1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sceptre 50 in. tv for $349 at Walmart .com

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seemed like a pretty fair deal to me so I ordered one for my golf "mancave".
    I know it's not a big name brand but I just want it to watch tv so how bad can it be??
    No way I'm getting up at 2am and trudging over to the store on black friday .

2. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be sure to check the sound on it. I bought this brand tv a couple years ago from Walmart, got it home, hooked it up and the sound wa "tinny". Like I was listening to it through a tin can. I returned it. Granted, mine was a 42incher, so the sound might be different for your 50incher.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Build quality aside, "how bad can it be?" It could be horrid. It could be fine. TV imagery is such a subjective thing. Though viewing in a big-light big-box environment says little beyond how bright they can set a tube, what did you think of the picture? What are you viewing conditions?

4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, the main differences (between bargain and top line) TVs are in the color and sound quality.

The latter can be fixed by using a sound bar. The former not so much.

If you look at them side by side, the difference are clear, but standing alone, you probably won't notice as much.

5. azcactus

azcactus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a 42" Sceptre for my parents winter place last Christmas as it was a perfect fit for the existing media cutout. Picture is good and sound is ok, although usually it's running through a receiver and external speakers. No complaints here.

6. azcactus

azcactus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, one thing that helped with dialing in the picture was doing a google search with the model number of the tv and settings. There's a bunch of tv nerds out there that come up with the perfect picture and sound settings for each tv :)

7. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My buddy bought one of those a few months ago. After about 2 months of use it turned into a sold white picture and wouldn't do a single thing.

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bought that 50" Sceptre from WalMart last year...haven't had any complaints!
    We did add a sound bar, only because we wanted to, didn't really need it.
    Blue Rays looks great, and MNF in HD looks good too!

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys,I think it's coming in for pick-up friday. I'm guessing I can fit the sucker into my Equinox,I fit the 46in. Aquos in there ok . Now I have to call DTV and have them run a line into that room and hook it up.
    Ordered the bar for that room the other day also,too bad you guys cant be here for the grand opening.
    Have a big electric fireplace in there already,the tv will sit on that ,I dont think an electric will generate enough heat to affect the tv,after all the whole thing is made of wood.
    Mrs. JG has already informed me that that room will be her cozy place to watch tv this winter.
    If the tv bombs,I'll readily admit I screwed up.

10. TheCurse1993

TheCurse1993 Tourist

Reviews are not all that great. You may want to hold out for. Black Friday. I think it's best buy that is having a 50 inch Panasonic for like $200. Sure, fuck the lines, but if you get the TV for that cheap, you'll be happy.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought 46 Sceptre 4 years ago at Costco. 2.5 years old and it starting developing black vertical lines in the picture. Costco adds a year to the warranty and since I paid with my AMEX card, they also add onto the warranty, making it a total of 3 years.

I called AMEX and I had to have a TV repair guy out and declare the TV non repairable. Sent all the paperwork in to AMEX and they gave me credit for the full purchase price and paid for the service call! Took that, bought a new 50" and moved the Sceptre into the basement exercise room. Picture is annoying, but OK for 30-40 minutes a day.

As mentioned, the sound sucks. It needs surround or at minimum, a sound bar. The 50" Haier I bought with the replacement money has a great picture, but the audio also sucks and we use a sound bar.

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input Joe,I picked it up yesterday,going to open and assemble it today. DTV guy is coming sunday. Ended up paying $339 + tax. Figure I have a 50/50 chance of this tv being a good investment after talking with a number of people at Walmart. $50 or so more I could have gotten an RCA,I thought they stopped making tv's years ago.

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supposedly target has a 50 incher for $199 on black friday and walmart has one for $218, you get what you pay for but I'm sure they're fine for most uses, plus at those prices it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't work out.

14. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

What the hell is a "sound bar" ?
    Is it like an "EQ" box -- you plug into ?

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A sound bar is a supplemental speaker that accounts for the fact that few modern TVs have sound remotely equivalent to the picture quality or the size of the modern viewing environment. It also can stand in -- opinions of course vary -- for a surround system for folks who can't/won't put one in.

Jersey, as to your comment about the extra 50 bucks for an RCA: I can't see that being an expenditure that would net any gain.

16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RCA hasn't made TV's since the late 1980's when they sold the brand to the French company Thomson.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know who is building them but the brand is definitely in the market.

18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, when Thomson of France bought RCA's television business which included the Proscan and GE brands, they decided to use the RCA name and not the Thomson name :evillaugh. Polaroid, Sylvania, Westinghouse are other examples of brand names still around, just don't look behind the curtain.

GE just sold its appliance biz to Electrolux, and I'm sure the GE name will go on.

19. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well its out of the box and set in place. It swivels which is nice anyway. .Put together two bar stools also ,the bar is being delivered tomorrow. AS far as the sound goes I'll play it by ear.I use the close captioning for a lot of shows on my Sharp Aquos that came with a sound bar My hearing sucks.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.