1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sell me on Mandalay Bay Great Room suite + Delano question

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Snowbelle3, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got an amazing deal for the great room suite, so I want to hear all about the good. Also I have the option of changing the room to Delano standard suite. Thoughts?

2. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took a MB "great room" suite a few years ago and I was pretty disappointed. It is not a true suite and it has this odd "playpen" type thing in the middle of the room which is somewhat awkward for seating and takes up most of the extra space in the room.

The bathroom is quite nice and has a huge tub right in the middle (can't remember if it was a Jacuzzi or just a large tub) if that is your thing.

If you got a great deal on it, and you like nice bathrooms, you may be very happy--the room is much larger than a standard room, it is about the size of a room at Encore or Palazzo.

I have not stayed at the new Delano but I would have taken a standard suite at THE hotel over the MB great room "suite." I would suggest that, unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the tub :)

3. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Funny you say that. The soaking tub was my greatest excitement. The decor looks so bleh. I like the white colors in the Delano decor but then the bathroom has these black colors that are soo moody. Can't win unless I am sold either way.

4. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed in the great room a couple of years ago, and I didn't really care for it. Much of my complaints echo what Dankyone posted. Also, the whole concept is blah to me, one of the things I like about staying in a suite is having more than one room. It makes dealing with a hungover wife, or her having to deal with me being hungover, so much easier. I also would have preferred a room at THE hotel over the great room, and I also have yet to stay at Delano so can not recommend one or the other.

5. 2tweetz

2tweetz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    love the new decor at the Delano... will always take suite at Delano any time it's offered. bigger space, true bedroom, large bathroom, 1.5 bathrooms as well... can't go wrong here! The only issue is the over stuffed and uncomfortable bed pillows... but not a major concern...Don't get me wrong, I love the MB but whenever possible we take the Hotel, now the Delano if they will upgrade us. Last month we were actually in MB suite on a comp and then later to Delano on a true comp (meaning that comp did not have resort fees). Both came with food credits... one had $125 at MB but was doubled to $250 when I complained when our room wasn't ready after we had come back around 5 pm or so (we had first arrived around 1) and the other food/resort credit was for $200 at Delano. I cannot remember the name of the suite at MB, but it's bigger than the great room... has a dining area, dining table around the corner... however since technically the bedroom is not a seperate room, not technically a suite, however they call this a suite. Also only one very spacious and nice bathroom with a double tub. Warmer weather, prefer MB for proximity to the pool but still for us, walking from the Delano is worth it. I honestly will take either, especially on a comp. Always ask to be put up at the Delano, often they have room.

6. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would only suggest Delano, in this one situation. I believe that I read (in a TR) on VMB, that MB is renovating.

Once the renovations are done...I would tell you to take MB suite. Delano is waaaayyyyy over hyped.

7. 2tweetz

2tweetz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pressitagain?
    Have you stayed in the newly remodeled Delano? I was just there last month..it's lovely.. our suite at MB was lovely as well.. just not quite as nice as the Delano. This is probably the 5th or 6th time we've stayed at MB and the 4th time at the Hotel/the Delano. The only other hotel that was nicer was a comped Penthouse Suite at the Mirage, just because it was a penthouse.. Honestly, the Delano room we had was on par with the Encore suite and the Delano room certainly was larger. I would stay there in a heartbeat again, especially sincey they are very generous with the comps, upgrades and service!

8. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. MB resort is my home base. I've stayed at MB, TheHotel and Delano.

September was my last visit in the Delano Panoramic suite. It's white. Then there is more white.

The living room area is bland. A modern couch, a desk, a tv, and a few pictures. The bar area is the same as before. Oh, I forgot to mention the 50sqft of empty space.

The bathroom. Is right on par with MB.

The bedroom. The bed is comfortable. The pillows are not. The hanging window coverings are a disgrace.

The lobby. It's nice. It's modern. I don't sleep in the lobby. Half of the Vegas hotels have nice lobbies (MB lobby is on par).

If they put the same effort into the rooms, as they did in the lobby, maybe I would change my opinion.

The vast majority of hype they are getting is from upgraded guests of MB.

Like I said earlier, once the MB renos are complete. MB over Delano in a heartbeat.

9. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I will go with Delano because the great room, apart from the bathroom, doesnt sound great at all. now if Mb renos are coming up, I could change my mind. pressitagain when are the renos due?

10. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to Dutchvelvets TR, I believe they have already started.

Please don't misinterpret my posts. The Delano rooms are decent.

We were expecting the renovations to be comparable, to the overhaul that happened at the MGM Grand. They did it right.

11. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweet. But when will they be finished?

12. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are remodeling the rooms at Mandalay!?

I haven't stayed in a GR suite, but I think given a choice I'd pick Delano.. those rooms are nice, and the bathroom is big and the tub is big too! I'm with you on looking for a soaking tub :) Also that walk is no big deal at all...

13. 2tweetz

2tweetz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow I have a completely different opionion of the MGM. I think it's an over rated and over priced property will some very small and dingy rooms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.