1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf Clubs: Pack 'em or Rent 'em?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by bluerider, Nov 14, 2014.

?

Golf Clubs: Pack 'em or Rent 'em?

1. Pack 'em! I want my own sticks!

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Rent 'em! Any decent set will do!

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To all you Vegas bound golfers out there: When visiting, do you travel with your clubs, or rent them?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    always bring them.

3. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always bring them - just a comfort thing. Only playing one round this Wed (Wolf Creek) but still schlepping my bag across the continent.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won't say I always bring them, but it's pretty damn close to always -- and that adds up to a lot of TSA slips in my Club Glove since it comes out twice a month on average -- and I've always brought them to Vegas. Clubs certainly don't miraculously make us better players, we all know that, but as one noted, it's a comfort thing; nothing looks or feels like my putter and I know my 1.5-degree-open driver just looks right. And for those of us with other-than-standard configurations -- long, short, upright, flat -- it helps having the gamers. But, again, I've played some rather unbelievable places with loaner clubs.

I will say I don't have the aversion to checking a bad as many seem to have. And a travel case can consume a lot of other stuff so I can carry on with just the needed electronics and personal items.

5. jwkick

jwkick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    pack em. but has anyone used shipsticks.com for their clubs. Going to check them out will report when done one way or other

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No reason when you get bags checked for free.

7. Amn1410

Amn1410 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, anymore the norm is $50-75 to rent it seems like. More than some mid-level greens fees. I take or I don't play.

8. firemanpete3

firemanpete3 Low-Roller

always have brought with.

9. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bring ours as it's cheaper to bring them even with baggage fees than it is to rent for the amount we play. If we only planned on one round it might be different.

10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My father loves stuffing his travel bag with his clothes +
    other junk in there.

11. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always drive to Vegas, partially so as to bring my clubs and also I need a car to get to the courses.
    I've had my sticks lost going to Hawaii twice and Bandon once. Got 'em back before playing but I Fed-X now to avoid the hassle.
    I depend so much on my wedges and putter to score that I always want my clubs there.

12. Kingbarkus

Kingbarkus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always play Rio Secco and rent from there. Shoes also. They have quality rental clubs and I can't deal with the hassle of hauling my sticks across country.

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wear my golf shoes across country. When I was in Hawaii recently, I played about six rounds and took my slippahs and TRUEs. Did the same thing in Mexico last week. And it's not just flying; tomorrow I will drive to Vegas wearing them. Another advantage to going spikeless (minimal is a whole other category of goodness).

You gotta go pretty far down the food chain to get crappy rentals in a resort locale. As I said above, you might have to get used to a new look -- gobs of offset for instance and a shovel for a blade -- and if you have extreme customs specs you'll need to adapt. But, hell, most of us ain't all that good anyway.

14. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the exception of my last trip in May, I bring my clubs/shoes/etc.

When I did rent in May, it was nice trying out the new Titleist set (with Vokey wedges and Scotty putter) at Angel Park, the Ping set at Coyote, and the new TaylorMade set at Paiute. The rentals that were provided were pretty much brand new and it was great only bringing shoes, a golf glove and golf balls :peace:

Annual Golf Trip
  15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends. How many rounds are you going to play? they type of rental clubs available, how much rental clubs cost, etc.

One other thing to note, my friend rented clubs when he travelled because he wanted to try out some of the newest drivers and irons. A number of the resorts have top of the line and maybe even the newest clubs so he had a chance to try them out (also it's sometimes a pain to travel from Hawaii with your clubs). He ended up buying a new set after trying the rentals out.

16. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband prefers to bring his own. Though he has rented on shorter trips. We have to get a rental car with a big trunk cause he just leaves them in there. Probably not the best idea but glad I don't have them in the way in the room.

17. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pack em. In fact, the only suitcase I have is a golf case. I just pack some clothes in it and transfer to a carryon when I land.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.