1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

McGoo gets VIMFPed TR

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by McGoo, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This trip report is brought to you by Pabst Blue Ribbon, Binion's Famous Hamburgers and farts.

I was fortunate to squeeze in a trip to Las Vegas for the Vegas Internet Mofia Family Picnic or for short "VIMFP". For those of you who have no idea what am talking about, VIMPF is an annual gathering of great Vegas minds, put on by the wonderful people at Vegastripping.com and the Vegas Gang Podcast. The weekend includes meet ups, gambling events, concerts, and the main event featuring live podcasts from Vegas gang and Five Hundy by Midnight. This event for the past few years has occurred during the 3rd week of October. My job demanded that I be in office the 3rd week of every month for a big contract deliverable. Well I got a new job, same company, no 3rd week restriction. Kind of a bucket list thing for me and I was pumped to be able to attend.

Here is my VIMPF weekend survival kit:
    IMG_2935.jpg

2. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flight kerfuckle:
    I know that nobody cares what flight I took, but I must share my flight clusterfuck. So first mistake, I flew Spirit. You know there has been times where I have almost defended this airline, but alas this is no more. Let me preface by saying that I have some fault in this. With Spirit, you pay to choose your seat, any seat, even those in the back by the can. In the past I have always checked in at the airport and was able to pick any seat I wanted for no extra cost, being a solo traveller this often landed me in an emergency row seat. But Spirit wised up to this tactic, had I have known, I would have checked in 24 hours in advance like everyone else. When I printed my boarding pass it said "please see gate for seat assignment" and I thought to myself "shit, fuck, damn, this ain't good". I hurried to the gate and waited for any spirit employee. Eventually I found Thomas and confirmed to me that the flight was oversold, I did not have a seat and that I would be booked on the next flight out at 7pm connecting through Houston arriving at midnight LV time, fucking midnight!! It was currently 9am.
    I tried to keep calm, keep cool, but I was going to Vegas!, this wasn't some work trip that I couldn't care less about, this was my trip to Vegas. So I freaked out alittle, just alittle, threw my hands in the air, said that I paid to be on this flight, how could this be possible, blah blah accomplishing nothing blah. I thought maybe I could make friendly with Thomas, apologized for my little tantrum. I shook the clammy hand of the completely emotionless and monotone Thomas and pleaded with him that it was very important (it wasn't) that I get to Vegas on this flight and to please take some pity on me. I sat in a seat right beside the counter and nearly burnt a hole in the side of Thomas's head shooting him lasers from my eyes. I watched his every move, read his lips, studied every customer interaction, in desperation of any good news. 45 mins passed, and I was starting to think all hope was lost, then the phone rang at the desk. Thomas answered, nodded, tippidy typed, and a receipt like paper came out of the printer, he very slowly turned his head towards me and our eyes met. JACKPOT! He motioned me over and informed me that 3 flight attendants were deadheading to LV and one had cancelled. Just like that I had a boarding pass with seat number in hand! It was like losing your entire week's bankroll in the first hour, then dropping your last three quarters in a slot and with one pull winning it all back.

The most glorious piece of paper I have ever held, I framed it and hung it above my toilet.

IMG_2941.jpg

This story is not over yet. I'm on the plane in MY seat and life is friggin' beautiful, but I'm still a bit on edge. We are just about to taxi out when a Flight attendant and Police office come on the plane and instruct rows 7-9 to exit the plane and leave all items behind to be searched, I was in row 9. We exited the plane and lined up in the jet bridge, and watched cluelessly as police, TSA and undercovers came back and forth. 30 mins or so passed and we are instructed to reboard, but only to grab our stuff. They decided to evacuate the plane, search it and bring all the passengers take back through security before re-board. I was sitting beside a flight attendent, and asked her if she had ever seen this before. I just assumed her answer would be "Oh, all the time"' but instead she replied "Never, and I've been doing this for 15 years". The process took an hour or so, and once on board and preparing for taxi, the flight crew informed that a live round of ammunition had been found on the flight ( a .22 bullet). I think I should have been concerned, but that this point I was willing to risk anything to get to Vegas. And get there I did, only about 1.5 hrs late, thats a whole sooner then midnight!

3. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a tradition I always have my first beer at MSS Boar's Head Bar, but I cheated on the hog. I got off the Wax bus and was walking towards Golden Gate to check in, but my feet led me right into Chicago Brew Pub for my first beer of the trip, this is always one of my favorite moment of a any trip!

