good to be true promotion. I am definitely going to pick up a $500 dollar gift card.

*Edit* I just went to buy 2 $500 gift cards, they charge a $2.95 card fee per card, a $4.99 shipping fee, and a $45 dollar convenience fee. My total was $1,055.89 all in. Still a good deal of 12K points.

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest redeems RR points at 70 points per $1 of fare for Wanna Get Away fares (100 points for Anytime and 120 points for Business Select). So 12,000 pts is only worth $171 for any Wanna Get Away fare (and less for Anytime or Business Select)

A $500 card gets you 6,000 RR points, or $85 worth of fare value
    Two gets you $171.
    Three gets you $256.
    Four (the max) gets you $342.

The simplest equation is that it's a 17% discount/rebate on the MGM card.

You're probably seeing 12,000 points as the "price" on only one side of your $450 round trip. The dollar amount fare prices they show include taxes and fees, so a flight that's listed as $225, the fare itself may only be $180. When you pay with points, you don't pay any tax.

15. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh for fuck's sake. :rolleyes2:

16. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a Cluster F@#% this has been. I tried to buy the cards with my Discover Card. It said error, unable to process, so I hit buy again. It again said error, so I typed the card number again, and again it said error. The then got an text from Discover alerting me of potential fraud. Apparently I have $3,160 dollars of suspected charges. I then call Southwest and was informed that they only work with Rapid Rewards Visa. It doesn't mention this anywhere. The agent says I am the fourth person to call with this issue. SO I have $3,100 plus in "pending charges" that will go away eventually I guess. What a fiasco.

17. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got it but, if i had to pay the round trip of say 450 inc tax or use 12000 miles don't really care if there is tax or not. in my mind I'm still saving 450.00. In my mind true?
    The other issue is i never have a bill at the end of my stays at Aria! I can only use this card at mgm. It isn't like it is a debit card. Anyone want to buy 4 cards from me for 1800? Lol

18. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    mLife cards are good at ALL mLife properties, but you now see the predicament that a High Roller has with this promotion.

19. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the answers. I am still considering this. The convenience fee sucks though.

Wonder if this purchase would contribute towards a companion pass and when the points would be applied. We are trying in January for the companion pass and my husbands statement closes January 1st. So I wonder if I ordered them now would it be assured that I would get the cards in time for our NYE trip and would the points be good towards companion pass. Off to see if I can find answers to these questions.

20. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The convenience fee is to ensure that they make some money off of the deal. Remember, nothing really comes for "free".

Points are not applied until the flight is TAKEN. Some people take a short, cheap trip to get segment credit before a time period ends, but with more airlines following the SWA model of $$$=points, that's becoming more difficult.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.