1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I am not shopping Thanksgiving evening, I am not shopping on Black Friday

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And I'm not shopping on Saturday or Sunday.

Let others mindlessly feed the gluttonous, consumer-crap machine.

However, by a quirk of the calendar the Christmas lights will go up in November this year since the 1st is Monday.

2. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh Hell no.

Cyber Monday shopping from home is the way to go.

Traditionally, we (I that is) put the lights up the day after Thanksgiving.

3. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here! Hell, I don't like to shop on a normal weekend.

4. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's that, too, Steve!

For me it's far less the crowds, however, as it is what this non-event "event" says about our culture. "Buy shit for people. Don't really think about what shit. Just buy shit."

(Oh, and for reference, I grew up a typical middle-class American kid who circled pretty much everything in the Sears Christmas Catalog. And you know what, my parents actually did a better job than I ever would've done. Sure, something "must have" -- such as must have was in the '60s and 70s -- might make it under the tree, but often not, and like I said, my parents always thought -- I now see in retrospect -- it through. The marketeers have won now.)

And then fueling it into this frenzy, like the world is ending next week and you're an idiot if you don't fall into line ...

This time of year we always have the rants in the news and on social media about somehow despoiling Christmas with people run around saying "Happy Holidays." Well, you know what, what's more despoiling of both holidays than turning 'em into an orgy of vacuous retail lunacy?

OK, rant over. Gotta go buy stuff for tomorrow's feast and our weekend here with friends. But it won't be shit. ;)

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One time for me about 15 years ago. My wife, the shopper, dragged me to a Target to get in line at like 5:00 in the AM IIRC, still dark and cold. Get into the store and the TV she wanted was already sold out. That was my one and only time I would go through that foolishness.

7. Blacklegs22

Blacklegs22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Could not have said this any better...just wonder why nothing changes when so many of us feel this way...:soapbox:

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I make one purchase on black friday, a local restaurant has 50% off gift cards, we use them ourselves throughout the year, never give them out.

I find it shameful that some stores are open on Thanksgiving day. Even the Dollar Tree store will be open on Thanksgiving! I will bet the officers and upper management of this company will be home with their families.

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, I am actually in the position of needing a bunch of fairly big ticket items (oven, microwave, mattress, TV among other things). Some back of the envelope math tells me I could conceivably save thousands of dollars by buying that stuff this weekend.

I’m hoping that Sunday might not be as crazy (because I’m sure as hell not going out Friday)? We’ll see. Despite my impending unemployment, I still don’t think the odds are good that I’ll venture out into that mess. I’d start the line at about 5-1.

10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there are some stores here like Lowes that are letting you buy today at black friday prices on appliances, snowblowers,etc... you may want to check that out as an option.

the only shopping i am doing friday is going with our daughter to get a fresh cut christmas tree. it's a tradition we've been doing for over 30 years.

11. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the more incentive for today's youth to not end up working retail for a career.

Nick

12. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never go out on Black Friday, but this year I might make an exception. Around the corner from my home in our village is a Jos. A Bank store, which is has a special for 3 long-sleeve button downs for $99.00.

Since it's walking distance, I'll probably pop my head in since I need some new shirts for work.

13. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I avoid going shopping during the holidays as well unless it can be done online. Not worth the traffic, lines, and headaches...

14. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any man who goes shopping any day should hike up his panties. Real men go to buy.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right on!!

Yep. I bought new glasses yesterday. Tried three regular frames and three for sunglasses. The (cute) girl helping said she'd be happy to pull many more styles. I smiled and said I was buying not shopping.

Like at Nordy on Saturday: I want that shirt in these three colors and those two ties. TYVM

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have any of that to worry about since I will not be celebrating either holiday and I have no one to celebrate with, anyway.

Don't feel sorry for me.

I am very happy that I had the ability to cherish good times when they were happening. I will always have that.

The upside is that I can enjoy my football games in total peace and have no concerns about what to do with the leftover Shrimp Fried Rice and Pork Egg Rolls.

Happy Holidays!

17. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just about the only thing that needs to be shopped for at the store is food. Food and those you share it with are the only important elements of this weekend. Do those well and you get a pass to shop like hell or sit on your ass.

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving. It's even more ridiculous that all this retail is open on Thanksgiving when every store has been running Black Friday/ Cyber Monday sales for weeks. And those stores being open pulls more parents away from home than teenagers.

I rarely shop on Black Friday but if I do it's well after doorbuster time has ended and I won't be at the bigger department stores. Most of the few gifts I need to buy won't be better priced this weekend than any other time so I am not going to lie. If I am out there I am shopping for me!

I do intend to support Small Business Saturday, even if all I do is order takeout from a local restaurant. As for Cyber Monday, I used to be a big disciple of shopping that day but more and more you can get free shipping and big discounts without waiting for that day so I'm not going out of my way to shop online on Monday.

19. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :nworthy:

20. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be eventually. Just sayin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.