IMG_2942.jpg

Golden Gate room
    I knew these rooms were small, but when I opened the door and it brushed the side of the bed, I laughed my ass off. Since your head is about 4 feet from the door, you get a lot of detailed hallway noise. It was an interior room and had a wonderful view of an old external stair case. The bathroom was small but just fine for a solo traveller. The shower had a bit of a learning curve to understand how to reach the optimal temperature. I can say that this hotel has no lack of boiling hot water. Tip: turn the cold on first, then slowly add the hot water for a comfortable temp.
    I hate to complain but my last night in that room was miserable. I had caught a nasty cold the day previous and had a brutal sore throat, and needed to get up early to catch my flight. I fell asleep around 11 pm and was awoken at midnight by some intense hair metal! The band Arena on the main street stage. Even though I had asked for an internal room knowing how loud it could be, I was surprised that I could hear everything, and it was loud! wall shaking loud! Honestly I can't even image how loud those front rooms must be. Any other night, I wouldn't have cared and would have used it as an excuse to get up and gamble. The band continued, from what I remember till about 2am then I just flopped around for 3 hours until my alarm. I can't say that I would stay at Golden Gate again, only for that reason. Why didn't I bring ear plugs?, oohhh why?

IMG_2946.jpg IMG_2953.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  4. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SLS: Somewhat like Sideways
    I spent Thursday on the strip, day drinking and playing loose 2/4 poker at the Flamingo. I took the Monorail down to SLS for a little look around.
    Overall I thought the property was dark and a vacant feeling, just the overall vibe I got from it. It just didn't feel like a place I would want to hang around in, you understand. MSS feels like home to me. Since it is conveniently located on the monorail route, I could see myself staying here for a night or two in the future, but it would have to be Riveria cheap. I settled in at the Sports book bar for some VP and had 3 or 4 Osker Blue Little Yella Pilsners (good taste, easy drinking). The staff were running around like chickens with their head cut off, they obviously were all new and didn't know where anything was.. I hardly played my VP machine, I just sat there and watched the servers run around asking "where the fuck is the cranberry juice?" "This bitch printer won't print" The best circus I've ever been to.

A middle aged man sits next to me, pops in a $20 and asks for a glass of Cabernet. The bartender, a polite female who had only been there two weeks, apologizes and tell him they can't comp the cabernet. His response "You gotta be f'n kidding me, this is f'n crazy, I can't get a f'n glass of f'n Cabernet? you want to give me a f'n melot, this is f'n insane, ahhhhhh!" This guy goes bat shit crazy, it was awesome! I was dying inside from laughter, it was just like that scene in the movie Sideways "I will not drink fucking Melot!!!" The bartender eyes lit up and she says maybe I should get my manager. Well this guy was obviously an asshole, no doubt, but the manager did not improve the situation. The manager arrives and asks what going on, the guy says "I just lost $3 f'n thousand over there, come over here and can't get a f'n glass of Cabernet in this f'n shithole" As much as you don't want to give in to this guy, you gotta shut him up, people stopped and starred. If I was the manager, I would have just poured him the glass of Cabernet, apologized and washed my hands of it. Instead the manager says "Sir, please give me your players card and I will check if you have enough points for a glass of Cabernet" oh lord, what a terrible response. The guy blow his top again, and fires back "Get the f outta here, are you f'n kidding me, your not going to use my points for this, f off" At this point I am amazed they didn't call security, the bartender just poured the cabernet, and the manager alerted him to the fact that he had his glass of wine and walked away. Just awesome to witness this! I talked with the guy after and it appeared to me that maybe he sort of planned to do this for whatever reason. Once he left , the Bartender told me that she thought she was being mystery shopped, or was on a hidden camera show. Nope just a Jerkasaurus Rex.

IMG_3009.jpg IMG_3006.jpg IMG_3002.jpg

5. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a little thing happening downtown, so I'll post the rest tomorrow

6. StuckinDelRio

StuckinDelRio Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's awesome, only in Vegas lol....they were gonna deduct the points off his rewards card lol.

7. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McGoo I just flew Spirit out of DFW and it was pretty smooth there and back. I would have freaked out on the police asking us to deplane. Looking forward to more of the TR.

Funny about the ASSfark at SLS over a glass of wine.

8. The Fixer

The Fixer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for mentioning Sideways, I never heard of the movie but your comment made me check out the merlot quote
    and then the trailer and some reviews. Im about to watch it.

9. bebevegas

bebevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's TR's like yours that make me so thankful I've found this site!

10. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VIMPF

A big thanks to the guys at Vegastripping.com and the Vegas gang for putting this event together! And a big thanks to Derek Stevens at the D, He and his staff are so accommodating and gracious to our group! it's really unbelievable.
    On Friday I attended the Five Hundy by midnight meet up at the D Vue bar. I was able to have a quick chat with Tim and Michelle of Five Hundy Podcast fame and had a quick chat about bands! After that I didn't really know anyone, so I sank back to my old social crutch....gambling. I found a DDB machine very near to the meet up so that I could make believe that I was still participating. A good thing I did as I quickly hit a couple premium quads, thank you shyness! That night I was able stayed up long enough to attend the VIMFP Undercard event at the D. This was just a get together in the showroom with some hilarious happenings from member of the Vegas gang and Five Hundy. I don't remember much because of the drink and neither do many other people.
    Then the big main event on Saturday afternoon, it was so great getting to see, in person, the event I had been listening to for the past couple of years. It featured live podcasts from Vegas Gang and Five Hundy, a Dr. Dave history lesson and the Vegas gang match game!

IMG_3023.jpg IMG_3028.jpg IMG_3054.jpg IMG_3056.jpg

11. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loving your report....got to try to make VIMPF one of these years. Love the cabernet story. I can't believe how small that Golden Gate room is!

12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol at the sideways moment. I also noticed you had some oskar blues there. Hope for craft beer? When I visited in Sept., bars were either closed / too busy to get a machine. So I settled for Bud and 99.96% vp on the floor instead.

Look forward to more!

13. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome TR, I swear Natedog666 TR's are spectacular, but shit like this is great

this weekend I'm going to do my usual Gambol, drink way too much and "because strip clubs"

but never considered doing an "Asshole Safari" should be a fun game to watch some self-important pricks just make fools of themselves
    if I'm lucky I'll be around for security to bounce them

14. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This one line perfectly encapsulates my feeling whenever I face the reality of what a solo VIMPF trip would mean for me. Great report! Thanks for sharing.

15. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the positive comments, this trip was a little boring to write up, but it was a great trip!, here is the rest

16. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, pretty much! Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think when you enter into this solo you have two options. 1. Throw yourself into it and be super outgoing or 2. Sit back, enjoy and decide how social you want to be, if at all. I choose #2, but I am confident that the VIMFP group would welcome you in either option. I didn't want to pressure myself to any different than I usually am. I would love to go again in a couple years!

17. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sammy Hagar Birthday Bash

The D graciously gave everyone in attendance a free ticket to the big Sammy Hagar Birthday bash that night, just an amazing gesture! I am not that familiar with Sammy's music, but why not go? a gambling distraction. Great concert, knew most of the songs and it was a really great event! It was all fun and games until Chad Kroeger showed up. But I got to see a fight break out!

IMG_3074.jpg IMG_3079.jpg IMG_3098.jpg

18. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food and Drink ;
    I really just wanted to eat at all my favorites one last time: Binions Cafe, Aloha Specialties, Dupars, Pizza Rock, Secret Pizza, Le Thai, Prime Rib at Cal Cafe, American Coney. Pizza Rock was just ok this time, at least Le Thai is still awesome:

IMG_2956.jpg IMG_3031.jpg

I had dinner at the Linq Yard for happy hour and thought it was a great place, nice big bar tops with lots of room, great chicken nachos, 1/2 off Happy Hour food selection and good selection of beer. Here I had the Dechutes Chain Breaker and the Epic Hopulent Nitro IPA and it was epic, this was my first time trying a nitro ipa.

IMG_2990.jpg

Beer: of course I spent some time in Banger Brewing sampling more of their IPAs (Perfect 10, Hoppy Lager, FarmersTan & Hop Bang Boom), all pretty good and always something new there. At MSS I was disappointed to see all of their specialty brew taps off at boars head and 777, they only had their new Octoberfest, which was decent. No VIPA on tap that week. At Pizza rock I had a Rogue Shakespeare Nitro Stout, which was as good as any stout. Spent a hour or so at Tag bar in the Linq, great place! they will comp generally any beer under $8, good conversation with the barkeep goes a long way here. I think for a strip beer bar, their prices are very reasonable! Here I had a Full Sail IPA, Firestone Union Jack IPA, Wasatch Devastator Dopple Bock and hit three quads!
    I had a bunch of other beers throughout the week, most of which I have had before. The Bars at the 4Qs now have Dechutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale on tap. Also the D has a grapefruit beer (Radler) on tap that is for sure sweetened, tasted like grapefruit soda. The D also has on tap Alaskan Freeride APA, which I think is awesome! but they have dropped Magic Hat.
    What really sucked was that for the last two days of the trip, my throat was so sore that carbonated beverages where hard to put down. I drank threw it.

IMG_2957.jpg IMG_2983.jpg IMG_2985.jpg IMG_2989.jpg IMG_3030.jpg

19. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McGoo, the flight, food and drinks are great and all but get to the gambling for fack's sake

20. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've want to hit VIMFP again. I went when it was at PH but I missed out on 90% of the program because of drinking.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.