1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A golfer's, umm, lament? No, a golfer's idiocy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I shot an 88 on Saturday. You can look at it as 16 over par, or about right in my wheelhouse as a 13.4 or whatever my index is now. But breaking it down, I saw it as 10 pars and 16 over on eight holes, or right about in my wheelhouse as an idiot.

We love this game, right?!

2. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The day I shoot an 88 will be the day that I feel as though I've conquered the world.

I'm generally in the 110-120 range. Granted, I've only been playing for about 3 years (I've actually been playing for almost 30, but for the first 27 or so, I'd golf no more than once per year, and sometimes not at all) but I've broken 50 on 9 holes maybe 3 times.

Still, all it takes is one awesome shot to make you want to come back for more, and that's probably what I love most about the game.

3. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My scores from November fit well in this thread, methinks:
    104 (worst score in over a year)
    75 (best score in years)

I'm not sure anyone benefits more than me from the fact indexes are calculated only on the best 10 of your previous 20 rounds.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that is it, distilled to its purest expression.

We are twins sons of different mothers.

You know, makes me think we should do a VMB golfapalooza some day ... finally. Not a tourney, per se, because those are too anal. Friends we know and don't actually know coming together for laughs and duckhooks. Even if just for one round. And I suggest Coyote Springs! (Yes, it's a haul.)

5. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I once shot even par on the front 9 of a reasonably difficult course. The front course was the more difficult side. Then I proceeded to shoot 20 over on the back 9 for a 91. I went from euphoria to throwing my pitching wedge into the pond on the 18th hole. My short game imploded on the back 9.

I was watching Big Break last night (not a real fan of the show) and these people are robots. Where is the f___ing emotion.

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I managed to break 80 once this year,the blind squirrel theory or something. Havent played in over two weeks,mostly crappy weather or busy with other things.

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read in SI that Derek Jeter is a 31 handicap! Just goes to show ya!

I once was 2 under after 4 holes and still didn't break 100.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

Reminds me of a three-birdie day at Pebble and barely breaking 100. Walking up 18, my caddie put his arm around me, laughed, and said, "Mr. Van Vechten, you're some kinda fukd up, aren't you?!" Probably the biggest laugh I've ever had on a course.

I just looked that up, Breeze, and Jeter was shown as a 30 some number of years ago. Not sure where he is now. He was behind us at Shadow the day before he played with POTUS but I don't remember seeing him hit any shots.

9. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am no long lost twin to you Ken and M_ILIS. I am remarkably consistent 84 to 94 rarely higher, very rarely lower.
    I no longer can reach too many holes so 3-5 GIR's now become bogeys unless I go off on up and downs. Those account for the additional 5 strokes on my index too.
    Funny how that works.
    I love the idea of a VMB fun round although playing without some kind of Nassau might be hard to do. Coyote Springs would be fun. I hit 145 on the speedo going out there once.
    Speaking of golf with POTUS, my Bandon caddie looped for Clinton at Sawgrass years ago. Great stories.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    'Bu, not sure we want to contemplate you in a Speedo at any speed. Just saying.

That's pretty much my range, excluding that 100whatever I likely put up at Shadow. A great comeback round from the 84 the day before at Coyote. You're in welcome company. Wonder if Pacific Links would do something for us at SouthShore or Dragon or Southern Highlands?

It would be a kick to get in a round with Uncle Bill.

11. jwkick

jwkick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i can shoot between 80 to 90 with no problem. The problems are my swing changes from shot to shot. can putt, chip, drive some days just never all 3 together! But man do I love that silly little game!!!

12. lostfido

lostfido I push my fingers into my eyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before having my knee replacement I was a 15, hoping to get anywhere under 20 with my new parts.
    I've been fighting a loft problem for years, but no one makes a club to fix loft (Lack of F***ing Talent)

However, they do put 2 cup holders on each side of the cart for a reason!

13. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like fun!!! Too bad I only make it out to Vegas during holiday periods (ie. Christmas, Easter, Summer), otherwise I'd sign up in a second.

Still have new sticks, but no chance to use them with 2 feet of snow on the ground (two weeks, though)!

14. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread reinforces what I say about the pros. They are pros not so much for what they can do, but for what they don't do. We have all hit pro like shots. Like to two feet from 150 out. Or thirty foot putts. But the pros are pros because they don't have blow up holes like we do.

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Darn, I trashed that issue already. I wanted to quote it, but anyway, that's what I read. I did a double-take, too.

Are you saying that we shouldn't believe what sportswriters say? :thumbsup::poke:

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    doon: Hmmm, summer. Guaranteed great rates. No back problems. lol

Tip: A few years back I played in the pro-am of a Canadian Tour event. So that's about AA ball, or so. Unless you looked very carefully, you'd think the guy was in the show. The ball sizzled after impact, he could take it both ways and high/low, the works. But the stats would show that a foot or three here, a putt or four across a couple rounds there, was keeping him out of the big game and always would; he had no chance whatsoever, yet he was a stick, a total stick. Amazing when you think about it.

Breeze: He very well could still be a 30. My quick search simply turned up a mid-'00s version of that time-to-time article showing the handicaps of jocks and rocks and stars. Perhaps the latest one shows a different number; we all do trend over time, and sometimes the right direction. But I've seen pros in other sports who would be lucky to have my game, and that's not such a lucky thing. With their speed and strength, many simply end up going farther into the junk than we mortals go into the junk.

17. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did someone say VMB Golfapalooza? Sign me up! :peace:

Coyote Springs is a haul but worth the trip! Too bad my golf crew doesn't want to golf there again due to the distance...

Annual Golf Trip
  18. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell them it's all about the scenery on their way up there!!!

I'd hit Coyote Springs for the 5th time in a heartbeat - love the course!!

19. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent point and will try to change their minds! Another issue for my April 2015 golf trip is that they're aerating LV Paiute Wolf the week we'll be there. So, we'll have to golf at Snow instead. Snow's cool but Wolf is Wolf :thumbsup:

Annual Golf Trip
  20. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done many April golf trips in Vegas and area. Great weather and courses are in excellent shape then. You are right about aerating, though, most courses have an April schedule. Make sure to give the courses a call a few days before your scheduled time, to confirm the aerating schedule - they should give you a definite answer, and, if not, I've even gone so far as getting the pro shop to forward my call to the maintenance shop to talk to the real deal people.

It may sound picky, however, I've been burned too many times by an ill-informed pro shop staff 'failing' to tell me about that fact, then arrive to a maintenance crew nightmare on the course (and don't start me on putting on top-dressed greens).

As you can tell, greens are a very important part of my golf game!!!

What other courses are you thinking of trying out?

Are the Snow and Sun courses at Paiute as busy as Wolf - I'm thinking of trying out 36 holes in one day out there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.