1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Remember when this was the second-best day of the year?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aside from insert-favorite-culturally-relevant-early-winter-celebration here, was there anything better as a kid than Halloween? Now over-dugout seats at Dodger Stadium were pretty cool, Disneyland of course, the beach at Corona del Mar and let's not forget the SD Zoo. But short of Christmas, everything else paled beside Halloween. Even my birthday wasn't quite there, but that could be a consequence of being born so close to Christmas.

The excitement at going off to school, costumed, knowing that later you could extort vast amounts of candy from the neighbors ...

Good stuff.

OK, maybe the last day of school in June ranked #2. Who cares? Halloween rocked!

2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

And I get to relive it all over w/ my 2yr 10 mos old son this Halloween !
    Last year he was very interested in the costumed trick or treaters that came to the door.
    He wasn't quite sure of it all ?
    He hid behind my leg as I opened the door -- but was fascinated.
    He knew "BOoooooooo !"
    This year I asked him if he was going to be a Pirate ?..Giraffe ?...Spiderman ?
    "No.... Roberto !" ( his name )
    I've been listening to "The Skeleton Dance" on the laptop for a month,now.
    I believe the boy is ready for tonight !
    Ken,
    I am interested in your "ranking" of special events.
    for me....
    #1....Christmas
    #2...Halloween
    #3...First day of summer vacation
    #4...My birthday
    I was looking around the TV guide for "Abbott + Costello Meet Frankenstein" --
    couldn't find it.
    I did find "Night Of The Living Dead"

3. robron

robron Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We live in a very rural area so I as an adult I always kind of dreaded the whole halloween thing because it was get home from work get the kids dressed up and then go back out into the usually cold and rainy night to drive around so the kids could get candy. One year my youngest son looked at me, after running back from yet another door, with such an excited look on his face and said "mumma this is the best day ever!". That was one of those moments in life that is ingrained into my memory, I will never forget it. I never dreaded taking the kids out after that, it made me remember my Mom doing the same thing for me. Now that the boys are 25 and 20 i miss going out trick or treating, go figure!

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My company sent me to a computer video editing school, (CMX) in Santa Clara, around Halloween in 1983 ish. It was a two week course and almost every night I did a "you would not believe" phone call back to my wife. I couldn't believe how people in Cal celebrated this non holiday. Back here it was just kids getting candy one night of the week. No big parties, no costumes for adults. My, how things have changed.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Geography not time, Joe!

6. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    our 3 kids are so Pumped it's unbelievable (4,6,7) they usually can't sleep until 10-11pm when it's on a weeknight, tonight is going to be nuts

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So twue, so twue... as a kid, Halloween was the BOMB!

8. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember getting full size candy bars from some of the neighbors. None of those little bite size bars of today. Everything from spare change to popcorn balls to candy apples to baseball card packs with bubble gum to classic candy. Oh Yeah.

9. Thor

Thor Beer Drinker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great holiday, even in class...we aren't doing much in my class today! kids are excited and talking about their costumes and plans for getting candy!

10. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was never a huge fan of Halloween when I was a kid. Where I live it was always so damn cold out (some years I remember snow on the ground) and did not want to walk around to get candy as I was never a big candy eater.

You can watch it here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlrtsa_abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein_shortfilms

11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And when it fell on Fri or Sat that was the best.

Trick or treating and then sleep over, movies, pizza, tons of candy.

Pure awesomeness.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was my favourite day of the year. And I've said why in here many times but I'll say it again. It was the only holiday my parents didn't fight. The whole family was focused on having a good time. My mother was a fat person in a skinny person's body so she bought a lot of really good candy. Trick or treating was an evening of total freedom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.