1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Smoking Pipes

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Julie888, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do men smoke pipes any more? Saw someone today. It's pretty hard to smoke much of anything in public anymore. So do you smoke a pipe or know folks that do?

2. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do. It is definitely less common now than it was in the past. That said due to an increase in knowledge sharing through the Internet it is increasing in use among the younger adult crowd for the first time in years. It will never be a huge portion of smokers who enjoy a pipe as it takes a little practice to become proficient and occasional celebratory smokers will tend to gravitate to the cigar.

3. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't smoke but compared to Cigars and Cigarettes the smell of Pipe Tobacco is kinda pleasant.
    It has more of a pleasing sweet smelling aroma. Some Cigars can smell like a sewer!

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was growing up, my dad smoked a pipe with his own special tobacco blend. I loved that smell! Mom (a nurse) finally got him to quit. Years later (he remarried....) and now he smokes cigars and they STINK. I wish he'd kept the pipe!!!

5. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, I was going to say pipe smoke is less annoying than cigarettes/cigars as well. I don't think the kids are using pipes for tobacco these days...

6. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

You find pipe smoking, more around places of higher learning.

7. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was my memory of pipe smokers too, tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows. That or the dad in the 50s sitting in the living room in his suit. Either were always thoughtful.

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've worked in academia for 20 years and have NEVER seen a pipe on any of the campuses where I've worked. Maybe 50 years ago that was the stereotype....

(when I was an undergrad, though, my freshman year you could still smoke in classroom buildings - halls, not actual classrooms - and faculty could smoke in their offices. By the time I graduated that had all changed. Though I'm sure there were still some faculty smoking in their offices and not giving a damn that it wasn't allowed ;-)

9. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to smoke pipes a few years ago when I was in college. My brothers and I used to have "Formal Nights" every two weeks and we would wear suits, drink single malts, and smoke some pipes. Never touched a pipe since I graduated.. Still have an occasional cigar though.

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does a bong count?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.